Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

I'm BAAAACK!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm BAAAACK!!

Just bought a Kia Soul, such a better car than the Fit for a cheaper price, base 6 speed manual model has bluetooth, satellite radio, and a more powerful engine, and I got cruise control thrown in for free. Honda has become so arrogant, they don't offer anything in their econobox and the auto tranny shifts like crap to keep up with the lawn mower size engine, gas mileage never got much better on my mom's Fit than when I first posted. I simply can't believe all the praise lavished on this lackluster car, maybe the manual tranny makes the whole car better, but I'll ponder that as I listen to XM and make calls on my car's bluetooth system as I am driving down the highway.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
I think you may have us fitfreaks mixed up with people who gives a sh*t about your childish dribble.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Honda over Kia any day.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned
What would you expect from a hamster ????? They have good TV ads, though. Put a hamster on your sofa, and it will run right off the edge and fall on its head on the floor. Put it back, and it will do it again! His new car will spend half of each year in the dealership for warranty repair.

Last edited by Triskelion; 11-04-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I swore I would never get a car with bluetooth, satellite radio, and other amenities such as heated seats. I know that's where the market is going, but I think there so many distractions to what makes a car a true automobile. Enjoy your Soul. I would have bought an Optima or Forte instead.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
It always sad when someone losses there way and decide purchasing a Kia is a good idea.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Glad you are happy with your new purchase. I feel the same way about my Honda Fit. Did you get a free hamster with purchase?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
see how much money you get for it when you sell it ;)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 AM
"Egon, take a reading."

"Venkman, the care-o-meter shows 0.001 BFDs. That's the lowest reading I've ever seen."

Seriously, you didn't like one car, bought another car that you like better and you expect us to care at all? Start a blog or something.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Congrats on your new car, i wish you the best! The Fit is not for everybody so I'm glad you found something you like better.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Then there's this:

Originally Posted by CNN 02November2012
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia overstated the fuel economy of many of their models, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday.

In response, Hyundai and Kia said they will pay owners for additional fuel costs associated with mileage difference.

Meanwhile, the EPA will also post new lower fuel economy figures for many Hyundai and Kia models on its website, fueleconomy.gov, and new window stickers will be printed for cars still on dealer lots.

Mileage figures on most labels will be lowered by one or two miles per gallon, according to the EPA. The discrepancies involve about 900,000 Hyundai and Kia vehicles already on the road.

The largest drop will be for the Kia Soul. Its highway fuel economy estimate will be lowered by six miles per gallon, taking it down to 29 mpg.
link

Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Then there's this:

link
Yeah I had read up on that before I bought it, still worth it to get all of that in a base model that the Fit can't touch. And the base manual only dropped 5 points not 6. And, since mine still had the original wrong mulroney sticker, I get a free debit card from kia refreshable every year to offset the difference. So no problem there.
Also, I fully expected at least 80% of the responses on here to bring up the issue of reliability ("oh he's going to spend half his time with his car in the shop.") Its sad when people don't so their homework and realize that the kia of today is nowhere close to the kia of yesteryear, with strong reliability ratings across the board. This is what Honda gets for being arrogant enough to rest on their laurels and decide they don't have to compete with other manufacturers because "hey, if you don't want our overpriced underequipped car, no problem there will always be some other sucker in line waiting to buy, we don;t really have to work to earn your business anymore because we are Honda." Too bad Honda, I used to be a loyal follower, but you just don't get it.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:34 AM
you dont get it, get outa here with that hamster garbage.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I do like the argument that honda is dishonest in their mpg claims, so I'm going to buy a car from the company that's very explicitly proven to be dishonest in their mpg claims.

And I'm also shocked that this guy is the type to spend lots of time talking on his cell phone while driving. people like that ought to be shot.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Guess you didn't check ratings in Consumer Reports before buying? They didn't think much of it compared to the Fit. The most important considerations to me are the first four and the Soul wasn't even above average on any of them.

You get what you pay for. Hope you like it long term. At least if you crash it it seems to have good air bag ratings.

Name:  ScreenShot2012-11-04at82230AM-1.png
Views: 27
Size:  11.9 KB

Name:  ScreenShot2012-11-04at82150AM-1.png
Views: 62
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Your rant is pointless. Nobody here cares about your kia with what you think has all the bells and whistles. We all love our fits and are extremely happy with them. Like Dave said "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

Old 11-04-2012, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
I'll tell you what happened there. Some big exec said they need to hit 40mpg in a majority of models. Mechanical improvements accounted for some of this, but not all. Some slightly less senior manager in charge of actually doing that figured out if they introduce "a procedural change" to the test they come out with excellent EPA results.

This guy's engineers went "you know, I'm not sure this is the way the test is supposed to be run?" but he said, don't worry, senior management has approved this.

Then he went to the big exec and said, I'm introducing a procedural change to get us the rest of the way there. It's all kosher, legal has approved it.

Then he went to Legal and said, I want you to be aware of what we're doing and give any legal concerns. I know you're not that aware of the tech details, but that's OK - here's the high level of how it works. All my engineers and sr management say they are on board with this.

Then he went to Marketing and said, "We're going to hit 40mpg! No prob. Actually we've improved city MPG too." And they had. Until last week.

ANYWAY the reason I lay that out is because it's quite possible for one or a few guys to be in charge of something and have just enough lack of oversight to create a corporate lie. I think this scenario is more likely than the image of the CEO and his reports doing the calculation on sales gains vs potential lawsuit penalties. I think that because malfeasance is more likely out of "I'm under job stress and unrealistic goals and if I DO lie it won't matter." But of course, Korean industry heads are well known for acting, shall we say, a bit loose with the morals.

In any case it remains that Hyundai/Kia just flat-out lied. Cynically do you blame them? They have to compensate the owners, sure, but only to get them back down to the actual EPA. And in the meantime, hitting that magic number has fueled massive US sales growth, over the last five years.

I remember saying long ago to my dad that I would never, ever buy a Korean car. This was back in the mid 90s and they were still crap. But I explicitly remember this and had cause to revise my opinion years later, where I did - seriously - consider purchasing one. But every time I get excited, then I go drive one and I remember why I don't buy one ... they're good but they are not quite as good in the ways I care about.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- did you even look at this ad? immaculate condition, only $14k. wow!

kicks your kia's ass all over and have cash to spend on mod bits if you wish.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ianapolis.html

if you're not a loser improve your life and get a car you can afford next time instead of just pretending you prefer or can accept a Kia. i didnt buy the two FitSport's because i couldn't afford a car that costs more. i chose the FitSport for what it is, new, both paid cash. big difference.

i would never consider a kia soul. go trade it in.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not one to badmouth Kia or Hyundai as we did own a Kia Pregio minivan back in 1998, and I thought well of it. This was a long time before both carmakers found their collective mojo.

However...I'm also not one to believe that toys make a car. For me they're just more things that can break down. I would rather a carmaker get the basics right than rely on gimmicks.

Enjoy your Soul, but let us enjoy our Fits and Jazzes. You are in no position to dictate what we should like, just as we're in no position to order you to buy a Fit and like it.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Kia Resale Value :rotfl:

Quick Reply: I'm BAAAACK!!