Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Winter is coming so now is the time to be practical

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
I would lower it but not that low he is on bags. Also wide tires do not make the best snow tires.
oh i c. yah, definitely narrower tires for snow. :)

Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Not as much as when I first got it and was doing mods, it was to be my fun car. Then when I got my Fit I discover it was just as fun to drive actually feels quicker off the line. The Miata is not really that fast and on really long drives up to 800 miles it can beat on you. I find myself trying to find places to drive it basically burning gas and taking unnecessary trips. On the other hand I find excuses to drive the Fit.
I felt the exact same way when I "finished" my Corolla. I felt the actual building part was awesome, driving it was awesome, but it was slow, uncomfortable, not completely practical anymore (more practical than a Miata, but I wouldn't drive it every day).

I sold it for a good reason, but I miss it on many days. The Fit is a decent replacement that is much more practical and can fill both roles, but misses "the feeling". Nostalgia, connection, the extension of myself I suppose and uncompromised for anything and not built for anyone by myself.

I hope to find that again some day in Another Project, but my fear is I will be chasing the dragon. I hope with a new project you will catch it.

/inspirational music

lol

Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
you folks live in sunny CA so probably dont have this issue, but i hibernate my rwd cars every winter as i dont like corrosion and gunk getting stuck on the car. yes, the cars can take salt, yes, ive already tried driving them with LM60's and did fine, but no i dont like surface rust on my cars, nor do i like cleaning salt off my cars especially when i know i dont have to.

honestly was a pita thinking when my last drive might be or the last fill would be for fuel to minimize fuel going bad during the hibernation, etc.

so the last few yrs i started using Stabil and just hibernate the cars pre-snow when I decide to put away my cars, not when the weather or the village (salt trucks) decides for me. much less stress!!

with my '12 MT GE being my all year round car, i dont mind the winter so much.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Great info on the winter driving. I think I will plan to try the tires that came with it, since it is not always snowy here and be quick to buy better ones if it slips around too much. I will get new ones next year. It is just the cost of trading tires out is not cost effective - so I would prefer to wear these ones out for a year and just switch to an all season.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I felt the exact same way when I "finished" my Corolla. I felt the actual building part was awesome, driving it was awesome, but it was slow, uncomfortable, not completely practical anymore (more practical than a Miata, but I wouldn't drive it every day).

I sold it for a good reason, but I miss it on many days. The Fit is a decent replacement that is much more practical and can fill both roles, but misses "the feeling". Nostalgia, connection, the extension of myself I suppose and uncompromised for anything and not built for anyone by myself.

I hope to find that again some day in Another Project, but my fear is I will be chasing the dragon. I hope with a new project you will catch it.

/inspirational music

lol

What year Corolla?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
A couple of snow storms this past week almost sent me to getting one of these.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:10 PM
my fit in winter mode

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36894424@N06/11453634923/

Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
yah, my GE does very well in the winter. :D

and throughout the year for that matter. my RWD cars thanks me for having it.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I think my problem is my choice of tires 205/50/16 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for winter probably too wide and also a performance all season not just an all season not really good in deep snow..

Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
I had an 07 Outback and it was great in snow and ice - even with all-season GY TripleTread tires that the previous owner had installed. However, beware of older (pre '05?) H4 engines as there were reports of head gasket leaks. Check the Subaru forums if this problem has started to appear in later H4 engines. Also, the pre-2010 Outbacks were quite cramped for passengers - narrow front seats and very little rear legroom. The NA H4 with an automatic tranny was very slow. My Prius is roomier and faster.

My current winter driver is a Ridgeline - capable and plenty of passenger and cargo room. And yes, we have lots of unpaved roads nearby.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Looked at a few 2014 Foresters but the 2015 are coming out in April 2014. In addition the Legacy is being redesigned for 2015would be interesting if they bring this to the USA:

Turbocharged engines

Subaru has announced plans to launch the production version of the Levorg concept in May.
Set to be unveiled on New Year's Day, the production model will closely echo the concept that was introduced at the Tokyo Motor Show last month.
Subaru is keeping details a closely guarded secret but they confirmed the model will be available with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 170 HP (125 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque. The model will also be available with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 300 HP (221 kW) and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque. Regardless of which engine is selected, both will be will connected a continuously variable transmission and an all-wheel drive system.
In Japan, the entry-level 1.6 GT model will cost ¥2,667,600 while the range-topping 2.0 GT-S EyeSight will retail for ¥3,564,000 (both prices including an 8% consumption tax).

Source: Subaru

Last edited by cjecpa; 12-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.