Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit Freak in Ford Fiesta ST

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Fit Freak in Ford Fiesta ST

Had an invite to go out to a Ford event here in Phoenix. They had several "comparisons", like Ford F150 vs Silverado, Fusion vs Camry, etc. One other thing they had was a test of the new Ford Fiesta ST, with the 6 speed M/T, 1600 cc turbo engine, 198 HP.

That little sucker is fast!! First ride is with a "professional driver", and then you take it on a lap. Start off on the course and shift into 2nd right away, and stay in 2nd the entire course. No problem, we were doing 60 MPH real quick, then slow really fast for curves, speed up, etc. I was surprised the car was that fast.

Have read some reviews of it. Not all that great of a daily driver, cuz ride is a kinda harsh (as in suspension for a race track). I personally like the looks of the car, but not the dash or the seats. It would be so interesting if Honda would build a Fit Si or equivlent, that would be at least as fast as the Fiesta.

If anyone gets a chance to test this car, do it, cuz it will be fun to drive. The folks at the test said that Ford is going on a tour to selected cities this year with the ST. Oh, they also had a turbo Focus (268 HP, I think), and it went pretty good too!

Last edited by siguy; 04-12-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM
The Ford Fiesta hatch is consistently rated/reviewed as one of the best in this class of cars, including the Fit. I was originally pushing my girlfriend toward a Fiesta, and then I started reading reviews from owners that have owned the car for some time and not just reviews of the car right off a lot/by some magazine. Apparently the transmissions are awful and start making terrible grinding noises, and it's widespread among Fiestas. Really scared me away from that car, and also partially led to me recommending she buy a Fit.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
I really want a new car, earliest would be this October but realistically probable next summer. The car I am looking at is the 2015 Honda Fit, then I got to thinking what other cars are in its class and I thought about the Ford Fiesta ST. The one I built online was $25K so about 5K over what I really want to spend. Did the one you test drive have the Recaro seats in it? I am not to worried about the stiff suspension, I would be DDing my Fit still if it ran reliable and dint have so much money into it.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
The Fiesta I drove did have Recaros in it. I didn't quite feel comfortable in the seat ( a bit narrow), but then the test drive was only a couple of minutes. The ST handles very well; the suspension would be good if you wanted to run a lap or 2 at a road course. I dunno about having one as a DD. Think I'd prefer the Fit as DD.

The Fiesta does come with a turbo 3 cyl, but only makes around 120 something HP. I have heard that the turbo 3 has to work hard to match the regular 1600 cc 4 cyl that most folks have. Also that the clutchless tranny doesn't work all that well.

If I had the choice between the regular Fiesta and 2015 Fit, I'd pick the Fit just cuz it's roomier inside; taller outside and you can see better. Don't like the Fiesta rear seats that don't fold flat, plus rear seat headrests that get in the way of looking thru rear view mirror.

Hope that you buy a Fit, it will last you a long time. :-)

Old 04-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
I am really torn right now on what to get. I was looking at the Fit then got to thinking what other small hatches are there out there? I am not really a big fan of the new VWs. What about Hyundai or Kie? lol, yea that will never happen. The only other one I could think of is the Fiesta. It would have to be the ST if I was getting one. I would have to take it for a drive but I don't think the stiff suspension would be an issue. I use to DD my Fit with Skunk2 coilovers that was set up fairly stiff.

I really want to get something to replace my truck, that will be fun to drive and I can lightly mod. Being a single guy, with no kids, room is not a big deal for me, but I do still prefer 4 doors. Not really sure what the aftermarket will look like for the new Fits, but I have already found a semi decent aftermarket for the Fiesta. With the Fiesta being a turbo car id imagine the aftermarket support will be much better then say the Fit.

Later in the years is probable when I can really start seriously start looking at my options

Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
I bought my Fit ('13 Base, 5 MT) In Jan this year. Before that, had a 1996 Toyota Tacoma P/U, 4 cyl w/ auto trans. I call it the Weak Dawg, cuz it doesn't have much power. Bought it used in 1999, still have it, has 197,000 miles on it. Reliable little truck, averaged 21-23 MPG in daily driving. I had a Honda Civic before the truck, so always missed the good MPG I had in the Civic.

When I bought the Fit, the first trip I made in it, got 40 MPG. That is the one thing I love about the Fit, the MPG. Have never gotten worse than 30. The truck can be handy to haul things, but the Fit is "it" for daily driving.

Big difference, going from the truck to the Fit, but just like the Fit cause it's more fun to drive and inside space. I wish Honda made a "fast Fit" to compete with the Fiesta ST, cuz I think Honda is a better built car than Ford.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I am really torn right now on what to get. I was looking at the Fit then got to thinking what other small hatches are there out there? I am not really a big fan of the new VWs. What about Hyundai or Kie? lol, yea that will never happen. The only other one I could think of is the Fiesta. It would have to be the ST if I was getting one. I would have to take it for a drive but I don't think the stiff suspension would be an issue. I use to DD my Fit with Skunk2 coilovers that was set up fairly stiff.

I really want to get something to replace my truck, that will be fun to drive and I can lightly mod. Being a single guy, with no kids, room is not a big deal for me, but I do still prefer 4 doors. Not really sure what the aftermarket will look like for the new Fits, but I have already found a semi decent aftermarket for the Fiesta. With the Fiesta being a turbo car id imagine the aftermarket support will be much better then say the Fit.

Later in the years is probable when I can really start seriously start looking at my options
It would be cheaper to make the Fiesta faster than the Fit (if that's your thing). I really like the Fiesta's looks and love that options like the Recaro seats are available. But really depends on what you value more. A fun car to drive, mod, and build up--I'd say Fiesta has the edge right now. A utilitarian vehicle - Fit, hands down. Fit can be fun to drive as well, but lacks in power and some performance options.

That said, it would be easier to mod an engine than make the cargo space bigger, so the Fit has the overall edge (for my uses). Then again, trailer hitch is $150 and HF trailers are $300, so that kind of evens out the playing field in terms of utility.

What all of this boils down to: Honda, please give us a K-powered Fit.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Fiesta ST

I'm not going to lie, I wanted a Fiesta ST. I only wanted one in automatic trim though (Not a manual). I'm not a fan of manual cars. Only of an automatic with high stall torgue converter and quick shifts (valve body). The ONLY reason I did not purchase a Fiesta ST is because they didn't (and still don't) offer one in automatics.

Otherwise, the Honda Fit is perfect for me in every other way outside of it's speed/acceleration.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
I really hope Honda would stick in a K20 in the Fit instead of us having to do so. But I can't see the 3rd gen as a sporty model anymore.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 AM
To be honest, I test drove the Fiesta ST & I actually liked it. Yet, from what I'm hearing in the Fiesta forums, I've heard of transmission & overheating problems too. Sure I thought about K-swapping the Fit since my motor is nearly 270k at the time of this post. I'm just trying to figure out my options atm.