Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Nissan Versa Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 05:11 AM
What kind of things usually need to be worked out as far as manufacturing bugs?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Manfacturing Bugs

Originally Posted by campersand
What kind of things usually need to be worked out as far as manufacturing bugs?
There are all kinds of things. First, there are bugs associated with part suppliers. Even though sample parts had to meet the design and dimensional specs to be accepted for production, suppliers are still learning to make these parts in the early phase. So what happens is that some parts arrive out of spec and don't fit. On the production line, workers find that what is supposed to drop in doesn't, and they sometimes have to "trick" them into their respective positions. Soon, suppliers get notified and cure the problems (so you hope). And the parts finally fit. But woe to those customers whose cars came through the period of supplier problems. Some of those parts may have been jammed in there to make them fit.

Second, there are bugs associated with inexperience. Each automaker uses a different system, but by and large a human being eventually has to do the work somewhere. A scanner reads the code assigned to a particular vehicle and gives instructions to a human being as to which parts to pull to install. But that person may not pull the right one because he (and his line) is not used to this particular model. So a wrong part gets installed, and quality inspectors, who are just as new to seeing this model as the assembler, all miss this wrong part and usher the car out to the end of the line. These people, though, eventually get used to knowing what spec sheet calls for what type of part, what the part looks like when installed, and either stop pulling wrong parts, or inspectors catch them. I worked as a final trim inspector once. There were a number of inspectors stationed prior to my station, and the theory was that by the time a car got to me, only a few if any cosmetic defects were supposed to remain because other inspectors would catch them. Well, in the first few months of any new model's production, I was flooded with assembly defects of all kinds because all those inspectors had missed the problems (could not see what was wrong because of inexperience with the model). The "fix" area had no room left. That, of course, changed for the better in the coming months.

There are other kinds of manufacturing bugs, but these two are pretty good examples.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
albeit i'm not an average person when it comes to handling, i've participate in many an SCCA event in Evos, WRXs and my soon to be departed Mazda6. I test drove the Versa also before i decided on the Fit as I am not one to believe reviews.

I am tall, 6'7" to be exact. Versa? I do fit better, but i have been in smaller cars all my life and I dont think i fit particularly bad in the Fit. I fit well enough to buy it (thank god for the Zeta dead pedal, will be the first thing i put in my Fit). What swayed me away from the added comfort was the transmission and handling. The transmission in the Versa was a nightmare compared to what I am used to. The extra power does nothing but keep the heavier car from dipping below the 10s mark in 0-60. And the handling. I love a fun car that I can toss into corners. The fit was more "athletic" when it came to diving into corners and making sharp fast turns, the Versa was just... there. Felt fat and heavy when making turns, the Fit felt light and nimble, ready to do my bidding. These things ultimately made my decision.

Note- I am not your "average" driver when it comes to handling so I cant comment on it.. but I would assume most people on here are at least slight enthusiasts. I'm not putting down any car, as people buy what they want, hell even for $15k, you better buy what you want :) This is just my review of the two. The Versa did have a "Swank-ness" in the interior and the tech inside did get to my geek side for sure. But that only lasts for so long, i love spirited driving (not fast mind you, fun in the twisties!) more then i do tech in car :)

Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 PM
I test drove the versa and thought the interior was real comfortable and goodlooking,the cvt smooth,but the bump in the seat folded down, annoyed me,and the rear hatch is more rounded at the bottom.both these items make its cargo flexibilty less than the fits.even without the magic seat tricks.Otherwise I think the Versa is a real contender.A definite buy if the cargo thing is secondary.I also drove a yaris hatchback extensively its mechanically cool but the interior is more squeezed and is cheaply finished,and the soundproofing or lack thereof drove me batty and the suspension seemed econocar.all that said i liked its exterior and thought it also a good car.