Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Scion's Center Guages EXPLAINED

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
It makes no sense now because the XD and Tc both have gauges in front of the driver. I was considering the new Xb until I saw that they left the ugly center mount gauge. It looks like something for a taxi cab.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
hihi! It is just so funny to read this thread with high temperature in the discussion over a centered dashboard gauges.

I daily drive a Toyota Yaris Verso and it has the gauges in the center. It was a bit strange in the beginning, but after a month I got used to it. Now I own a Jazz with "normal" positioned gauges (behind driver wheel).

I see a few reasons for put the gauges in the center.
It is NOT because it is cheaper, because on the Yaris it is slightly tilted towards the drivers position. The passenger can't even see it.
And I dont think it is pro or con safety reasons because you dont look that much on the gauges anyway.

But one of the main reason I think is just that the designer wanted to make something diffrent that people could remember and by this thread you all will now remember that the Xion and other Toyota models like the Yaris have this centered gauges. :D

Last edited by F0NIX; 11-15-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Better interchangeability from side to side makes a car cheaper overall to manufacture and sell in differing markets. The first mini was designed to be easier to swap from side to side, the early vw beetles had mounts for a steering column on both sides (and notice the glovebox is a mirror shape to the speedo panel), etc.

Not surprising that the largest auto manufacturer in the world would warm to a design that can easily be swapped from side to side, seems like it would save a few pennies, no??

Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
The center mount gauges could be for the vertically challenged? Put them in the middle and the dash can be flatter in front of the driver.

I only noticed this because my wife is 5' 3" or so and she found the Fit's gauge cluster obtrusive until she got used to it. She had a Ford Focus before the Fit and the gauge cluster was lower and the seat height was adjustable. Also the Focus hood didn't slope as much so she could actually see where it ended.

One of my short coworkers mentioned a similar problem. She had a Toyota Echo that also had center gauges. She got an Acura TSX. She has problems driving it in the parking garage because of visibility. It does have height adjustable seats, but if she raises it where she wants, she can't reach the pedals!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:37 PM
i think it was just part of the design...ive got an 04 xb and the only time it threw me off was like the first day or two i drove it....i dont even think about it now, but i do think its cool having the instrument cluster sittin up on the dash like a big tach.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM
I also have an xB. It took about 1 minute into the test drive to get used to the gauges in the middle. Drive it and there really isn't anything to complain about.

If you want the big tach, check some Scion forums. Some have wired their xB's so that the tach and speedo are swapped and printed a new face.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I've seen the center IPs in the Scions, but I've owned 2 Saturn IONs with the center IP. The biggest difference between the ION and the xA/xB/Yaris is that the ION had it's IP looking towards the driver. I've noticed Toyota's center IPs looking straight back, and their's also looks kinda small.

I got used to Saturn's quickly, and despite popular claim, it IS in the line of sight of both rear view mirrors and you don't have to take a long look away from the road. Actually, I think you can still see some of the road as opposed to looking down.

I've readjusted to my Fit's IP just fine. :)

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
It was just for design. Autoweek had a report of another automotive journalist pressing the issue with the designer at Toyota who oversees this, and he yelled back "Because it's my favorite! O.K.?!?!!?"

Hey, the Model T had center mounted guages. If it was so great, guage clusters would've never changed position to in front of the driver in the first place.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Um, a Model T vs. a current car with a center IP. Is this a legit comparison? :confused:

Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by gianspi
I have been deciding on a fit for a few weeks now. After reading MANY posts in this section about how the Toyota Scion's center guages are dangerous, inconvienant, poorly designed, and ugly, I set out to find out why. So I called a Scion dealer and spoke with the manager. I am opening a new thread because there are so many threads that discuss this, I could not possibly find them all and post to them.

Here's the scoop:

The center guages are NOT for styling. It is a common design in Europe because you have better peripheral vision of the road ahead if you are looking slightly to the right versus downward.

Got it? Good! Now stop complaining & enjoy your car. ;)

Okay, I know this is immature, but is it just me or is that shifter VERY Huge-Dildo-Esque? :D

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
Um, a Model T vs. a current car with a center IP. Is this a legit comparison? :confused:
Oh, I wasn't comparing the two. Just pointing out the fact that automakers moved away from center guages a long time ago, and for good reason. That's all. :)

I'll just add this to the discussion, if they were truly an improvement, then all Lexus models would have them too. Right? :D

Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by way2slo
Okay, I know this is immature, but is it just me or is that shifter VERY Huge-Dildo-Esque? :D

You should see the Tata Nano's stick. Check it on Autoblog.com

Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by way2slo

:wavey: Not sure I like the telephone pole shifter nor the neck strain I would have from looking at the tach/speed.....looks cheap...IMAO.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
hrmm make sense however I love the classic look.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by HotIron
You should see the Tata Nano's stick. Check it on Autoblog.com
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?
Wow its curved and everything. I mean i know it's the worlds cheapest car, but did they even pay attention to wha they were doing?

:rotfl: