Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Possible new buyer, if you could would you have bought something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm so satisfied with my Fit that we're buying a second one, which should arrive in late October/early November. After re-evaluating our options, I think the only thing that would have diverted me from a second Fit, would have been if Honda brought over the 5 door Civic from the UK.

Oh, and as far as helping you with your decision, you may want to check the message boards over on Edmunds for the 2006 Civic. It appears they're having a lot of first year production issues (cracked dashes, cracked visors, vibration issues, buzzing noises, etc.).

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 08-07-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Would buy it again w/o question. Its the perfect vehicle for us and I have zero regrets.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 PM
I adore my Fit! I may have considered a Versa, since you'd be paying a pretty similar price for a car with more features, but I didn't like the look of the car, even with all the creature comforts. I also may have purchased an xA or an Aveo (I drove a rental for about a week, and it was cool, though my fiance has an Aveo sedan and I didn't want to drive the same make, even if it's a different model :P), but I think the Fit's style and versatility wins over a lot of other subcompacts.

I actually don't like the Civic as much with its redesign as I did a few years ago. I test drove a new Civic, and while the extra features were cool, I didn't feel "right" in the car for some reason.

So, maybe if another car had struck my fancy and had what I wanted/needed, I would have purchased it, instead. But for now, I'm happy with my Fit and would probably buy it all over again, despite her flaws.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I think the Fit is a great car to buy. Element is pretty roomy though. Civic is pretty nice inside now these days....

Can't go wrong with any Honda really.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
I wanted to buy the element..... It only seats four people and it gets poor gas milage. Did I say I wanted an element oh yeah. Well I do not regret buying a fit at all except I do not have cruise control. I ve a bum ankle that aches at times... I have to say that if my price range or stratagy where different I would probly buy a suberue. If I commuted buy car I would seriosly concider a tdi volkswagon. volks wagons are cars to own under warrenty in my opinion so that car has a few low marks in my book. The fit, fit my list the best but perhaps I should have bought a automatic... the fit needs alot of shifting. It alomost seams it should be a 6 speed? I own an rx-7 and I shift that car if I want to.... its a 5 speed manual I guess that car kind of spoiled me

Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I'd buy it again in a heartbeat! The other cars my wife and I were considering were the Yaris (sedan) and the Scion xB. the Yaris and xB were both lower on our list because of their lower crash-test ratings and non-standard airbags. Heck, the Scion xB doesn't even have side-curtain airbags as an option, where as the Fit comes standard with six! The xB is waaaay more my style, but the Fit has a style I can enjoy as well.

The Yaris was too claustrophobic for my wife and I, and felt cheaper inside. That, and I'm a hatchback whore, so I was drawn to the versatility of the Fit. Given Honda's amazing reliability record (ranked the most reliable in the UK, btw), standard equipment, and a price similar to similarly-equiped segment cars, the Fit was impossible to beat for us.

Gas mileage isn't the be-all-end-all for most folks. In the long run it'll come down to just a few hundred dollars at MOST, every year. Our first tank in our Sport AT yielded 26mpg, the 2nd one was 30mpg. We're only barely into our 3rd, and I expect it to continue to get better.

:)

Old 08-08-2006, 02:25 AM
I'ved had my Fit for about 5 weeks now and sorry to say that i regret it.
Dissapointment for me is the seats are very uncomfortable( i'ved driven to from vancouver to bellingham, washington. a 40-45drive and my back is already hurting. I drove to Edmonton last month(12 hour drive) with my 94 Previa Van and no back pain.
Very dissapointed with gas milage...i only get 370kms on a full tank. previously 430kms with stock wheels and tires.

Now that i have started a second job....will be saving up for a Cadillac Escadle ext...

thanks all

Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
I don't know why I forgot to mention that as well. That's probably my biggest disappointment with the car and I have a base MT (I'm no racer either)! I don't think I've ever topped 31mpg, I would say I hover around 27-29.
do you drive in the city a lot? stop and go traffic is harmful. i liv ein SF, but on the edge. i occasionally visit the city with all the hills, and i get 34 with conservative driving. 30 w/ aggressive. but i think stop and go hurts us most

its interesting someone pointed out the CA thing. i noticed that californians get lower mileages.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by tershel
I'ved had my Fit for about 5 weeks now and sorry to say that i regret it.
Dissapointment for me is the seats are very uncomfortable( i'ved driven to from vancouver to bellingham, washington. a 40-45drive and my back is already hurting. I drove to Edmonton last month(12 hour drive) with my 94 Previa Van and no back pain.
Very dissapointed with gas milage...i only get 370kms on a full tank. previously 430kms with stock wheels and tires.

Now that i have started a second job....will be saving up for a Cadillac Escadle ext...

thanks all
how big are you? are u a big guy. the fit is roomy, but i think it has its limits. on another thread, some bigger ppl say its decent but not necessarily as roomy as it seemed on paper. the gas tank is small, but i never have to pay more than 32$ US per tank.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
how big are you? are u a big guy. the fit is roomy, but i think it has its limits. on another thread, some bigger ppl say its decent but not necessarily as roomy as it seemed on paper. the gas tank is small, but i never have to pay more than 32$ US per tank.
Actually, im not a big guy at all. It's not about the size of the vehicle....it's just my priorities have changed and i bought in on all the hype about the fit.
It is a good peppy little car...reminds me of my old suzuki swift gti.
I have always wanted an escalade...almost bought an avalanche last christmas...but, i always thought of it as the cheaper version on the EXT.

thankx

Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Still waiting for mine, but......

I haven't found anything I like better.

