Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The Man Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
The Man Pedal

Ordered this from Zazzle... This shirt cracks me up...

So glad to be back in a stick shift!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Go to Car and Driver and get a "save the manuals " magnet for the Scion.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Haha!! Glad you are back in a stick shift. How do you like your TC's 6 speed?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I've had lots of cars with manuals - it's not as slick as the one in my '01 Civic (which really set the bar to me), but better than my '92 Accord. All my other sticks were in truckish vehicle, or the Element (which had an Accord stick shift masquerading as a truck stick shift).

The clutch throw is on the longer side, but not particularly heavy. Some Honda's I've driven have had clutches that are extremely short and light, almost like a second accelerator pedal. This one has received some criticism from shorter drivers because of its long travel, but is great for a Daddy-Long-legs like me. The shifter isn't a particularly short-throw model, but it engages easily.

The only part that has been difficult for me is remembering where reverse is located.

Every other manual I've owned or driven (I've owned five, exwife owned two more) had the following pattern:

This one, with it's six-speed, has the following:

My arm fights my brain when it's time to shift to 6th. "NO Brain, that's reverse! it'll blow up on the freeway!"

Reverse is engaged by going to the left, past first, and up.

There's a lockout switch to keep it from going into reverse when you're aiming for first. To get all the way to the far left gate, you have to squeeze the trim-ring below the shift-knob.

I'm sure it will become more natural over time, but more than once over the first few days, I accidentally tossed it in R while aiming for 1 because I inadvertently grabbed the trim ring, and I've stalled trying to back out in 6th. I think I've got it totally down now... reminds me of trying to drive an old automatic from before the PRND order was fully established.

The engine is a far different beast than the Fit's. It doesn't need to be revved high to get you the needed power; there's plenty of pull from the engine at low RPM, and having 2.5L of displacement provides plenty of torque (very similar to the torque curve of the Accord's 2.4L). It's a DOHC engine with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust side, and (I've never heard of this before) it uses a variable length intake manifold, adjusting as necessary to ensure low-end torque. It really does seem like one of those "Eh, shift it if you want, but otherwise, I'll just make do" soft of drivetrains; I've surprised sometimes when I start up a grade and don't need to downshift.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah: @TurbomanGT: My buddy drove it last Saturday. On Monday, he traded his paid off Tundra Crew-Cab for an '08 Civic SI. The SI had been on my short list, and the engine sounds like a real blast, but someone at Honda needs to be shot for that interior. The Civic's used to have nice low seats with abundant legroom... I kept trying to crank his seat lower, and the legroom is not what it used to be (plus the stupid E-brake poking my knee).

OK, so it doesn't matter to the 90+% of the population that doesn't have long legs (35" inseam), but it matters to me dammit!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I totally understand your POV. I'm 6'-1" 220lbs and I need the seat all the way back and lowered all the way for the perfect comfort level. If I were any taller I'd be screwed lol. The K20 is a blast to drive IMO and is probably my favorite "feature." The only thing that I didn't like was the stock shifter had a "notchy" feel so I put in the mugen short shifter with the mugen knob. Also in about 5k I'm going with Amsoil tranny fluid.

I haven't had the pleasure of driving the new TC but I'm intrigued to test the 2.5 mated with a 6 speed. I'm gonna add that to my list of things to do.

Again I'm glad to see you're back in a manual. In my circle I'm the biggest manual advocate (or man pedal advocate haha.)

Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm 6'1 as well, but all of my height is in my arms and legs. I've never sat in a car and thought a lick about headroom, but I almost always pine for legroom.

The tC would not be enjoyable if headroom is a major concern:

Old 03-13-2011, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
99 Integra = always comfy (except for the previous owner installing Del Sol seats :facepalm:)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Never start collecting old cars!
Every manual car I have ever driven has had a different shift pattern!
At this point I am pretty used to the 914 pattern, which puts Rev left and up, 1st left and down, with 2 and 3 on the same plane.

Whenever I drive a "modern" manual, I am almost always trying to start in second. Which is fine for my truck (especially since its non-op for a new engine) but does not work nearly as well with most cars.

I learned stick on an English (wrong side drive) car. Not only was the pattern different, it even used the wrong arm!

Zach

Originally Posted by Occam
The only part that has been difficult for me is remembering where reverse is located.

Every other manual I've owned or driven (I've owned five, exwife owned two more) had the following pattern:

This one, with it's six-speed, has the following:

My arm fights my brain when it's time to shift to 6th. "NO Brain, that's reverse! it'll blow up on the freeway!"