Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

My 1981 Honda Civic

  #81  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Lagunatic's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by devmail View Post
Wow, amazing shape!
What do you think the car is worth ?
 
  #82  
Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 PM
myfoxmystere's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 80
It's definitely worth more than what you paid for it brand new in '81. By chance, did you buy it from Hardin Oldsmobile/Honda in Anaheim? I've seen plenty of Honda Accords, Civics and Preludes from them back in the day. My brother has our late dad's 1980 Civic Wagon 5 speed. That wagon has taken a beating; it needs a carburetor repair now, and some minor body work to get back on the road. The wagon has new NGK plugs and wires I ordered from AutoParts Warehouse. A local mechanic in Cypress installed NGK wires on my Toyota truck, and told me these wires are usually longer lasting than the Borg Warner or Bosch wires sold in auto parts stores. The NGK blue wires seem to fire better than the Bosch wires my brother had on the wagon. The car passed the smog test with flying colors shortly before it started flooding. I've seen your car around OC several times.
 

Last edited by myfoxmystere; 03-15-2014 at 02:02 PM.
  #83  
Old 03-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Lagunatic's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by myfoxmystere View Post
It's definitely worth more than what you paid for it brand new in '81. By chance, did you buy it from Hardin Oldsmobile/Honda in Anaheim? I've seen plenty of Honda Accords, Civics and Preludes from them back in the day. My brother has our late dad's 1980 Civic Wagon 5 speed. That wagon has taken a beating; it needs a carburetor repair now, and some minor body work to get back on the road. The wagon has new NGK plugs and wires I ordered from AutoParts Warehouse. A local mechanic in Cypress installed NGK wires on my Toyota truck, and told me these wires are usually longer lasting than the Borg Warner or Bosch wires sold in auto parts stores. The NGK blue wires seem to fire better than the Bosch wires my brother had on the wagon. The car passed the smog test with flying colors shortly before it started flooding. I've seen your car around OC several times.


I paid around $5,500.00 with the optional air conditioning. I bought it from Long Beach Honda in September 1980 when we moved out here to California.
 

Last edited by Lagunatic; 02-23-2019 at 05:51 PM.
  #84  
Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 PM
myfoxmystere's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 80
Originally Posted by Lagunatic View Post
I paid around $6,500.00 with the optional air conditioning. I bought it from Long Beach Honda in September 1980 when we moved out here to California.
That was another big dealer back in the day; the wagon also has the optional AC which was the only option my dad ordered with the car. My dad bought the car in August 1980. I bought a stereo from Radio Shack the following April 1981 and installed it myself. If my brother decides to fully restore the car, I have a new digital tuner cassette radio that I bought from a clearance sale at Kragen Auto Parts ready to install: a Jensen with front & rear speaker controls and an RCA amp hookup. I'd like to see the wagon back on the road, fully redone with fresh green paint and perhaps whitewall tires like it came with. I retrofitted it with a third brake lamp when it got rear ended back in 1986. I also remember Mr. Rowland, the salesman my dad spoke with, telling me it was smarter to buy the radio from an aftermarket place rather than the stock ones to save money and get one that you really like. I also installed fog lamps in 2009 under the parking lamps; it made a huge difference in nighttime driving. I had given the lamps to my brother one Christmas for his 1995 Civic, but then we decided not to install them on his 95 sedan. I got him a factory styled set about a year or two later, which we did install on the car. These lights sat around a few years in limbo until I got the Fit and saw the difference between it and the wagon's sealed beam halogens. The only thing I didn't use in the kit was the switch. I bought a lighted toggle switch to use in the dummy plug hole under the driver side.
 

Last edited by myfoxmystere; 03-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.
  #85  
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM
gd3david's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 123
Wow, this is beautiful! Amazing shape, very jealous
 
  #86  
Old 01-31-2015, 02:48 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wichita
Posts: 22
keep up the good work :) Those are almost hard to come by!
 
