Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Scion's Center Guages EXPLAINED

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
You two seem to misunderstand what that means. Here's some help -
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beat+a+dead+horse

As long as I am responding to your new messages, which you apparently believe contain new content, I'm not beating a dead horse.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member

:rolleyes:
http://www.goenglish.com/BeatADeadHorse.asp

"beating a dead horse"
You are beating a dead horse when you insist on talking about something that cannot be changed. Example: "I'd like to talk with you again about what happened." Reply: "Oh, come on. Let's not beat a dead horse."

Beating a dead horse is an action that has no purpose, because no matter how hard or how long you beat a dead horse, it is not going to get up and run. Example: "Let's not talk about it any more. Okay?" Reply: "You're right. We're just beating a dead horse."

To repeatedly bring up a particular topic with no chance of affecting the outcome is beating a dead horse. Example: "Dad, are you sure we can't get a new computer for the upstairs?" Reply: "Son, we talked about this and the decision was 'no'. You are beating a dead horse."

Last edited by Chikubi; 08-15-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:04 AM
I say who gives a damn, it's an ugly car in my opinion and not nearly as fun to drive as my FIT. This is the FIT forum!!

Old 08-20-2006, 01:38 AM
EVERYBODY!! if you have never owned or driven the Scion xB for more than at least 5 hours, shut up, stop posting because you don't have anything to say.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, i came in late to this argument, but I just have to reaffirm my existance by making a post on the fitfreak forums.

Anyway, I build and race racecars. Really FAST race cars. And really, theres only two guages I care about: Temp and oil pressure. Temp because our radiators dont get the air they need since the front wings throw all the air over them, and oil pressure because our racecars use motorcycle engines, and if you pull 2.0 lateral g's (constant g's mind you) a bike engine is not happy. But even as crucial as these guages are, if you have time to look at them, you aren't going fast enough.

In a street car, I think there are only TWO really crucial guages. The first one is the speedometer and the second one is the fuel guage. I could see center mounted guages as an advantage. For example, in certain radius turns, my steering wheel (in my street car) blocks the guages. In a center mounted configuration you would not have that problem.

And I agree, the radio should be almost as easy to reach as the turn signals.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

Now who can point out the cost benefits of the Saturn?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi

:rolleyes:
http://www.goenglish.com/BeatADeadHorse.asp

"beating a dead horse"
You are beating a dead horse when you insist on talking about something that cannot be changed. Example: "I'd like to talk with you again about what happened." Reply: "Oh, come on. Let's not beat a dead horse."

Beating a dead horse is an action that has no purpose, because no matter how hard or how long you beat a dead horse, it is not going to get up and run. Example: "Let's not talk about it any more. Okay?" Reply: "You're right. We're just beating a dead horse."

To repeatedly bring up a particular topic with no chance of affecting the outcome is beating a dead horse. Example: "Dad, are you sure we can't get a new computer for the upstairs?" Reply: "Son, we talked about this and the decision was 'no'. You are beating a dead horse."
You're posting new messages, which means that you either want a response or just like hearing (seeing) yourself talk.

You can't get on my case for responding to you. Well, you've already proven that you can, just not while making any sense at all. Perhaps that is not something you are concerned with.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I drove a new Echo with center mount guages for 1 year and sold it specificly because CENTER MOUNTED SPEEDO'S SUCK! :p

Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
You usually drive where you look. I think down is better than right. lol

Old 09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Someone that Posts too much
either you like it or not, whatever the reason, you don't have to justify to anyone but yourself.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by watermelonman
Most every Toyota manual transmission is crappy. It's just not something that they do well.

Just get the automatic, it's not like any of their cars are actually fun to drive anyway.
you should check out this car they used to make called the Supra. i heard those were pretty fun to drive. :rolleyes:

Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToddSpoth
you should check out this car they used to make called the Supra. i heard those were pretty fun to drive. :rolleyes:
Great, let me know as soon as they're selling them again.

The last one hit the streets 13 years ago. Not exactly relevant in current affairs.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's an awesome idea for anyone that drives with their hand at the 12:00 position on the wheel. All I ever see is a hairy arm or the steering wheel in the way of my gauges. :))

Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
I say it is to cut manufacturing costs on both left and right models.
I agree, and it looks stupid too. :p

If you actually buy-in that it is like that for "safety reasons" :rolleyes:... just think how many times you have almost been in an accident because you checked to see how fast you were going... if your answer is anything except NEVER you probably shouldn't be driving anyway. Come to think of it, It would actually be insulting to me if somebody told me it was for safety at the dealership.

Here is a you tube link that explains my feelings perfectly towards all this kind of nonesense of how cars can save you from yourself.
YouTube - Audi :: A4 Parking

Sorry guys, I know I have an overly strong opinion :D Naturally this is ment as no offence to anybody! Many appologies in advance!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 11-13-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by gianspi
I have been deciding on a fit for a few weeks now. After reading MANY posts in this section about how the Toyota Scion's center guages are dangerous, inconvienant, poorly designed, and ugly, I set out to find out why. So I called a Scion dealer and spoke with the manager. I am opening a new thread because there are so many threads that discuss this, I could not possibly find them all and post to them.

Here's the scoop:

The center guages are NOT for styling. It is a common design in Europe because you have better peripheral vision of the road ahead if you are looking slightly to the right versus downward.

Got it? Good! Now stop complaining & enjoy your car. ;)

My moms old car(Toyota Echo), i thought it was on the lame side..Thanks for the explanation on WHY Toyota does this!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
its not really different??? saturn has had alot of there cars like this, and I have to agree this has to be the dumbest complaint and thee dumbest thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
haha first, i am amazed how this thread was dug up form over a year ago. it is truly spectacular. do threads ever get deleted from being too old? or like. 10 years from now will they all still be here somewhere?

Second, i don't know what's true and what's not about the center gauges, but i will tell you guys my opinion about it, not that anybody cares anyway. i've driven a scion xB many times, only for a total of 4-5 hours though. but i don't really like the center gauges. maybe it just takes getting used to, but i haven't gotten used to it yet. i was actually on the fence between a scion xB and a honda fit when i was shopping for cars. and there were a few reasons i chose the fit over the box. one of them being the placement of the gauges.

P.S. only the driver should get to know what speed he/she is going and the rpm of the motor and blah blah blah =)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Second, i don't know what's true and what's not about the center gauges, but i will tell you guys my opinion about it, not that anybody cares anyway.
I care Dr. Doom! :D haha, this stuff is all pretty much perspective anyway. I do enjoy slamming Toyota's though! I still can't believe they don't have a sports car in the lineup anymore (Scions don't count because we don't have them up here anyway).

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I care Dr. Doom! :D
lol thank you, now i have the strength and will to live another day. haha

Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
is this thread really THAT stupid?

i find it rather interesting!

my thoughts on center mounted gauges; yeah, you'll get used to em, the same way civic drivers got used to theirs. (although i will say honda's approach to a different gauge set up for ease of use seemed more valid on the civic.)

personally, toyotas reasons are bull crap. its suppossed to be a european trend? tell me, any succesful sport compacts (focus st, vw golf gti, euro civic type r) in europe sport gauges that look like that?

no, i didn't think so. i dunno about being cheaper, but they include them to be hip and different and thats the audience that scion is targetting.

i will agree with mr.watermelon on toyotas lack of anything exciting lately. the new matrix does look cool though.

as far as beating the dead horse goes, even posting the fact that you think the converstation has gone that route is another swing on the carcass as far as i'm concerned.;)

Quick Reply: Scion's Center Guages EXPLAINED