Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2012 Hyundai Accent

Old 04-30-2011, 01:47 AM
2012 Hyundai Accent

New York 11': 2012 Hyundai Accent Officially Unveiled (The Torque Report)

"The 2012 Accent's all-aluminum 1.6-liter Gamma four-cylinder engine utilizes the latest engine technology to deliver a class-leading 138 horsepower and 123 lb-ft of torque and a best-in-class standard 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway fuel economy rating.

The engine's most notable feature is its use of GDI, a first for the subcompact category. By precisely controlling the injection of fuel, GDI allows for better fuel economy, increased power and reduced emissions. The application of Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT) on both intake and exhaust camshafts allows for increased efficiency, improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.
Gamma highlights include:

- Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)
-- D-CVVT (intake and exhaust camshaft phaser) camshafts and hydraulic engine mounts provide optimum power, efficiency and refinement. Using CVVT on both camshafts has several advantages when compared to using it only on the intake camshaft including an improvement in performance (increased volumetric efficiency) and fuel economy (reduced pumping loss), and a reduction in hydrocarbon emissions"

"Accent's fuel economy is 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway, with the six-speed automatic transmission or manual transmission. These figures give Accent a highway-only driving range of up to 456 miles."

OK, so dual continuously variable valve timing is pretty commonplace these days, but direct injection is pretty damn notable in this class. and 30/40? with the 6-speed manual or 6 speed auto? You're up Honda. Do you want to call, raise, or fold?

Cargo volume is 21.2 cubic feet for the hatch, and 47.5 with the seats folded.

And none of this "Pssh, it's a Hyundai, they're crap." Surely a company of Honda's caliber can compete technologically with the best of Seoul.

Last edited by Occam; 04-30-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 AM
That's nice. I would consider one if I'm in the market for a new car.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Not bad. Hyundai still seems to be cribbing design elements from other marques rather than developing a distinctive design identity of their own but they have become a much more serious competitor in recent years. Both the 2012 Veloster and the 2012 Accent look quite promising and the 2011 Elantra is supposed to offer a reasonable alternative to Civics and Corollas for consumers looking for basic economical transportation. If Hyundai can get their suspension and handling a little more sorted out and hires a really good designer Honda is going to face major pressure from Korea.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:11 PM
It looks a bit like a Fiesta. And a Fit. And... well, most of the cars in this segment look pretty much the same. The Citroens and Renaults and Fiats usually have some distinctive style, but over here (save for the Juke, which despite it's crossover intentions, is a subcompact car), they all kinda look alike. It's not Mini / Fiat500 / Smart distinctive, but like the Fit, has that nice conservative "nothing offensive" look that has made Honda and Toyota very wealthy. The shape isn't the most sleek, but you don't expect sleek shapes in a segment that's all about value and function.

The steering wheel made me do a double take! Looks very familiar.

I like the high mounted stoplights. I liked them in the CR-V, in the Mazda5, in GM Dustbuster vans, in the Nissan xTrails... they make sense, especially in a small car: let everyone behind know that you are stopping, even if your lower half if hidden from view, and maybe you won't get smashed like a beer can against Teg Nugent's head.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks like another winner from Hyundai. Honda would indeed be foolish to underestimate them. 138 hp in that little lightweight package should make it the speed king in the class, I look forward to reading the reviews of it.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 PM
And here's the sister-branded Rio...

Same 138-hp engine, same 30/40 mpg. Apparently they are adding computer controlled start/stop like the Prius to instantly kill and restart the engine and save fuel while stopped.

Hard to believe that just 6 or 7 years ago, these things were throwaway cars that they offered for free if you bought one of their Sedona minivans.

People have been saying for 5-10 years that Hyundai/Kia were going to eat Honda and Toyota's lunch, and it appears to be happening.

Honda can't seem to make a Civic without breaking out the 2003 Camry plans, but it's at least more interesting than the Corolla. The next Accord better have some sweet tricks up its sleeve, because the new Optima is a pretty damn awesome slam dunk. The Fit? It has gone from the uncontested winner of this field to a pretty good car.

No capacity numbers on the Kia, but the Hyundai comes very close to meeting the Fit's cargo/interior volume without resorting to shifting the gas tank forward and compromising front seat adjustment.

The difference in fuel economy AND power are simply jaw-dropping... Where the F!@# are Honda's GDI engines? Where is the dual continuously variable valve timing on the Fit? Why are they putting SOHC engines in these cars? Why still only 5 speed transmissions?

I miss Honda being the company that was at the forefront of tech. Remember when Korea was building claptrap cars out of 10-20 year old Ford and Mazda parts (there's a reason Kia uses an oval), and the domestics were still using pushrod iron-block dinosaurs for everything?

THose days are gone, and Honda is starting to look like an aging all-star that can't keep up with the latest rookies. Remember Buick 10 years ago? Good solid cars (they always scored well on reliability) with yesteryears technology that appealed to older buyers who wanted to stay in their comfort zones... is this what Honda is going for?

I looked at the Kia Forte Koup briefly before buying the tC, but it didn't seem to offer enough over the tC to skip out on Toyota's reputation for long term quality. The Forte will likly be the next in line for a refresh, and next in line to be modernized with Direct Injection - if they tossed that Theta II 2.4-liter (198 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque) that somehow makes 23 city/35 highway in the nearly full-size Optima in there, it would have been a far more difficult decision.

The easy years are over - it's time for Honda to either put up its A-game or just get used to being an also-ran. There's a strong parallel to the Detroit-3 underestimating those little rust-instantly Japanese cars a generation ago.

I know I seem really harsh on Honda right now, but I sorta come from a 'Honda family' Everyone in my immediate or near extended family drives one save for my maternal Uncle (Toyota) and my paternal grandmother (Grand Marquis that she's no longer able to drive).

Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
kdm designs have followers

Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Nice! The offerings out of Korea look outstanding. Competition is good IMO. Hope Honda's answer will be something to cheer about.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I like the Rio's looks better, but I wouldn't buy either based on the exterior.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I like the Rio's looks better, but I wouldn't buy either based on the exterior.
Aside from the Mini Cooper and Clubman, who actually buys a b-class car for looks? ;-)

Old 05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that's a confusing looking car... like a volvo/toyota/honda mix but nothing original... typical hyundai i guess.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
I really like the stance of the Kia in the rear view above.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Most subcompacts look about the same, unless you especially obsess over them. There's nothing that stands out in particular about most of them stylistically. Someone one said my Ninja 650 looked just like a friend's CBR600. If people mistake a sporty twin with underengine exhaust for a supersport with clipons, then econoboxes with far more design commonalities aren't going to stand out a bit. Another rides a Honda Shadow and has people call it a Harley all the time... Seriously.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Aside from the Mini Cooper and Clubman, who actually buys a b-class car for looks? ;-)
Looks is what drew me in to buy a GD

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Looks is what drew me in to buy a GD
Not fair... The GD had charm! And when it arrived, the US market wasn't crawling with B-class hatches. A Dodge Grand Caravan is about as generic as it gets, but the one I drove around Greece stood out!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Haha hey I had a trump card and had to play it

Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Hope this means honda steps their game up. Accent looks like the better buy if you dont mind the looks. Heck, even the new 2012 imprezas are going to get 27 city 36mpg highway 148hp and AWD.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Honda is behind right now but will get back in the game in a few years when sales start to whine down significantly.