Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Fit v M3, Z06, Cayman S, etc

Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Fit v M3, Z06, Cayman S, etc

You may think what an absurd comparison, but just read on . . .

This past weekend I participated in a BMW High Performance Driving School with my AT Fit (with paddle shifters). I was a rank beginner, and the only car among the other 24 beginners that had an AT. the course was @ VIR, 3+ mile road course. Most of the cars out on the course with me were M3's. there was one Z06, one Cayman, etc.

To get to the point, I was amazed at the performance of the Fit. Hardly any cars could keep up with me thru hard corners, esses, etc. Of course, on the straights they roared by me. but my instructor (who sat next to me in the car on every lap) continually said such things as, "Look, they passed you on the straight and you caught them in the turns." Or, "that guy paid 5x the money for his car and he can't leave you." Many a time a M3 would be on my tail at the beginning of a series of turns, and when I exited the last turn I could not see the car.

The instructor really like the car, was surprised at the quality of the brakes, and said the Fit has a good dynamic chassis. (He races BMW 2002s) My instructor said the Fit was a much better car to learn high performance driving in than others on the track, because the other cars had such items as Stability Management, Traction Control, etc. so that the drivers could not really feel what their car was doing. Not so with the Fit.
I even had another instructor come up to me during a break and comment on how fast the Fit was on the course.

But the highlight of the weekend was when I waved the Z06 past me on a short straight, heard the wonderful engine roar by going about 85 mph, and then I dove in right behind his tail at the beginning of some uphill esses. thru the esses the Z06 could not leave me! He didn't gain an inch. He finally put on a little distance at a full speed kink, I stayed with him thru a hairpin turn, and then he was gone done the straight. How often can one say they kept up with a Z06.

And BTW, entering on a long straight at about 50mph, I could not go any faster than 90-92 mph (in 4th gear), I don't see how the Fit can go 109mph as some may claim unless you are either 1) downhill or 2) on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Don't underestimate this car. You just need the opportunity to see what it is capable of -- and don't try it on public roads.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Nice story!! Good to know the Fit can keep up with the "big boys". :D

Old 10-14-2006, 12:36 AM
that 109 is b.s. i ate tha limiter on my car i pushed 120mph a couple of times (against audi s4)(300zx nissan) and none of em left me in fact i dipped on the 300z in traffic but the s4 had to much power while i was toppin out catchin him he was gaining power slowly and pulling lengths on me

Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by having a fit
that 109 is b.s. i ate tha limiter on my car i pushed 120mph a couple of times (against audi s4)(300zx nissan) and none of em left me in fact i dipped on the 300z in traffic but the s4 had to much power while i was toppin out catchin him he was gaining power slowly and pulling lengths on me
Are you saying you think the engine is under-rated? Do you have any mods?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:07 AM
i have an intake filter on the manifold thats it but im spankin cars left and right i think the car is very underrated i spanked a 97 accord from a stop , 96 2.0 golf from a stop a 2002 sentra special edition from a stop and i rape most cars on rolls or on the highway

Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
its good to hear that...the other day my friend and i were driving in this area where there are some S turns and i blew him away...he was driving a Focus SVT...the only thing though is that he was not able to take those turns as hard as me...and the SVT does handle pretty good...i wont consider that a win cause i had the bigger balls to hug those curves:cool:

Old 10-14-2006, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you for your story. Great job on the track.

The key is that this was a driving event for 24 beginners (novice drivers).

The skill level of each driver was roughly similar. That was the biggest factor allowing for a fairly level group performance that day.

Repeat the same event with experienced drivers and I think you would find that the results might be a bit different.

Many of the other cars were designed for much more performance but the drivers did not have the skill to easily make that show on the track. When pushed too hard things can start to get scary.

The FIT is capable and modest raw power isn't that much of a disadvantage if you can keep up in the corners and not loose too much speed. Work on smoothness and a good driving line minimizing shifting of weight.

Next stop- lightweight and wide rims with competition tires that stick to the track like glue. 15x6.5" rims, Kumho V710 205/50-15 tires.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:17 AM
i wanna get some 17 or 18 inch rims with the widest tire i can because most of my runs are circuit and i love passing faster cars in turns when im not supposed to

Old 10-16-2006, 02:00 AM
i wanna get some 17 or 18 inch rims with the widest tire i can because most of my runs are circuit and i love passing faster cars in turns when im not supposed to
You will likely be disappointed with such rims (except for the looks).
As mini-fit mentioned, a nice pair of light 15" rims (and a bit less so 16" if really need the larger size for the looks) with a great tire will serve you best. (I was thinking of upgraded springs with 195/50/15 Goodyear F1 for all around high performance, but if competing and can go with the 205s without being bumped up a catagory, then go for it!)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
hearing this is like music to my ears. I'm so gonna track my car after I mount my wheels, and other stuff, next weekend. WooHoo!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
stock, I've hit 115... by accident. didn't even notice the speed... till I looked down at the speed gauge.... and slowed down. heh, I was wondering why everyone was going what seemed like 30 mph....

