Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Autocrossing GD3 in STF

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Autocrossing GD3 in STF

Hi guys,

I am preparing my '07 Fit to race in STF this year, and I am having trouble finding some really decent suspension for autocrossing. I didn't want to post in the suspension section of the forum, since most people in there are seeing how low they can get their car and how many fingers they can fit between the tire and wheel arch!

I would like to avoid the really "budget" stuff and hopefully something like Bilsteins or Konis, something with a good track record like that.

I am also going to get some decent wheels and tires, but for now I'm just focusing on the suspension and wheels/tires, nothing else.

Thanks guys.

I've had a good search for other thread with similar info but not found quite what I'm looking for, hopefully this isn't a redundant thread!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Haha... What do you want to know? I just finished my "winter" season in STF in my '08. Our next championship season starts on feb 10th!

AS far as suspension: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-interest.html

Get in touch with Chris and if you have the budget, he will set you up!

For general experience and notes, take a look at the last few pages of this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...iscussion.html

For tires, 195 50 15 Toyo R1R. Period. If you have a 15x7.5 wheel you can run 225 45 15 Hankook RS3's, which are a bit more friendly to a newer driver (better "feel" and wear like iron) BUT they will be a bit slower...

Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been autocrossing a Miata for 6 years in ES, and I installed some Koni Yellows on that, which I have been pleased with. I like the idea of going with the setup you linked for the Fit.

I have driven a couple of cars with the T1Rs and enjoyed the way they handle. Not sure whether I'd go with a 7 or 7.5 wheel yet, but I agree 195 would be a good way to go. I have a friend who runs 195 T1R on a 7.5 wheel, he just says he prefers the way it feels. Whether or not he gets any more time out of it, who knows :P

Well first step, get in touch with Chris and see what he can do for me!

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by denham
Thanks for the link. I've been autocrossing a Miata for 6 years in ES, and I installed some Koni Yellows on that, which I have been pleased with. I like the idea of going with the setup you linked for the Fit.

I have driven a couple of cars with the T1Rs and enjoyed the way they handle. Not sure whether I'd go with a 7 or 7.5 wheel yet, but I agree 195 would be a good way to go. I have a friend who runs 195 T1R on a 7.5 wheel, he just says he prefers the way it feels. Whether or not he gets any more time out of it, who knows :P

Well first step, get in touch with Chris and see what he can do for me!

Thanks.
I have been talking to SO many people with the goal of prepping my car to be competitive at a national level around here, so if you want to swap any notes or ideas I'd be happy to chat!

15x7 = lighter = better acceleration
15.75 = wider = more grip

Kinda my take on wheels/widths.

Very excited to hear what you decide to do as far as sway bar and spring rates....

Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my buddyclub N+ coils for over 40k miles and they run very well! No leaks, only wore down the rear rubber bushing for the shocks but I can get new ones.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Well I still haven't got around to setting my car up for autocross.

But I just found out a friend is selling some lightweight Honda wheels with V710 r-comps for a good price. So I'm picking those up and I'm going to run Canadian Nationals in HS. Unfortunately only one other competitor in HS right now (yay for Canadian autocross :P), plus the possibility of a co-driver in my car. But throwing the r-comps on and doing a big event will be fun.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM
My girlfriend is looking at a Fit, and after driving a GD3 I immediately thought it would make a great STF car. It's about 200 pounds lighter and has a couple more horsepower than the class leading MINIs. The MINI does have a rear multilink suspension, but the VW GTI did great things with a rear torsion beam for years.

Anyway, if/when we buy a Fit, it's very likely I will start prepping it for STF. I currently autocross a 2004 VW R32 in STX, but I'd love to have options for different courses and weather conditions. Also having a car that can run 195 Toyos would be awesome for chilly Minnesota spring and fall.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't had any issues with my Ksport coilovers. And when ordering u can get any spring rate for just a little extra. I run 225/45 15 on 15x8 949s. Next tire is gonna be a Toyo RR. Spec tire for Honda challenge.

Can't wait to see some video and see how u do. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
The GD3 has been GREAT in STF!!! Here is a recent run from one of my co drivers that would have been a TOP PAX time of day if it was't just a "fun run"

Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
We have the same color wheels lol

Nice run BTW.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
We have the same color wheels lol

Nice run BTW.
Haha we totally do!!!

