Notices
For Sale / Want To Buy / Classified Ads for USED Fit Items Buy and Sell your USED FIT stuff here. Vendors, please do not post here. Use the "Vendor Marketplace" forum instead. MUST HAVE 20 POSTS

WTB Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
Hey ryanroland, look at the pics on the Day54/silver storm thread. Perma link #37 his front rack is in about the same place, 10" back from the start of the roof.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Donscott
The front looks good but I have my rear bar closer to the back of the door. 2" from corner. But what are you riding a bmxer? My bars are spaced further for Kayaks and for spreading the weight out.
Like you Don, I basically only use mine for the kayaks... And I have my rear set-up in the rear just about like yours, approximately 2-3" from the rear end. Bought mine used from craigslist and clips,fairing from ebay, so yeah I got it cheap, just wrap'd it to knock the rough edges off a bit..

Originally Posted by ryanroland
mountain bikes for my wife and I

I've seen a couple set-ups that look like their fairing is right above the windshield, but if the manual recommends the placement there I'm afraid of any bad side effects or ill-fitment
Double RR, Like you stated, I too have seen a lot of the front cross-members and fairing practically directly over the windshield.. I placed mine directly aligned with the door handle for a more sturdy hold..
No manual either just used what "little" common sense that I do have

Areashotswfriends016-1.jpg?t=1309673391

CarbonFiberwind-rainvisors003.jpg?t=1309672432

CarbonFiberwind-rainvisors002.jpg?t=1309672714

CarbonFiberwind-rainvisors014.jpg?t=1309673033

Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
IDK what that means vinny? Hey and question for you guys, Does it look like my rack is mounted further back than it is on most fits? I put it on to the specs of the manual. 10" forward from where the front and rear doors meet and then the back mount is 24" behind the front mount.

Vinny yours looks like the fairing is right up against the front windshield
Cannondale is a popular and very reliable brand of bicycles, ie: Mountain,Police,Security, Recreation types.

Recreation & Urban - Bikes - 2011 | The Official Site of Cannondale Bicycles

Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
I am glad i found this thread, that sportrack looks pretty good, i think im going to buy it for my ge8. do you recommend getting the sportrack snowboard carrier or one by another company to put on the base rack system?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I am glad i found this thread, that sportrack looks pretty good, i think im going to buy it for my ge8. do you recommend getting the sportrack snowboard carrier or one by another company to put on the base rack system?
I don't have the snowboard attachment but I would try the sportrack one and if you don't like it u can return to Costco hassle-free and go get another brand. They are Thule bars so make sure compatible with square bars vs. Yakima round bars

Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Good thing I found this thread before I dumped money on a new Rack. I have a Thule with the 400XT feet and while thule says fit kit 1099 fits a Fit, they've discontinued it, forcing me to buy a new feet and a fit kit, sucks. Just the feet and the fit kits cost more than the sportrack. Time to order!!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
I'm looking for some racks too. Have started looking at Rhino Racks as well as an option. They make a rack called an Aero 2500 that comes in Black (or silver) and has that foil shape which will hopefully provide less drag and wind noise.

Little pricey...around $250 from a guy on eBay Motors.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
I ordered my "Sportrack" base system last night from Costco...make sure you guys are selecting Frontier Reference #2 for the honda fit!

I was going to get the snowboard attachment from there as well but it doesn't lock to the bars, only locks closed, so i think im getting this one by Thule:

Thule 92724 Universal Flat Top 4 - Thule Ski and Snowboard Rack Carrier

Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I decided that I actually wanted to look at the Sportrack before I pulled the trigger and bought one. I live in Syracuse NY and according to the Sportrack website both Camillus Kayak and Dewitt Sports LTD. (South Syracuse Yacht) sell the Sportrack. I first went to Camillus Kayak and they no longer carried them, the owner said he had a rack break on a customers car. I then went to South Syracuse Yacht (sells Kayaks also) they no longer carry the Sportrack, same story, a customer was carrying kayaks and the bar broke.
Since I carry kayaks every now and then I'm taking the Sportrack off my list. As you can see below I occasionally carry a double. Even with the Thule rack the bars flexed a lot at highway speed, I've learned to just take the back roads and just cruise along at less than 45mph.

I ended up getting the Thule feet, bars and Fit Kit for $285 at South Syracuse Yacht, that's less then most online prices I've seen. Go figure, this place doesn't even have a website. I'll post pics as soon as I get it on the car.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
costco.com and it's basically a Thule complete system
Costco - Sportrack® Frontier Roof Rack System

and heres your kayak attachment

Costco - Sportrack® J Stacker Kayak Roof Top Carrier
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for the info, just ordered from Costco with 2 J hook kayak holders, all for $350. Never would've thought to look at Costco. Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ragingti
I know this is an old thread, just wanted to say thanks for the info, just ordered from Costco with 2 J hook kayak holders, all for $350. Never would've thought to look at Costco. Thanks again!
Congrats on the purchase!

If anyone is interested, i think I'm going to be selling my base rack soon because I am selling my Fit and this wont work on my next car. Shoot me a PM with offers!