Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

My next car won't be a fit. Will yours?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
My next car won't be a fit. Will yours?

I love my 2010 Honda fit. It is by far the most reliable and practical car I've ever owned. I bought it used with 67k miles on her and in the 5 years I've owned it it's always started right up and needed nothing more than regular maintenance type things like brake pads and oil changes. I could not have asked for more from a vehicle than the fit has given me which is why I still love my car.

However...for its many good points...given my lengthy commute and aging parents who live an hour away from my home...there are a few things I really need in my next car that the fit just doesn't provide:

1) AWD - I live in a really snowy area of the northeast and I have found the fit to be very light and squirrely in the snow. It also has a pretty low ride height so I'm always hitting the snow the forms in the middle of the road on the lesser plowed streets around Massachusetts. I purchased brand new snow tires and that helped with traction a lot but not enough to convince me to buy another one. I always feel like I am taking my life in my hands driving my fit in heavy snow on roads that aren't plowed very well. I know that AWD is not fool proof but it's better in snow than most non awd vehicles.

2) Comfortable ride - The seats in the fits are mediocre at best (thin on cushioning and almost zero under leg support (I'm 6'2" tall and on long rides this gets tiresome). The ride is also choppy on rough pavement and loud as heck at highway speed. I really want something quieter on the road and softer over bumps.

3) Power - There just isn't enough power in the Fit while driving on the highway. When merging onto the highway, trying to pass someone or going up long hill at 55+ mph...the Fit just doesn;t have the power it needs to get out of it's own way.

I think I am going to go with the Subaru Legacy next. My wife is buying a SUV so I will no longer need the cargo space the fit provided.

Thoughts?

SS

Last edited by shawnshank; 05-16-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think those are legitimate criticism's of the vehicle.
But keep in mind, even while admitting those, you say " It is by far the most reliable and practical car I've ever owned. "

That's the trump card to me. - You can add economical.

Where I live, my Fit doesn't have to be a great snow or ice vehicle. The Climate is mild enough.
The seats? I agree aren't the most comfortable. But they are passable to me. OK. I purchased a cushion for the bottom portion, and that has helped a lot.
Power?
Well, I didn't buy The Fit expecting awe inspiring power. It is what it is. See Economical.
What I do like, is despite NOT being a incredibly powerful vehicle, The way The Fit drives makes it IMO fun to drive.
What is the cliche...it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow?

I had a 2010, I now have a 2016...and I think it's "Powerful Enough".
I don't have any problem merging into highway traffic or keeping up with highway speeds.
I find in life....it's often not what you are driving but how you drive it.
I don't know how many times I find myself "putting" behind vehicles with much much more horsepower and acceleration capability, but drivers behind the wheel that just don't use it.
If I want my Fit to move....it moves quickly enough for me.

I also think Subaru's are great products.
And The Legacy may address those things you find lacking.
I would however wonder that if in 5 years you'll be saying The Subaru was the most reliable and practical vehicle you've ever owned?

If I needed a better snow/ice vehicle, and "power" was a priority to me?
I probably wouldn't put a Honda Fit first on my list.

Last edited by fitchet; 05-16-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Not a chance.

I owned a GD from 2011 to 2014 and have owned my GE from 2014 to now....I'll never own another once this one is gone.

Current front runners for its replacement are the Audi S3 and Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti.

Aiming to replace the car in 2018.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Enjoying my Fit in it's current state. Intend to keep it for a while due to functionality, reliability and cheap repair costs and decent MPG. Low cost of ownership is nice as well.

If and when I do sell it, I'll either end up in a pick up truck/4x4 or the new civic hatchback. Hard to beat 180hp, hatchback functionality, added comforts and still get 40mpg highway.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Question...will it? Answer...hell no, not even a Honda. I rented a Hyundai Elantra for a week recently, and it's like night a day compared to my Fit. We have Civics out at work and all of them are crap cars (and they are all new).

Last edited by Spacecoast; 05-16-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Question...will it? Answer...hell no, not even a Honda. I rented a Hyundai Elantra for a week recently, and it's like night a day compared to my Fit. We have Civics out at work and all of them are crap cars (and they are all new).
Half agree. My girlfriend has been driving a 07 elantra since she bought it new in Nov 2006. That thing required only maintenance and its got nearly 200k miles on it. Her ownership even convinced several other family members and friends to give Kia and Hyundai a good look.

I do like that Elantra GT coming out, but that wouldn't be for me...it's more for her. Similar to the civic hatchback, spacious hatchback turbo with 40mpg and 100k mile warranty...awesome, yes please. I've been a Honda guy too long. Sure they've had some serious success with the 90s and now recent models but there were some "junk" models during the early 2000 that I would never consider buying.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
GK is my first fit and first Honda. So far it's been very reliable but I have to say the fit and finish have not been the greatest. I've spent more time at dealership getting things repaired under warranty or getting recalls. I'm not sure if another Honda is in my future just judging from my experience with the fit.

To me the power is adequate for its frame, but it has more than your version. CVT works decent and the paddle shifter let's you downshift at will.

I have an hour commute and the seats are fine. I've done a 7 hour road trip and I was surprised how well the seats were, but everyone is different so this is subjective.

AWD isn't an issue for me. When we get the seldom snow storm, I can use the SUV or work from home.

The gas mileage has been awesome and was the reason I got it as a commuter car. Previous car got 17mpg and now my wife drives it.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Not a chance.

