Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Bluetooth OBD Reader - anybody tried one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Bluetooth OBD Reader - anybody tried one?

Just bought this flimsy little OBD II Bluetooth adapter,
Robot Check Robot Check

Claims to work with Torque and other Android OBD apps. It cost be a little over 6 dollars so I'm not concerned if it doesn't work. Just wondering if some FitFreakers have tried this out.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
I've used a similar Bluetooth dongle with a 2005 Murano and 2004 Miata. I will try it soon in my 2015 Fit. Unless your dongle is defective I'm sure it will work. Just pair the Bluetooth dongle in your Android settings, download the free Torque app and enjoy scanning engine codes and viewing custom gauges.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm curious about the function of the app. Does it let you monitor oxygen sensor readings? I saw a picture that says O2 on a gage so it looks like it works. Also, what adapter did you use with the torque app? Did it work on the Fit?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes, OBD reader works

It does monitor the oxygen sensor (lambda), but it just hovers around 1.0 the whole drive. Occasionally it will change 0.9 or 1.1, but maybe I can tweak the scale to give me better resolution.

I've only used Torque Pro for a few days so I'm not too familiar with all the options yet. There might be other oxygen sensors/gauges that can be displayed, even if there aren't necessarily more oxygen sensors. For example, the ECU does not report MPG, but the Torque app uses a combination of other ECU parameters to calculated MPG, and it agrees with the Fit's MPG gauge.

Robot Check Robot Check
I use this $11 Bluetooth OBD dongle with my new 2015 Honda Fit EX-L and it works great.

Robot Check Robot Check
I would buy this newer, cheaper model, $9, which is much smaller, so you are less likely to bump it, but I think it would be really hard to bump the one I have anyway because it does not stick out of the dash that much.

I can also confirm that you can use two OBD devices at the same time in the Fit with this $13 OBD splitter.
Amazon.com: Ultra Low Profile Left or Right Angle OBD II 2 Y Splitter Cable 30cm/12": Automotive Amazon.com: Ultra Low Profile Left or Right Angle OBD II 2 Y Splitter Cable 30cm/12": Automotive

When I load up the Torque Pro Android app, paired with the Bluetooth dongle, Torque Pro reports that my 2015 Honda Fit's ECU is reporting the following ECU parameters.
  • Number of trouble codes and I/M info
  • Fuel system status
  • Calculated engine load value
  • Engine coolant temperature
  • Short term fuel % trim - Bank1
  • Long term fuel % trime - Bank1
  • Intake manifold pressure
  • Engine RPM
  • Vehicle speed
  • Timing advance
  • Intake air temperature
  • MAF air flow rate
  • Throttle position
  • Oxygen sensors present
  • Bank 1, Sensor 2:Oxygen sensor & Short Term Fuel Trim
  • Run time since engine start
  • Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp on
  • Fuel Rail Pressure
  • Commanded EGR
  • EGR Error
  • Commanded evaporative purge
  • Fuel Level Input
  • Number of warm-ups since codes cleared
  • Distance traveled since codes cleared
  • Evap. System Vapor Pressure
  • Barometric pressure
  • O2 S1 Equiv. Ratio and/or Current
  • Catalyst Temp - Bank 1, Sensor 1
  • Monitor status of this drive cycle
  • Control module voltage
  • Absolute load value
  • Command equivalence ratio
  • Relative throttle position
  • Absolute throttle position B
  • Accelerator pedal position D
  • Accelerator pedal position E
  • Commanded throttle actuator
  • Fuel Type

I'll post pictures and video soon. How do I upload pictures to this site? Do I have to host them somewhere else? Recommendations?

Last edited by simonx314; 07-24-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Here is a 10 second video of me driving my 2015 Fit with Torque Lite for Android displaying a custom gauge cluster of MPG, MPH, engine load and throttle position. The gauges update very quickly and agree with the vehicle gauges.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM
You can see the oxygen ratio gauge at the top left of the first picture. See two posts above for a description of this Bluetooth dongle.

Last edited by simonx314; 07-24-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added more pictures
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM
That's cool stuff! It must have taken some time to document all of that. I appreciate that.

One more question... what do you use the T-adapter for? Are you running two devices?

The price is right too!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm glad you appreciate it. The 2nd OBD device I use is a telematics device that reports my driving behavior to my auto insurance company. After I turn off my Fit, its cellular radio transmits my GPS track and ECU data. In return I get a slight discount to my insurance premiums, and of more interest to me, a web dashboard that allows me to view my vehicle trips and vehicle data. It also monitors vehicle health, such as battery voltage, engine coolant temperature and check engine light. I can set alerts for exceeding the speed limit or harsh braking which would be perfect for stalking a teenage driver.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
Robot Check
I use this $11 Bluetooth OBD dongle with my new 2015 Honda Fit EX-L and it works great.

Robot Check
I would buy this newer, cheaper model, $9, which is much smaller, so you are less likely to bump it, but I think it would be really hard to bump the one I have anyway because it does not stick out of the dash that much.
Cut and paste error? The above two links are to the same product.

-d

Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by dlong
Cut and paste error? The above two links are to the same product.

-d
My bad. Both of those links are to the dongle that I purchased and in my experience works fine.

If you search for "elm327 bluetooth obd", that is the type of dongle that you need, and the newer ones look about half of the size of mine, so I would get the smaller one. Most are $10 or less. I don't have personal experience with the newer ones, so read the reviews, because it seems like occasionally there are defective ones, not suprising considering how cheap they are.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
My bad. Both of those links are to the dongle that I purchased and in my experience works fine.

If you search for "elm327 bluetooth obd", that is the type of dongle that you need, and the newer ones look about half of the size of mine, so I would get the smaller one. Most are $10 or less. I don't have personal experience with the newer ones, so read the reviews, because it seems like occasionally there are defective ones, not suprising considering how cheap they are.
Would you mind linking to the newer one that you are thinking of buying?

It seems like many of the really cheap ones cut corners (leaving out components). I also looked at the ELM 327 manufacturer's page and it seems that they have a v2.0 (previous version was 1.5) and they highly recommend 2.0 over 1.5 (since pricing is the same from their point of view).

Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by dlong
Would you mind linking to the newer one that you are thinking of buying?

It seems like many of the really cheap ones cut corners (leaving out components). I also looked at the ELM 327 manufacturer's page and it seems that they have a v2.0 (previous version was 1.5) and they highly recommend 2.0 over 1.5 (since pricing is the same from their point of view).
I don't know, I would have to read the reviews to find one I trust as reliable. I'm not planning on buying a second one, so I don't have time to help because its a busy work day. Sorry. As long as it supports ELM 327 it should be fine. Maybe search the reviews for "Torque" to see if anybody says it does/doesn't work with that Android app.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know, I would have to read the reviews to find one I trust as reliable. I'm not planning on buying a second one, so I don't have time to help because its a busy work day. Sorry. As long as it supports ELM 327 it should be fine. Maybe search the reviews for "Torque" to see if anybody says it does/doesn't work with that Android app.
No problem. :)

Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member