I just looked at a Versa for the first time yesterday. I didn't fit in it very well at all. The Versa seats are height adjustable, but the lowest setting is still too high for me. There's as much headroom as the Fit, but the top of the windshield is lower, so I still would have to scrunch my neck to see out properly. Also, the dealer said they haven't seen a single one with ABS, and according to the Nissan web site and dealer, you can't get ABS if you get many of the other options:confused: . Very odd. And with the seats folded down, theres nowhere near as much usable space in back. The only advantages I can see here are Bluetooth, slightly more comfortable seats, and slightly more legroom in the rear. I didn't drive it (lost interest because of the seating position), but all reviews indicate that it's not as fun as the Fit. If the seating position doesn't bother you, it might be something to consider.....

Yaris and Scion didn't cut it either. The only other hatchback I've found that I'd consider is the Mazda3, which is more upscale, seems to have a bit less usable room in back (but better than the Versa), and is a hoot to drive. The only things I didn't like about it were less than great MPG, no MP3 capabilities, and the clutch feel.

If the fit doesn't show up soon (on order since 5/20 for a sport MT), I may go the Mazda route, but I'm hanging in there for now......

Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah - I looked at mazda too - but they're in a different Price range - can't really compare...like apples and oranges.

Also the mpg isn't as good...plus it's a ford product ;)

Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
The Escalade seems like the exact opposite of the Fit. Extremely low MPG, expensive, large, and one of the most popular vehicles to steal (well, in the US anyway).

Seriously though, I hope you find something that makes you happy. Get a car you enjoy! :)

Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Actually, im not a big guy at all. It's not about the size of the vehicle....it's just my priorities have changed and i bought in on all the hype about the fit.
It is a good peppy little car...reminds me of my old suzuki swift gti.
I have always wanted an escalade...almost bought an avalanche last christmas...but, i always thought of it as the cheaper version on the EXT.

thankx
Clearly you didn't buy a Fit to save money? hehe. So when one is in the market for an Escalade, what compelled you to buy a Fit? Just curious?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I had pretty high expectations before buying, and I can honestly say that the Fit has exceeded them so far. It drives like a big go-kart, has a great sound system and I've averaged nearly 38 MPG* - what's not to love?

*My MPG numbers reflect more highway driving than I normally do so this number will eventually drop some, but every fill-up I've had has been at least 3 MPG over EPA. (I have a Sport A/T)

Last edited by Fudgie; 08-10-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
I've been bouncing back and forth between quite a few vehicles, the Civic, Element and Fit Sport, I'm starting to think that the Fit is simply the best choice for the money for my active lifestyle (camping, boating, mountain biking) The Civic isn't very versatile. And the Element's average gas mileage of about 21-23mpg that might be out of the question totally with $3.10 gas prices.

Also my buddy Daņiel that frequents these forums insists I buy one over the others.

I already know quite abit about it but is there anything that you guys/gals don't like about it so much that you wouldn't get it again if you could go back to before you bought it? I know it's missing a few things like variable intermittent wipers and the seat adjustments you'd find on say a Civic or other entry level cars.
Are you serious? No intermittent wipers? Combined with being forced to buy a sport just to get cruise control, the lack of availability, and complaints about the mileage, and seat comfort, this may be a deal killer for me. I live western Washington state.....yes, where it rains a lot. Often times it's just a sprinkle, or a mist (we call it an Oregon mist, because it missed Oregon and hit Washington) which is overkill for the constant wiper mode.

The more I read on this forum, the more I'm convinced I should just continue driving my 1990 Accord EX which gets 28 - 30 MPG, and wait for the next generation of the Fit, or something else.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
If I could purchase this car again, would I? Absolutely. In a heartbeat. I have a 50 mile round trip commute every day and this car is so much fun I actually look forward to driving to work in the morning!
If I could purchase something else? I would purchase a helicopter so that I could avoid rushhour traffic :p

Blaze Orange Metallic Sport AT :D

Old 08-11-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Fit For A Queen
Clearly you didn't buy a Fit to save money? hehe. So when one is in the market for an Escalade, what compelled you to buy a Fit? Just curious?
When i bought the fit i only had one job ( special Education teacher)...plus i have the summer off and my wife really convinced me to get the fit.

Now that i have started a second job and back to work in Sept. at the school. My priorities arent really about fuel economy anymore...actually, my wife really enjoys the fit...so, i guess i will be driving the family van more often...until the next few months.:o :o :o ..but its all good. my 2 boys enjoy the dvd player we have in the previa on long drives.:) :) :)

Old 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Cindylouwho
If I could purchase this car again, would I? Absolutely. In a heartbeat. I have a 50 mile round trip commute every day and this car is so much fun I actually look forward to driving to work in the morning!
If I could purchase something else? I would purchase a helicopter so that I could avoid rushhour traffic :p
LOL, you and me both :)

Old 08-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Are you serious? No intermittent wipers? Combined with being forced to buy a sport just to get cruise control, the lack of availability, and complaints about the mileage, and seat comfort, this may be a deal killer for me. I live western Washington state.....yes, where it rains a lot. Often times it's just a sprinkle, or a mist (we call it an Oregon mist, because it missed Oregon and hit Washington) which is overkill for the constant wiper mode.

The more I read on this forum, the more I'm convinced I should just continue driving my 1990 Accord EX which gets 28 - 30 MPG, and wait for the next generation of the Fit, or something else.
The Fit has intermittent wipers on the front windshield wipers. You just can't control the speed as much as you can on some newer cars. I think there's something like three speeds with which you can run the wipers. The back wiper doesn't have any sort of intermittent speed, but the speed it's on is just fine for me. Personally, I'm happy just to have a rear wiper :)

Quick Reply: Possible new buyer, if you could would you have bought something else?