I owned a GD from 2011 to 2014 and have owned my GE from 2014 to now....I'll never own another once this one is gone.

Did your opinion change of the GD/GE generations or because you don't like the GK and don't anticipate you'll like Honda's future Fit versions too?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Did your opinion change of the GD/GE generations or because you don't like the GK and don't anticipate you'll like Honda's future Fit versions too?
I do not like the GK at all, but that isn't the main decision maker.

When I bought my GD, I was a college student & needed something utilitarian, reliable, economical & cheap. When I bought my GE, I was a recent college grad & still needed something utilitarian, reliable, economical & cheap; just wanted something more fun to drive than my Fiesta that I'd replaced the first Fit with.

Now I'm a home owner who just wants something comfortable, quick, stylish & reasonably economical to pair with my S2000. I don't really need a ton of space, as the house is furnished at this point & if push comes to shove I can borrow a family member's truck/van/etc. A Fit will never be the first three of those things.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
@Mike410b... Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the house stage of life.

I just purchased a used 2009 Sport MT and having fun driving it even though it is no comparison to my Fiesta ST daily driver for power yet this GE Fit has its very own redeeming personality that I'm thoroughly enjoying driving for a few weeks until my college student comes back to take over daily utilization.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
@Mike410b... Thanks for the feedback and congrats on the house stage of life.

I just purchased a used 2009 Sport MT and having fun driving it even though it is no comparison to my Fiesta ST daily driver for power yet this GE Fit has its very own redeeming personality that I'm thoroughly enjoying driving for a few weeks until my college student comes back to take over daily utilization.
That's a perfect pickup for a college student! And thank you!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife does not care for cars at all and she goes to places where it is very crowded, tight parking structures, valet parking only, etc. she doesnt want to feel burdened to have to avoid places like that or park far from store entrances to avoid dings, etc. the fit is perfect for such situation. plus the utility is great for an all round household car.

given said that for me, i agree on all 3 points the op posted. while snow tires do wonders on a FWD, if one had AWD and good all season tires (DWS06) , no need to swap really. GK not as comfy as my GE MT was.. and power.. yah what power?

Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I would however wonder that if in 5 years you'll be saying The Subaru was the most reliable and practical vehicle you've ever owned?
I have been hearing mixed reviews on the Subaru's reliability. Some say they are very reliable and others say they are not. Do you have anything to share?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
It will be the new Honda CRV or Mazda CX-5 for me. I'm a huge fan of the Korean companies, but for some reason, they can't seem to stop putting little kiddie windows on their cars. I like good visibility like the Forester gives you, or like the AMC Pacer once gloriously gave us ;>)

Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
It will be the new Honda CRV or Mazda CX-5 for me. I'm a huge fan of the Korean companies, but for some reason, they can't seem to stop putting little kiddie windows on their cars. I like good visibility like the Forester gives you, or like the AMC Pacer once gloriously gave us ;>)
I agree...the visibility is one of the things I love about my fit. We wouldn't need all these backup cameras and side monitoring / lane departure technologies if they just made cars you could see out of.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shawnshank
I have been hearing mixed reviews on the Subaru's reliability. Some say they are very reliable and others say they are not. Do you have anything to share?

I have a Subaru WRX. Most of the issues are with the higher performance turbo models like I own. The performance cars have the tendency for ringland failure especially on cylinder 4. Basically the piston area between the rings breaks down and falls apart. It's anyone's guess why it happens? Many suspect lugging the car in too high of a gear and letting the turbo boost accelerate the car along with a very lean tune to pass emissions and such. I believe Subaru also stopped using forged pistons in their turbo cars like in the older models. Good news is most failures are covered under warranty with engine replacement

that being said, non turbo cars are extremely reliable. I'd expect many reliable miles from an Impreza, Crisstreck or Forester.

Last edited by Rob H; 05-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
I have a Subaru WRX. Most of the issues are with the higher performance turbo models like I own. The performance cars have the tendency for ringland failure especially on cylinder 4. Basically the piston area between the rings breaks down and falls apart. It's anyone's guess why it happens? Many suspect lugging the car in too high of a gear and letting the turbo boost accelerate the car along with a very lean tune to pass emissions and such. I believe Subaru also stopped using forged pistons in their turbo cars like in the older models. Good news is most failures are covered under warranty with engine replacement

that being said, non turbo cars are extremely reliable. I'd expect many reliable miles from an Impreza, Crisstreck or Forester.
I had read that the boxer engine design may be part of the problem since the oil tends to pool at the bottom though I don't profess to know much about it.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Dang is everyone a college student now? I also just picked up a 09 mt for....yep,.... college. I have not had the car for too long but i do not agree that the fit has a ton of visibility. There is that giant blind spot on drivers rear facing side. great car though

Old 05-19-2017, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kipperskipper
Dang is everyone a college student now? I also just picked up a 09 mt for....yep,.... college. I have not had the car for too long but i do not agree that the fit has a ton of visibility. There is that giant blind spot on drivers rear facing side. great car though

I can't think of another modern car that has more or better visibility than my 2010 fit other than the Subaru Forester...can you? It's all glass...like driving around in a fishbowl (which is why I had mine tinted).

Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kipperskipper
Its a 5k car used, 15k car brand new. The demographics are going to skew younger & much older. Middle ages are going to skew up market a bit further.

Also slow & efficient so parents are more apt to buy one for their kids.

<- Former college student, two time Honda Fit owner.

Quick Reply: My next car won't be a fit. Will yours?