Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

My next car won't be a fit. Will yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Its a 5k car used, 15k car brand new. The demographics are going to skew younger & much older. Middle ages are going to skew up market a bit further.

Also slow & efficient so parents are more apt to buy one for their kids.

<- Former college student, two time Honda Fit owner.

I'm neither but I bought mine because I am cheap. Actually that's only partially true...when I purchased my last car I didn't read any reviews or do much research into reliability...as it turned out the 2001 VW Jetta was the most unreliable and costly cars I've ever owned. So for my next car I vowed to go with something reliable and one that had excellent reviews. Although I initially didn't like the style of the fit...the reviews it was getting caught my eye and the more I looked at them the more I liked them. Hopefully the legacy will prove to be reliable as well. I'm not thinking it will be as reliable as my Fit but as Subaru is climbing the ranks of "best in class" from various sources...I am guessing that it won't be terrible either. I also really like the style and I can get heated leather seats, AWD and a sunroof.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
Speaking of sunroof... Having both the latest generation 2015 GK with sunroof and a recently purchased 2009 GE MT without, I really miss the extra ventilation on my 2009 that the sunroof provides on the newer editions without having to crack the windows.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I know the answer: no.

My GD hit 100K miles with nothing but oil changes. I took it into a dealer for the first time in its life to get the 'full monty', valve adjustment + recalls + all the rest of the 100K foo. The car was exactly the same car I had bought new; tight, responsive, a hoot in the twisties, too loud and uncomfortable for long trips -- but so cheap to run that I did it anyway. Did I mention it was a hoot?

At the dealership this happened.

The insurance man came. Totaled the car before he got halfway around it.

I wasn't driving as much anymore and didn't need the economy as much as I had when I bought it. We had been talking about buying a pickup for "the house" and so I put my insurance check into the pot. Almost $10K, for a 4 year old car with 100K miles that cost $15K new! I hope you all appreciate those numbers because they are amazing in and of themselves.

I too have aging parents, though not so far away. However there is a big city between us and my sister, and we all get together often. I wanted something that held 4 people in comfort and safety so I could take over the driving chores on those runs. So I got a 2011 Lexus GS 350, CPO no less, for well under half of what the car cost new.

Driving experience between the Fit and the GS is literally day/night. Even so I like and enjoy the GS as much as I liked the Fit. It is supremely good at the things I need a car to be supremely good at, at this point in my life.

My next car won't be Lexus GS350. I can tell you that with 100% certainty.

Last edited by wdb; 05-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 PM
It's far too early for me to tell; I only have 99.5k miles on my 2012 Fit, and I don't intend to replace it anytime soon. Maybe if you ask again in five or so years I'll have a better answer.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Cannot forsee the future.....our 6 spd '15 LX, bought about a year ago CPO, has been the perfect car for my needs, will likely see me into retirement (if I can ever afford to retire). I tend to buy something I like and run it into the ground over many years. Our Fit has been nothing but perfect, other than a couple of small paint blemishes - perhaps the original owner had all the niggling problems many seem to have had fixed under warranty and then traded it in? Dunno ....but, c'mon, put things into perspective....look up 0 - 60 times for mid-'70's Vettes, Camaros, etc.....the Fit equals them, at least with the manual. Sure, it ain't fast, but it's quick enough to get into trouble....sure, it ain't stylin', but, form follows function. Progress rear anti-sway bar helps handling.....the car is small on the outside, large enough on the inside, helluva lot of fun to drive in the mountains and back country roads around here, and gets great gas mileage. If Honda produces a similar car when it's time to replace this, I'd definitely consider it. But if the manuals totally go away on "consumer" cars (as opposed to "enthusiast" cars), I'll just keep rebuilding this. I will NEVER have an autonomous vehicle unless the totalitarian gov't seizes and crushes all other cars. Call me crazy, but I enjoy driving, and luckily I live in a small suburban city where stop'n'go traffic ain't a big deal, for the most part

Old 05-24-2017, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
For your purposes the Subaru will do the job just fine. Although I find that I had more room in the Fit than a newer Outback.

My Fit just keeps on going, 07 with 170,XXX miles. I couldn't justify buying another car. After years of telling myself I'd buy a new car I finally did it, and it wasn't a Fit.

I ended up picking up a BMW (F80) M3. A very far cry from the Fit. I still find myself daily driving the Fit though.

Last edited by nosewitdot; 05-25-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Test drove potential Fit replacements today.

Audi S3 is at the top of the list by a country mile.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member

Nice car, but if out of warranty, budget up for significantly higher maintenance and repair costs.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Nice car, but if out of warranty, budget up for significantly higher maintenance and repair costs.
Certified Pre-Owned, would be buying a car with 5 years & 70k in warranty coverage.

I ain't mad at that.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Certified Pre-Owned, would be buying a car with 5 years & 70k in warranty coverage.

I ain't mad at that.

I've owned one VAG product and that was enough. Purchased new. Car rode and drive great. Loved that part of it. Only car I've ever had towed for any reason other than an accident. Five times during the period I owned it. Four under warranty and once after warranty. After 100K miles $1500 bills were the norm. Wait to you have to remove the head to have the combustion chamber and valves soda blasted to remove the carbon deposits so the car will run right. Find out if that's covered under your warranty.

Good Luck LOL

Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned a Mk3 Jetta.

I owned it one month. It was broken three weeks.

My brother had a Mk5 Jetta TDI.

His ICE system failed and spent another $1k on various things in the 20k miles he had it.

Meanwhile in my experience of maintaining170k miles in various Fits....I think I've seen about $2500 in repairs, maintenance, etc.