  #87  
Old 02-26-2015, 02:46 PM
New Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sicklerville, NJ
Posts: 4
Wow, what a beautiful car. There's nothing like that here on the east coast. All of them rusted back into the Earth. On another note, I also always loved that California License Plate design for some reason.
 
  #88  
Old 02-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Lagunatic's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by Stapleface View Post
Wow, what a beautiful car. There's nothing like that here on the east coast. All of them rusted back into the Earth. On another note, I also always loved that California License Plate design for some reason.


Hondas will last forever as long as you don't go messing around in snow country
 
  #89  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Perrenoud Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chesapeake, VA. -USA
Posts: 4,268
Amen

Originally Posted by Lagunatic View Post
Hondas will last forever as long as you don't go messing around in snow country
The Big 3 of the 60's & 70's don't even compare to the ease of dis assembly as the Honda does. I have always liked to make things better than they are, and have taken many a car apart. The USA fasteners corrode and rust together like the where actually designed to do so. But the Honda's of the 80's & 90's the fasteners for the most part come apart without incident.
Lagunatic here's a great way to make the engine compartment look like the rest of DX. Purchase a 16oz spray cans of WD-40 with the red nozzle attached and cut up an old terry cloth towel into 12"x12" and 18"x12" then spray one of the lager ones w/ WD and wipe down the under side of your hood. After you see the before and after results I'll bet you'll have her looking so good in there it'll be time for another photo shoot for us!
The WD will not harm the stickers or paint. Use a small brass brush to will take years of oxidation off the aluminum parts too.

before

after

JK.
But this is what I like to do!
The first pic is one I just picked up, 91 Si.
The second is 1990 std., "Lil Red" that me and my youngest are finishing up for the car shows this year.
Mike :D
 

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 02-28-2015 at 05:48 PM.
  #90  
Old 02-23-2019, 05:54 PM
Lagunatic's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by myfoxmystere View Post
That was another big dealer back in the day; the wagon also has the optional AC which was the only option my dad ordered with the car. My dad bought the car in August 1980. I bought a stereo from Radio Shack the following April 1981 and installed it myself. If my brother decides to fully restore the car, I have a new digital tuner cassette radio that I bought from a clearance sale at Kragen Auto Parts ready to install: a Jensen with front & rear speaker controls and an RCA amp hookup. I'd like to see the wagon back on the road, fully redone with fresh green paint and perhaps whitewall tires like it came with. I retrofitted it with a third brake lamp when it got rear ended back in 1986. I also remember Mr. Rowland, the salesman my dad spoke with, telling me it was smarter to buy the radio from an aftermarket place rather than the stock ones to save money and get one that you really like. I also installed fog lamps in 2009 under the parking lamps; it made a huge difference in nighttime driving. I had given the lamps to my brother one Christmas for his 1995 Civic, but then we decided not to install them on his 95 sedan. I got him a factory styled set about a year or two later, which we did install on the car. These lights sat around a few years in limbo until I got the Fit and saw the difference between it and the wagon's sealed beam halogens. The only thing I didn't use in the kit was the switch. I bought a lighted toggle switch to use in the dummy plug hole under the driver side.
Correction. I paid around $5,500 with the air.
 
  #91  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:54 AM
Lagunatic's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 101
I just found the receipt from October, 1980. I paid $6,510.99 out the door price.
 
  #92  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:00 AM
GodFather's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SF Bay Area, CA USA
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Lagunatic View Post
I paid around $5,500.00 with the optional air conditioning. I bought it from Long Beach Honda in September 1980 when we moved out here to California.
Wow! That's where I bought my '85 Honda CRX when my ship was homeported there.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
qkslvrtypes
Fit Photos & Videos
287
07-16-2013 08:38 PM
gawa
Fit Photos & Videos
27
09-12-2010 01:16 PM
TOOL
Other Car Related Discussions
23
06-04-2009 03:58 AM
Sid 6.7
Other Car Related Discussions
6
08-16-2008 02:41 PM
shahril78
Fit Photos & Videos
52
02-15-2007 08:41 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1981 Honda Civic


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.