My fav thing is to have someone tail gate me... I pull on to the exit ramp, not even breaking going about 50mph. Of course the little sign for "safe" speed is 25mph. Funny thing is that I almost always lose the people behind me and I'm not even pushing the little guy that hard. One of these days I'll see how fast I can really go around those turns ;).

Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
dont try it to much man i trashed my car goin into a turn i didnt take the turn at the right angle i guess but my fit wheel locked and the breaks went out and i had a blow out i wrecked the whole driverside body wise,the breakline and oil pan so dont push it to much i kno im not gonna be doin any retarded shyt for a min hopefully i can get my fit back in the next week

Old 10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
The key is that this was a driving event for 24 beginners (novice drivers).

The skill level of each driver was roughly similar. That was the biggest factor allowing for a fairly level group performance that day.

Repeat the same event with experienced drivers and I think you would find that the results might be a bit different.
Exactly my thoughts...

Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
yea its whateva im lookin to boost my bytch and test the limits again

Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
yea its whateva im lookin to boost my bytch and test the limits again
Why bother destroying a perfectly good ppl hauler?
Wouldnt starting with a proper sports car 100x easier to go fast?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 AM
hehehe i agree. thats why i got a Z4 as backup hehehe

Old 10-26-2006, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Why bother destroying a perfectly good ppl hauler?

Wouldnt starting with a proper sports car 100x easier to go fast?
Built, not bought yo! :D

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 11-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by pkaia
You may think what an absurd comparison, but just read on . . .

This past weekend I participated in a BMW High Performance Driving School with my AT Fit (with paddle shifters). I was a rank beginner, and the only car among the other 24 beginners that had an AT. the course was @ VIR, 3+ mile road course. Most of the cars out on the course with me were M3's. there was one Z06, one Cayman, etc.

To get to the point, I was amazed at the performance of the Fit. Hardly any cars could keep up with me thru hard corners, esses, etc. Of course, on the straights they roared by me. but my instructor (who sat next to me in the car on every lap) continually said such things as, "Look, they passed you on the straight and you caught them in the turns." Or, "that guy paid 5x the money for his car and he can't leave you." Many a time a M3 would be on my tail at the beginning of a series of turns, and when I exited the last turn I could not see the car.

The instructor really like the car, was surprised at the quality of the brakes, and said the Fit has a good dynamic chassis. (He races BMW 2002s) My instructor said the Fit was a much better car to learn high performance driving in than others on the track, because the other cars had such items as Stability Management, Traction Control, etc. so that the drivers could not really feel what their car was doing. Not so with the Fit.
I even had another instructor come up to me during a break and comment on how fast the Fit was on the course.

But the highlight of the weekend was when I waved the Z06 past me on a short straight, heard the wonderful engine roar by going about 85 mph, and then I dove in right behind his tail at the beginning of some uphill esses. thru the esses the Z06 could not leave me! He didn't gain an inch. He finally put on a little distance at a full speed kink, I stayed with him thru a hairpin turn, and then he was gone done the straight. How often can one say they kept up with a Z06.

And BTW, entering on a long straight at about 50mph, I could not go any faster than 90-92 mph (in 4th gear), I don't see how the Fit can go 109mph as some may claim unless you are either 1) downhill or 2) on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Don't underestimate this car. You just need the opportunity to see what it is capable of -- and don't try it on public roads.
Do you think having a MT would make a difference? I'm itching to get out there and rock out my Fit, and I live near VIR, so that would be the place to do it. I've read everywhere that the MT makes the car much faster all around, and I would be willing to bet that it would do quite well in a track situation. Not to put a wet paper towel on your AT, of course, because getting stuck in traffic with the stupid teeny weeny short first gear is irritating. The paddle shifters are cool, too. Either way, sounds like a blast! We (any Fitfreaks near VIR) should go out there and rock it out some long weekend this spring. Cheers either way!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
its amazing how much of a difference a good power to weight ratio makes, isnt it?

If people in this country would just understand that HP isnt god, and some of these damn manufacturers would spend some time and money figuring out how to make the car lighter instead of having more horespower, we would have a MUCH higher mpg average. But its much easier to just bolt stuff on and add more power then to make something lighter yet safe. Look at the Lotus Elise... well under 200hp, but faster then most things on the road. Lightness ftw

Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
oh jeesh... I had to drive my co-worker home (accidently ripped off a nail.. yeah, ouch..) in her "sport" car. The thing felt heavy and I didn't like being so low to the ground. It'll probably drive and handle better without the overdrive... but um... not that much I think. I'm fairly sure I could out run it... well... stock vs stock. oh, heh, I forget what it was... it was something that looked like an eclipse... or one of those girly sport cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fit v M3, Z06, Cayman S, etc