Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Possible new buyer, if you could would you have bought something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Possible new buyer, if you could would you have bought something else?

I've been bouncing back and forth between quite a few vehicles, the Civic, Element and Fit Sport, I'm starting to think that the Fit is simply the best choice for the money for my active lifestyle (camping, boating, mountain biking) The Civic isn't very versatile. And the Element's average gas mileage of about 21-23mpg that might be out of the question totally with $3.10 gas prices.

Also my buddy Daņiel that frequents these forums insists I buy one over the others.

I already know quite abit about it but is there anything that you guys/gals don't like about it so much that you wouldn't get it again if you could go back to before you bought it? I know it's missing a few things like variable intermittent wipers and the seat adjustments you'd find on say a Civic or other entry level cars.

Last edited by RevToTheRedline; 08-07-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I have had mine since April and am very happy with my purchase the car does everything I need and its fun doing it. I would purchase again in a second.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah I love my fit, I love the looks and styling.. get really get the most bang for your bucks..

Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
If I could have gotten my Civic EX 4dr manual, I wouldn't have bought my Fit. But I am happy none the less with my Fit. I love the thing :D

Old 08-07-2006, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to go against the flow and say, if I had to do it again, I would seriously consider a Versa.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
All three cars you've mentioned are great cars. I think it really has to come down to your needs. Do you really need to be able to put the back seats down (Fit/Element vs. Civic) and if so for how big of needs (Fit vs. Element)?

I love my Fit, but I probably won't buy 2 or 3 in my lifetime unless there are some changes made so it's not so cheap in some regards. I've had 3 Civics, but they were all different varieties: wagon, hatchback, coupe. My sis has an 06 Civic and it's pretty awesome but a very different car than the Fit and also probably not the kind of Civic I would buy.

Anyway, my point is basically it depends on your needs. The Fit suits me fine right now, but it's not exactly the sexiest car out there and there are some minor issues that I'm sure will be worked out (seat adjustment, driver foot space, abitlity to customize, etc.) Not 100% positive I would've bought it again, but probably 80% sure.

Last edited by hatchgeek; 08-07-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you have an active lifestyle like I do, I would pick the Fit every time. It is very versatile for its cost. You can commute, go camping or hit the slopes all in the same car and at a smaller price than a Civic or Element. I'd say for the versatility the Fit can't be beat. Especially by the Versa.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nyancey
If you have an active lifestyle like I do, I would pick the Fit every time. It is very versatile for its cost. You can commute, go camping or hit the slopes all in the same car and at a smaller price than a Civic or Element. I'd say for the versatility the Fit can't be beat. Especially by the Versa.
Smaller price for you perhaps.
Higher price for me :( (think $2500 CAD)

Old 08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Happy Owner - would buy again if I had to buy something

Unless my son started driving my 1998 civic manual- I'd still be driving the civic.

I enjoy the Sport Automatic but would be just as happy with a base manual. My wife prefers the AT and the Sport was fine in price/features. This is my first brand-new car because I don't usually find anything worth the "new" price.

Last edited by sam; 08-07-2006 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added title
Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I love the car since I bought it, I loved it since it was that cool spoon racer. When I heard it was coming to the states, I jumped at the chance to own one.
To be honest though, I would love to have the 4dr Honda Civic SI when it comes, those are bizitchin

Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM
As much as I love my Fit, because of the poor gas mileage I've been getting (average 30mpg city OR highway), I'll probably buy a Civic or a Toyota Corolla. But I still think the Fit is a great car: cool looks, great drivability and the best storage capability of any vehicle out there! Just wish the mileage would get better...

Old 08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluemeanie
As much as I love my Fit, because of the poor gas mileage I've been getting (average 30mpg city OR highway), I'll probably buy a Civic or a Toyota Corolla...
I don't know why I forgot to mention that as well. That's probably my biggest disappointment with the car and I have a base MT (I'm no racer either)! I don't think I've ever topped 31mpg, I would say I hover around 27-29.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
You would think a modern 1.5L engine in a pretty light car would get more fuel economy then a 1.8L engine in a new Civic.

fueleconomy.gov states a user average of 32.7mpg for the 5MT 06 Civic and a 34.3mpg for the Fit 5MT both had over 7 user submissions.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Just checked it, interesting how the CA driver only averages 26mpg! Maybe there's something wrong with our roads.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hatchgeek
Just checked it, interesting how the CA driver only averages 26mpg! Maybe there's something wrong with our roads.

Doesn't CA have extra smog stuff on the exhasut that could lead to possible lower mpg? I know they have extra stuff on motorcycles in CA only.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has always been about being emmissions...they love clean. Toyota is about mileage. It is nice to see Civic owners getting almost 40 mpg. I have been getting about 31 to 32 mpg in mixed driving...but I have a lead foot.

As for the Element, I own one of them too, but have relegated it to delivery van duty for my business. The Element is a great vehicle...I can't say enough good things about it. However, now that I average about 50,000 miles a year for my business, I can't take the 21 mpg average I was getting with the Element.

I am not all that worried about the mileage the Fit is getting. I have never had a Honda get what the windows sticker says. I don't normally complain because I drive fairly hard, though tanks of gas where I take it easy typically only last 4 miles longer than my lead foot tanks. :)

Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
Doesn't CA have extra smog stuff on the exhasut that could lead to possible lower mpg? I know they have extra stuff on motorcycles in CA only.
I think all Fits are 50 state vehicles, though I may be wrong.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
If I had money I would buy a civic si, but I choose the Fit in any second over a civic(non si)

Anyway If I could, I would buy Porsche cayman s, but I can't.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
If I would have waited until the Rabbit and the Versa came out, it's hard to say if I would have gone with the Fit or not. But I am happy with my purchase, I love love love the Fit. It's good that you're purchasing NOW though, there are more options! All the compact and sub-compact are so much alike yet SOOOOO different. The Fit, I think, is the best bang for the buck. The Versa IS very versatile, comfortable, and spacious (and my husband just purchased one! so now the Fit will have a big brother in the driveway) and the VW Rabbit is pretty much sexy with GREAT options that come standard.

Go test drive them all, see what suits YOU best. We're all different. Good luck! :)

Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
i would have picked my silver fit sport mt again and again.

however, my major complaint is the seat comfort, which honda has a problem with in all of its vehicles (excluding leather seats) in my opinion. if you do a lot of traveling for long distances, it is an issue.

others seem to be having problems with their gas mileage, but mine just hit its biggest tank yet- 35mpg with about 70%highway, 30%city in hot mississippi weather (a/c always on) and i'm at 4500 miles. i am VERY pleased with this. usually i get about 31mpg, which is still not bad i think.

in my opinion, you'd be unhappy with a civic since you need to haul a lot of stuff. the element is wonderful and spacious, but the fit is the way to go regarding price, versatility and gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Possible new buyer, if you could would you have bought something else?