That run was really really EPIC!!! a 48.8xx or so seconds

My best that day was only a 49.4xx

Luckily though we saved that course design and may run it a few more times over the next season. It was a BIG hit

Old 12-14-2013, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
I think you should check some online portals for this. They might have some.

Tevida Price

Last edited by AngelMalone; 10-01-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
If you are racing in STF Class... I would go with the Skunk2 Pro C because you can adjust preload and ride height independently (for corner balancing) ... and go with a reverse stagger tire size to help understeer.

I run Rivals in 225/45 15 on 949Racing 15x7.5 and 205/50 15x7 on Enkei RPF1... works great.

Drop me a line if you need any help... been autocrossing my GD3 for 4-5 years now.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
How are you guys doing against some of the other cars in STF? Mini, Fiesta, Yaris...any of them contenders? Have been away from Autox for a long time. May order up some RE11's and try it out in the Fit (in HS).

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
How are you guys doing against some of the other cars in STF? Mini, Fiesta, Yaris...any of them contenders? Have been away from Autox for a long time. May order up some RE11's and try it Fit (in HS).
HS is now "H Street," so no more Hoosiers/710's/R comps. The rule for 2014 is 140TW rating, which will go to 200TW in 2015. Depending on your wheel size and GD/GE... I would vote for the Rival or the Dunlop Z2 depending on your preference/driving style

I have done well at national level SCCA events. Best placement in my rookie year was a 4th at the El Toro Pro Solo, and that was in a class that ran on index against EG's and an AE86 on R comps LOL.

Locally I regularly battle it out with a RSX-S, several GE's and a Mazda2. In 2013 I won the 13 event season

IMO, the Mini's are easy to build and have been VERY successfully campaigned in HS. The Mazda 3 also has some BIG potential with a huge variety of engines available including some actually useable torque. Another dark horse is the earlier Corollas which can make solid power and are surprisingly lite. There's no clear class over dog yet, but this year I am in the hunt for some Pro Solo hardware!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
If you are racing in STF Class... I would go with the Skunk2 Pro C because you can adjust preload and ride height independently (for corner balancing) ... and go with a reverse stagger tire size to help understeer.

I run Rivals in 225/45 15 on 949Racing 15x7.5 and 205/50 15x7 on Enkei RPF1... works great.

Drop me a line if you need any help... been autocrossing my GD3 for 4-5 years now.
I'm hoping u mean oversteer.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
HS is now "H Street," so no more Hoosiers/710's/R comps. The rule for 2014 is 140TW rating, which will go to 200TW in 2015. Depending on your wheel size and GD/GE... I would vote for the Rival or the Dunlop Z2 depending on your preference/driving style

I have done well at national level SCCA events. Best placement in my rookie year was a 4th at the El Toro Pro Solo, and that was in a class that ran on index against EG's and an AE86 on R comps LOL.

Locally I regularly battle it out with a RSX-S, several GE's and a Mazda2. In 2013 I won the 13 event season

IMO, the Mini's are easy to build and have been VERY successfully campaigned in HS. The Mazda 3 also has some BIG potential with a huge variety of engines available including some actually useable torque. Another dark horse is the earlier Corollas which can make solid power and are surprisingly lite. There's no clear class over dog yet, but this year I am in the hunt for some Pro Solo hardware!!!
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the rules had changed. Just skimming the rule book, looks like no change in wheel restrictions, except that you can go up or down by an inch. Any ideas on good light 15x6 wheel to use? I just bought some 15x6.5 Feather's, but won't be using them for autox. Only light 15x6 I can think of are 96 Integra GSR wheels, but they're not really that light (15lbs?).

Also looks like a sway bar can be added. Maybe I'll add on a Progress bar. I drive a GD, by the way.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
How light are the GD fits? I weighed my GE it came up 2500 bone stock half tank of gas.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Just about half a tank and in race trim has me under 2400

Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
I used to be 2300 ish with me in it but had to add more weight to meet a certain class. I now weigh 2425 with me and full tank of gas.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing GD3 in STF