Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota Yaris Hybrid-R concept fully revealed

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Toyota Yaris Hybrid-R concept fully revealed

Debuts at IAA

Toyota has disclosed full details for its IAA-bound Yaris Hybrid-R concept scheduled to get its public outing next week.
Based on the three-door Yaris, the Hybrid-R concept comes with a four-cylinder 1.6-liter turbocharged engine delivering 300 bhp (224 kW) and 420 Nm (310 lb-ft) to the front wheels, while each rear wheel is driven by a 60 bhp (45 kW) electric motor. The two electric motors have a combined maximum output of 120 bhp (89 Nm) available for up to five seconds when Track mode is activated. During this five-second interval, the concept has a maximum output of 420 bhp (313 kW).
There's also a third 60 bhp electric motor installed between the conventional power unit and the six-speed sequential gearbox. It works during deceleration to feed the super capacitor and also during acceleration to power the two rear electric motors, but only when the power and torque of the engine exceed the grip potential of the front wheels. In other words, the generator will act as a traction control system redirecting torque as electric energy to the rear axle.
The Toyota Yaris Hybrid-R has been fitted with 18-inch TRD alloys wrapped around in Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires measuring 225/40 R18 with stopping power coming from grooved and perforated discs that have six-piston calipers at the front and four-piston calipers for the rear.
The cabin comes with GT 86-sourced sport pedals, dual-tone Recaro bucket seats with black leather side bolsters and blue Alcantara. The shift lever has been positioned close to the driver's right hand, while the sport steering wheel is covered in Alcantara.
Aside from the aforementioned Track mode, by pressing a button installed on the steering wheel the driver can select Road mode which will reduce the output of the gasoline engine and manage the quantity of energy distributed as a method to reduce fuel consumption and cut down CO2 emissions.
More info is available in the press release area.

Source: Toyota

Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
oh my!

Wow looks like people are finally paying attention to hot hatches.....kinda like how everyone is trying to live in Brooklyn these days....

Glad to see Toyota took it seriously though. Ford already has and here's hoping Honda sees the light soon....

stop making f'n robots and get back to the car game boys!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Earlier this month the Toyota Vitz/ Yaris turbo wonder if Toyota has some Turbo vehicles in its future?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Good lord that is insane.

Toyota has never been shy of using turbo motors, it's about time they start doing it again. If I could get a brand new RWD turbo sedan made by Toyota (a'la Chaser) without a Lexus markup I might actually trade my car in tomorrow.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
I want 1. though now because this is announced it feels like i jocked the colors from them.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Huh, kinda like a toyota version Abarth. :)