Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

New Fiesta first drive

Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
New Fiesta first drive

Jalopnik first drive. New Fiesta sounds promising.

2011 Ford Fiesta: First Drive - ford fiesta - Jalopnik

Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
i just read autoblog's first drive. they had some annoyances with it. under power, mid-console wasn't too great, tranny not great.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
US and koreans are all copying off the j-cars. funny stuff. :D

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ right.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I need to buy another car soon. I have a 97 civic hatch that is going to die soon. I am stuck between these two cars. I think the Fiesta will handle better, but I think the Fit has more space inside. Does anyone else think the Fit would be a better pick?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Test drive them both and see for yourself. We are all different in our tastes in cars. I for one like that the Fit has more room, but that might not be as important to you. As for handling, you won't know till you drive both, as my preferences in handling might be different from yours.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
If you're thinking about the Fiesta, why not wait for the Focus RS? I'm not a Ford fan but that car has definitely peaked my curiosity!!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, it might just be another rental car at hertz in the coming months. you should really test drive one (as posted above) and see if you really like it.

although these are a budget cars, they are actually quite different. some are very nice where as some are just plain crap (aka yaris).

Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
If you're thinking about the Fiesta, why not wait for the Focus RS? I'm not a Ford fan but that car has definitely peaked my curiosity!!
I dunno, just a guess (can't speak for the OP), but if you're moving from a Civic to either a Fit or Fiesta, a Focus RS doesn't exactly sound like another thing in that range. It will cost far more, drink far more gas, cost far more to insure, etc.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by HondaFreak05
I need to buy another car soon. I have a 97 civic hatch that is going to die soon. I am stuck between these two cars. I think the Fiesta will handle better, but I think the Fit has more space inside. Does anyone else think the Fit would be a better pick?
IMO the Fit will be a better pick. I thought I would be impressed with those Fiestas but now that it shere, its not doing anything for me aside me being curious about it. But I'm a bias because I own a fit and I would suggest for you to test drive both cars. But if I will buy again, I will be confused between the Yaris Hatchback and the GE8. Don't get me wrong I like the GE8 as well as my GD3 but the Yaris is cheaper lol.

Last edited by Black01; 08-13-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
It's available in YELLOW!

Interesting impressions from Jalopnik. I like the idea of thelong travel suspension (should be more comfortable than the Fit), double clutch AT (less power loss than a regular AT), and I like the front styling, but not the rear. On the other hand, one of the things about the Fit that I really like is the amount of thought that went into the controls -- clearly influenced by people who thought about functionality, as opposed to stylists. If I were looking for a second car, the Fiesta would get a look, but I'm not.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I have been in a RHD model of the Fiesta and have a friend who had a 1.4 liter Mazda 2 equivalent. Although the overseas models are slightly different the basic ergonomics inside are the same and general performance is probably the same. That being said I was only driven around in the Mazda which has a smaller engine then will be on offer here. So what are my opinions?
Well both cars have the same first impression of roominess that the Fit offers. The front seats are nice and comfortable for most people, although the dash is mounted high with respect to the driver/front passenger (kind of like the current gen. Civic). The rear seat has nice leg room but slightly less head room because of the tapering hatchback design. This will be noticed by taller drivers. Needless to say the cargo space is not as useable as the Fit. The design also has a couple other drawbacks. Noticeable is the visibility out the back and rear 3/4 areas. Second, why do we need a sedan version? It's ugly and seems tacked on like an afterthought.
The things that are exciting about the Ford Fiesta/Mazda 2 are the driving characteristics. They have a nice solid feel and purposeful steering. (So I've been told) The 1.6 liter engines are also not too shabby. The last generation Fiesta, which was also a pretty decent car had a 2.0 liter ST version which had about 160 horses and was available in 2 doors only. We'll wait and see if they ever decide on a model like that here in the U.S. though.
We'll also have to wait and see whether the Hecho en Mexico versions are gonna be as bullet proof as the Japanese built Fits. This is going to be the big challenge for Ford.
Anyways... I'm just glad we have more options for small cars that don't completely suck or are bland - i.e. Kias, Hyundais, Chevy Aveos, Toyotas, etc. Please bring more to the U.S.!! I'd like to see VW Polos, and Alfa Romeo, even Fiat for god sakes! They make good cars now. Has anyone seen or heard of the 500 Abarth? But now I'm digressing too much.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by huisj
I dunno, just a guess (can't speak for the OP), but if you're moving from a Civic to either a Fit or Fiesta, a Focus RS doesn't exactly sound like another thing in that range. It will cost far more, drink far more gas, cost far more to insure, etc.
I like the way you think man. I am saving up for a house with the wife, and when I think I had everything figured out, my civic starts to show it's not going to be around long. So now I have to buy a new car. So I was looking for a cheap fun little car that will last. My 1997 civic lasted 13 years. The more I am on the forums here, and reading all the information that you all have supplied, I think the Fit would be more beneficial.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Black01
IMO the Fit will be a better pick. I thought I would be impressed with those Fiestas but not that it here, it not doing anything for me aside me being curious about it. But I'm a bias because I own a fit and I would suggest for you to test drive both cars. But if I will buy again, I will be confused between the Yaris Hatchback and the GE8. Don't get me wrong I like the GE8 as well as my GD3 but the Yaris is cheaper lol.
LOL , I know what you mean buddy. I need a budget car so I can keep saving for my house. I think I am bias to Honda.