And $1300 of it are my various sets of tires.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've owned a Mk3 Jetta.

I owned it one month. It was broken three weeks.

My brother had a Mk5 Jetta TDI.

His ICE system failed and spent another $1k on various things in the 20k miles he had it.

Meanwhile in my experience of maintaining170k miles in various Fits....I think I've seen about $2500 in repairs, maintenance, etc.

And $1300 of it are my various sets of tires.
Don't get me wrong, I'm one click away from hating my Fit and that's because hate is such a strong word. I bought it with the intention of driving it two years and giving it to my son when he goes to college. I'm pretty sure I'd never buy another Fit again? If I were to buy another Honda, maybe a Civic? I'm confident in saying I will never own a VAG product again. If I did it would be when I'm retired, not driving a bunch of miles and it would be a lease so it becomes someone else's issue in two years.

If I could go back in time, I'd buy a Fiesta ST in place of the Fit

Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
...If I could go back in time, I'd buy a Fiesta ST in place of the Fit
The ST is a great drivers car, not as good for cargo, although I had both filled up for a recent move, the Fit easily swallowed 1.5x more cargo.

Name:  gjQaJ2H.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  130.8 KB

Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member

Dang those are pretty slick.

Before the Fit I was really eyeing the Golf TDI or the A3 TDI or 3.2 quattro. Then my kid's mom (aka EX), decided to buy a A3 so that was a no go. I have this dumb mental block about not wanting a car that someone close to me has. Plus the whole repair/reliability thing. Swear she's had to take that to the shop in the 2 years of ownership than I have had to take ANY of my cars in the 16+ years I've been driving.

Still...my dad has an S5...and that thing is a BEAST.

As mentioned before, to continue the functionality or the hatch I'd probably end up in a Civic Hatch due to utility, 180hp AND 40mpg.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
The ST is a great drivers car, not as good for cargo, although I had both filled up for a recent move, the Fit easily swallowed 1.5x more cargo.

my wife has a big ass SUV so cargo space wouldn't be any issue. I just need enough room to carry four wheels and tires

Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Dang those are pretty slick.

Before the Fit I was really eyeing the Golf TDI or the A3 TDI or 3.2 quattro. Then my kid's mom (aka EX), decided to buy a A3 so that was a no go. I have this dumb mental block about not wanting a car that someone close to me has. Plus the whole repair/reliability thing. Swear she's had to take that to the shop in the 2 years of ownership than I have had to take ANY of my cars in the 16+ years I've been driving.

Still...my dad has an S5...and that thing is a BEAST.

As mentioned before, to continue the functionality or the hatch I'd probably end up in a Civic Hatch due to utility, 180hp AND 40mpg.
Yeah, lets just say that a lot of my beef with the Fit comes from having spent hundreds of hours in various Fits with my ex-wife.

Civic hatch is something I'd like to test drive. I want to drive everything before I buy anything. I want to keep the next car I buy for a decade, so it better be the right one.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, lets just say that a lot of my beef with the Fit comes from having spent hundreds of hours in various Fits with my ex-wife.

Civic hatch is something I'd like to test drive. I want to drive everything before I buy anything. I want to keep the next car I buy for a decade, so it better be the right one.
Lol I can interpret the word "Fit" in the ex-wife portion as the vehicle or a term for argument.

Yeah thats one of the big things stopping me from test driving the civic...fear I would love it...and the monthly payment would be more.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shawnshank
I

1) AWD - I live in a really snowy area of the northeast and I have found the fit to be very light and squirrely in the snow. It also has a pretty low ride height so I'm always hitting the snow the forms in the middle of the road on the lesser plowed streets around Massachusetts. I purchased brand new snow tires and that helped with traction a lot but not enough to convince me to buy another one. I always feel like I am taking my life in my hands driving my fit in heavy snow on roads that aren't plowed very well. I know that AWD is not fool proof but it's better in snow than most non awd vehicles.

Thoughts?

SS
I live in NY city and l love this car (2009 sport) 9 months a year
In august the ac is too wimpy
In Jan and Feb it isn't good enough in the snow
I am in the process of buying a new car and I am really torn between the civic hatchback and the fit.
I can park the fit ANYWHERE and get out of any douchey parking blocking me in but I have heard such good things about the civic HB I might just sacrifice that bit of size

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Nope. My next car will likely be the 2019 Forester. It is practically the last vehicle made that still offers AMC Pacer panoramic viewing to the driver. I continue to be more reliable than lane departure beeps, side mirror lane changing lights, collision avoidance warnings, automated parallel parking assistants; and I'd like to be able to see past the telephone pole sized B and C pillars that are supposed to make me safe. The last time I checked, all these automatons aren't paying for my incredibly high auto insurance either. It's just me, my 360 camera and soon, my 2019 Forester.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
Nope. My next car will likely be the 2019 Forester. It is practically the last vehicle made that still offers AMC Pacer panoramic viewing to the driver. I continue to be more reliable than lane departure beeps, side mirror lane changing lights, collision avoidance warnings, automated parallel parking assistants; and I'd like to be able to see past the telephone pole sized B and C pillars that are supposed to make me safe. The last time I checked, all these automatons aren't paying for my incredibly high auto insurance either. It's just me, my 360 camera and soon, my 2019 Forester.
I agree I also like the forester. It's probably the second most (if not the most) practical car on the road to the fit. How is the reliability when compared to Honda because I absolutely love the reliability I've had with my Honda and I don't want to lose that?

Quick Reply: My next car won't be a fit. Will yours?