Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2010 Crosstour... DEAD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
2010 Crosstour... DEAD!!!

I was on my way to O'hare International Airport when suddenly my 2010 4WD EXL Crosstour with only 19K miles suddenly stalls and dies in the middle of the street...
car won't start, engine won't turn and is literally dead. Good thing I was still on local street... no one behind me and have not jumped on I90 yet.

3 hours later, I got a call from Honda service... battery good but car still dead.
Now here's the kicker... the ECU did not throw any code whatsoever so they don't have a clue of what going on.

and my courtesy car... 2011 CRV #23 awd leather with 90 miles on it... LOL and I thought I was done with CRVs...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Damn - sorry to hear. That's a nice car, and hope they treat you right at the dealer.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
wow man...thats messed. i know how you feel. my fit died on me back in august. hope all goes well.

oh, and at least you have a honda for a loner car.....i got stuck with a jetta....

Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 PM
is this the dreaded "lost motion spring"???

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
is this the dreaded "lost motion spring"???
Is this the J35Z engine? which cylinder head?

Any chance you know if they gave it the Ridgeline (Z5), Pilot (Z1,Z4), TSX (Z6) or Accord (Z2,Z3) heads?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Is this the J35Z engine? which cylinder head?

Any chance you know if they gave it the Ridgeline (Z5), Pilot (Z1,Z4), TSX (Z6) or Accord (Z2,Z3) heads?
I'm pretty positive it's a J35Z but not sure which head are in it. They do have the same engine as the sedan... 271hp 3.5 v6

Old 02-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Looking into this...

When you went to crank the motor over after it died did it make any noise? Could you hear the starter or any relays click? Or the fuel pump priming?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 AM
not even a squeak or a click... it's almost look like a dead battery but will that was not the case said the Honda tech. It was neither electrical they say...

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 02-27-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 AM
not even a squeak or a click... it's almost look like a dead battery but will that was not the case said the Honda tech. It was neither electrical they say...
Did all of your lights and dash function with the key on? Or literally everything died at the same time?

That sounds suspiciously like a bad ECU ground even though they are saying it is not electrical.. or a dead fuel pump or a failed relay somewhere.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-27-2011 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:50 AM
instrument lights acted like everything was normal when in on, off and when trying to start

Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM
instrument lights acted like everything was normal when in on, off and when trying to start

Hmm... that would still put me at the stage of diagnostics where I would be checking relays/fusible links and grounds.

If you dropped one of the lost motion springs the starter, fuel pump, etc. would all still try to crank the motor.

So you'd hear all the clicking and whirring.

With a bad ECU ground, depending on which ground lead, you could have all the symptoms you are describing. Or absolutely nothing would work.

With a dead fuel pump, you would've heard the starter pop the gear in place and click against the Ring gear on the T/C.

But with a blown alternator fuse, or starter fuse you would get no click. The blown alternator fuse would simply run down the battery till accessories stopped working, lights dimmed than the car would die.

With the starter fuse/relay or the Fuel pump fuse/relay gone you would have all your electronics working but no clicking or whirring..

Bad grounds can have any number of goofy effects depending on what lost contact or corroded.

For the car to just die and not even attempt to turn over or prime, but all the electronics function as normal.. there are no direct mechanical issues that would do it, but fail-safes or limp/safe modes resulting from a detected sensor or mechanical failure would do that.

A disconnected MAF, MAP, TPS or O2 sensor can cause this as well through they would throw DTCs... maybe not though... weirder things have happened.

When do you get to hear about your car? I am really curious to see what they find.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-27-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I'll update as soon as I get more word from the dealer. What's bugging me tho is that the ECU did not throw any code.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Dealer harness hack job?

Does it have the KARR imobilizer hack job harness installed?

If so, I only ask because many of those dealer add-ons add a ton of spaghetti to your harness and create a lot of failure points under the dash. For example, they splice right into the main ignition power supply and use crimp connectors to bypass it. That spaghetti is still there even if you don't buy the brain when buying the car.

good luck and let us know :)

Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM
no, there is no dealer add on

Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I knew it... I knew it... I knew it!!! omg i'm freaking out!!!

I was on my way to the dealer around 4pm as I left some keys in the crosstour. As I was on my way, phone rings and it was the dealer head mechanic... they still can't get the engine to turn... crank wont turn and said it's mechanical and internal and is at the bottom part of the engine he added. I then told him about the conversation we had about the LMSpring recall on the Fits and how symptom turned out to be exactly as the recall notice described. He still did not tell me that it was that but I'm 90% sure it is. When I arrived at the dealer, I showed him the FIT recall thread and the picture I posted of the Lost Motion Spring https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post964464. He kept his silence and went on to entertain my point (as any responsible and informed mechanic should) and proceeded to look into picture as I pointed on the spring. Still without agreeing or confirming what specifically the problem was... he told me to don't worry as the needed part should be here Wednesday and all should be fine.

Got no qualms with the tech and would actually commend him on how he handled himself, the situation and my already freaked out self.

So... what are your thoughts?

this is what I showed to the tech:
here's the little booger... like I said... it's a simple procedure... (it's under the bridge :D)

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 02-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Did you purchase your Honda's from Schaumburg Honda? I've been there twice and couldn't stand it for one bit. I'd say for any future problems, which there hopefully aren't any, take it up to MotorWerks in Barrington. Not the biggest Honda dealership, but their service guys know their shit. Thats where I bought mine at and thats where I take it for any service.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Professionally handled and dealt with. I think you're revealing the true value of this site and our love of the Honda Fit. You went in well prepared. One or three steps ahead of dealer/service dept.

As the tech said, not to worry.

kudos to you!!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member

Got no qualms with the tech and would actually commend him on how he handled himself, the situation and my already freaked out self.

are you on any crosstour forums?

i was checking one out. this one looks like the most active...
Honda Crosstour Forums

you could probably create quite a stir over there.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by spin out
are you on any crosstour forums?

i was checking one out. this one looks like the most active...
Honda Crosstour Forums

you could probably create quite a stir over there.
I forgot about that forum LOL I'm in on that but it was so quiet back then and I went back to driveaccord.

I'll post...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM
UPDATE: it's not LMS

Just got a call from service... CT is done and ready for pickup. Here's what happened, they said one of the valves broke. They replaced valves, the shortblock... basically the bottom port of the engine and change the belt/s too. I will get more detailed report when I pick it up.

Oh well... if it breaks... it breaks and this car isn't even driven hard. Only alot of short distance drives as it is used for home health care only this winter. Which of course do alot of stress on the engine... but nothing like this had happened on my 99 accord, 08 crv and the FIT.

Quick Reply: 2010 Crosstour... DEAD!!!