Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The conspiracy: "they" have had 80mpg ability for years.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
diesels back then burned too dirty vs doing anything good for the environment, no?

i remember hating when my dad drove behind diesel engine cars back in the days... all tha brown smoke coming from the exhaust and the fumes. etc. yuk

Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
diesels back then burned too dirty vs doing anything good for the environment, no?

i remember hating when my dad drove behind diesel engine cars back in the days... all tha brown smoke coming from the exhaust and the fumes. etc. yuk
Diesels still burn dirty, you don't see much smoke now because the Govt. did get stricter on smog control, but also the manufacturers have found ways to reduce the black smoke as it's going down the exhuast after it comes out the engine. They inject fluid into the cats that "capture" the black smoke, as well as various other things.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by soulfly
Has anyone heard such? that auto companies or one in particular has had the ability to make cars do up to 80mpg on gas but due to some conspiracy? of sorts with the oil companies that they will never release it? I have heard similar for a few years and always shrugged it off, but a personal story i heard made me wonder.

A guy i work with has a friend who bought a Toyota or Ford...i forget which. The guy was saying he only used like 2 gallons in "x" amount of miles, apparently some 50+ MPG but soon thereafter got a notice from the dealer saying he must return the vehicle due to a defect.
Upon inquiring, he was more or less told that the fuel injection system in his car was actually a prototype and somehow by accident made its way into the dealers lot. Now their trying to get it back, quite badly apparently.

Now i don't know how true the story really is. I just wondered if any of you guys have heard such, believe its true or not true?
Apparently there is a similar conspiracy with hybrid vehicles..something about Chevy and a hybrid they had in the early 90's that was only released as a rental vehicle? i forgot the details but seemed interesting.

This a very old scam. The Fish Carb was touted as one that got 80 mpg back in the thirties but the oil companies bought the design to keep gas sales high. Likewise, that truck.
Include it with the other 'devices' that claim better mpg. Like old Barnum said there's one born every minute. Or you can fool some of the people sometimes, enough to make a good living, but you can't fool everybody all the time.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
While I am confident that engineers could develop anything, whether the public would buy it is a different story.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
They'll release these engines when gas is obsolete...

Old 06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm convinced it is snake oil. I heard that kind of talk 60 years ago. If there was any truth to it I'm sure it would have been exposed by now.