Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Nissan Versa Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Nissan Versa Impressions

While my wife currently drives a Fit Sport, I have been looking at a possible replacement for my 2003 Accord (I'd like a hatchback for runs to Home Depot and a smaller payment). So I have a short list of cars that fit me: the Pontiac Vibe, the VW Rabbit and the Versa.

Last evening I test drove a 6 speed manual Versa and a CVT Automatic model.

The manual transmission is a little loose and sloppy and there was a definite increase in engine noise while going through the gears. The CVT offered a much smoother, quieter ride.

The most impressive thing about this car is the interior space for passengers. It's HUGE on the inside. I'm 6'7" and for the first time in a long time, my legs and knees didn't come into contact with anything. Generally I'm either wedged up against the door or the center console. My knees were free on both sides. Head room is more than ample and the space in the backseat is absolutely ridiculous. I could sit behind myself with relative ease. There's more room in the backseat than my Accord.

If you want a sub-compact people mover, this car is it.

On the storage side of things, with the seats down it does offer more cargo space than the Fit (by about 10 cubic feet I believe), but the seats don't fold flat, which is somewhat annoying.

Price wise, the model I looked at (SL + CVT) was sub 20,000 CDN before taxes which is pretty impressive given the fact that it includes the 1300 dollar CVT option.

We're going to go back for a longer test drive next week, but at this point I would still rank the Vibe and the Rabbit ahead of the Nissan product. From a reliability perspective, I don't know how comfortable I would be buying Nissan.

Thoughts?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
You're correct - a fully specced out Nissan Versa (even WITH the technology package which just makes a geek like me drool) comes out to approx $1500 CAD cheaper than the Fit Sport.

I have yet to test drive any of them, but I have driven my friend's Matrix, which is a copy of the Vibe for all intents and purposes - It's not bad, but it's not close to the handling of the Fit.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by crimsona
It's not bad, but it's not close to the handling of the Fit.
Oh I agree. I'd buy a Fit tomorrow if there was just a little more legroom in the front seats. It's comfortable enough for me to drive it occasionally, but alas it's not big enough for it to be a daily driver for me.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Versa= serious and plush... Fit = sporty and fun to drive

I sit on the versa, and is really pretty and serious on the inside. The Exterior is not miss universe ( but nor our Fit's ) and is big in the inside, and just right on the outside. Ther rear of the versa is simply more sexy than the Fit's. I preffer the fit for the resale value, ahhhhhh, the handling!!!, but that is something that I took for granted (I M by no means dissapointed...The Fit handles great and I am beating the hell out of it) because I just read it. I did not even have the oportunity to test drive the versa, so too bad for nissan, I moved to honda.

One more thing. Dont be blind for the car names. I have had 4 sentras and they never, ever broke (but the 92' SE-R.... Too many races on NO2 125horses)

Nissan really offers pretty reliable cars, and so honda. please don't come and sell me the idea (thow my be well supported) of honda superiority and stuff. I lived the good experience and that wont go of my mind easely.Plus I bought the Fit. Thanks for taking time to read:D :D

Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Plus,

If my wife were driving a Fit sport (have to be manual)( she is driving an Escape). More the reason to buy the Versa. See, don't want to have 2 of the same cars in house ( only if they were Porsches and the only desicion were the color). Anyway , is your money. Spend it how you like, not how anybody likes.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I ended up buying a Versa with CVT. I should have it within a couple of weeks, so once it arrives I'll post some pictures and what not.

I got a reasonable figure for my Accord on trade, and the dealer sold me the Versa at $400 below MSRP, so I did alright.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim2CPU
Well, I ended up buying a Versa with CVT. I should have it within a couple of weeks, so once it arrives I'll post some pictures and what not.

I got a reasonable figure for my Accord on trade, and the dealer sold me the Versa at $400 below MSRP, so I did alright.
Good...

I saw it and sit on it. It really looks better than in the net and pictures. The only big disvantage I see is in the aftermarket. I don't think there is going to be a lot of parts, so if you found, they shall be expensive. Otherwise It should be a great daily car.

For all the people that think "HONDA OR BURST!!" Try to live in peace with the world....:D :D and don't be such a "other brand" haters.:cool: :cool: :D

Old 08-05-2006, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
I saw one at the gas station. It's a very nice car in person. It was white also. I wonder if there's a wait for these too.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
I saw one at the gas station. It's a very nice car in person. It was white also. I wonder if there's a wait for these too.
doesnt seem to be a shortage of versas. also lots of vw rabbits available.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
The Versa seems fairly large. With the Sentra, Altima, and Maxima getting so fat recently it almost seems more like a Sentra replacement than anything else.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by watermelonman
The Versa seems fairly large. With the Sentra, Altima, and Maxima getting so fat recently it almost seems more like a Sentra replacement than anything else.
the versa isn't really any wider or taller than the fit. it's just a foot longer.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bani
the versa isn't really any wider or taller than the fit. it's just a foot longer.
Well they had to find somewhere to pack on that extra 291 pounds.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Wait for the 2007 Sentra- same trans. (CVT), close to Versa price, looks better, 4" higher than last years, pass thru rear seatsd, 2.0 engine, high MPG close to Versa & Fit, and it is coming this Sept. I drove a Versa CVT (I have 10K miles on my Auto Fit), and it rides smoother, has more room, but . . . It is NOT a Honda. If it was going to be my 2nd car after my Fit, I would pick it, but I am going to wait for Spring, 2007 and see what is new then.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I am still deciding on either the NIssan Versa or Honda Fit. I liked the Nissan and I am waiting for some dealers to get stock of the Fit so I can finally test drive one.

The Versa was very smooth and the drove nice. It wasn't set up for heel-and-toe great and the 6spd was a long throw of a shift. I'm kind of worried about the Versa because it is made in a Mexican plant, not Japan.

But I just have to wait until I can find a Fit to test drive in RHode Island, USA :)

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Nissan should've brought over the Cube instead. I'd get one just for the "WTF???!" factor.

:D

Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM
gianspi, if you border hop over to MA there are like 5 more Honda dealerships within an hour's ride of cranston. Got mine at Boch Honda in Norwood because they had the most Fits arriving each week so one was actually available. They had shipments of 15-20 rather than shipments of 3-5 like most other dealers. Make a few calls and you might just be able to find one!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info Rhyno. I actually called all dealers in RI but I'll try MA this weekend. Thanks!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
the wrap around window on the cube is weeeird but cool at the same time. Kinda like the Honda "That's"

Old 08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
We were looking into buying a Versa before we purchased our Fit but did not like the fact that the ABS package had to be removed if you wanted to add all of the "cool" features. (i.e. Bluetooth, Intelligent Key, etc.) We still liked the Versa because we decided we could do without the "cool" features so it all came down to it's residual value. The Fit won. The Versa's a nice car though. Can't wait to see your pics.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotAllBad
Nissan should've brought over the Cube instead. I'd get one just for the "WTF???!" factor.

:D
i like to be that WTF factor to...the FIT has still turn heads for me

Quick Reply: Nissan Versa Impressions