General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
nice examples GAFIT. those are short threads indeed. but not all fit engines blow like that, do you think it was factory installation error or the aluminum block diecast itself poor quality?
AFAIK, there are very, very few GD's or GE's on the boards with 150k+ miles that don't have the issue.

My friends Fit blew the first plug with the factory original plug that was never touched. I'd guess that maybe cylinder #3 is either more stressed or gets more blow by from the PCV system, or something? Seems to usually be #3 that goes first.

Here's the plug on a new 1.5t from the Civic Si...

Maybe Honda has learned something?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Totally agree GAFIT. The interior is a step up for Honda but still not VW/AUDI etc good.

I too wanted a SI Hatch...but they would never do that because it would take away potential sales from the R. But...I think they'd sell more SI Hatches than R's....but what do I know.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
We were so torn when car shopping. Wanted a Civic Si Hatch! The CTR just doesn't make sense as a daily.

The Civic Si Coupe is an excellent choice if you can make due with 2-doors. It looks good and drives great. Not a rocket, but fun to drive. The interior styling is excellent and the shifter has that great Honda feel. The whole car has a great feel.

My only complaint on the Si Coupe, besides my need for 4-doors, is the quality of the interior isn't up the standards set by VW, GM, or Ford. That being said, I'd buy one!
I liked the Civic Si sedan I drove a whole ton.

​​​​​​I must disagree on interior quality. Every modern Ford/gm I've been in has been appalling, VW are always nice, but the new Civic is really something of an achievement in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
They only had the sedans when I was shopping for my Hatch. I want the larger turbo (can get more boost/hp/tq with Ktuner vs my smaller turbo), LSD, slightly larger brakes and adaptive suspension. But I like my hatch styling.

Hopefully the LSD is drop in. That'd be nice.

Pretty baller for a 1st car man. I'm jelly.
shinjari- thanks for the feedback. yah, the hb-sport is definitely a nice looking ride, no doubt about that. i also think this gen civic-coupe Si looks real good.. and that little specialness of the Si will keep me happy too, i think, cause im going to have to give up my GTI's spot on my driveway for it if i go through with the idea. will need to go see one in person..

yah, my kid will only think that its dad's car that he's allowed to use. im not going to just give him the keys.

We were so torn when car shopping. Wanted a Civic Si Hatch! The CTR just doesn't make sense as a daily.

The Civic Si Coupe is an excellent choice if you can make due with 2-doors. It looks good and drives great. Not a rocket, but fun to drive. The interior styling is excellent and the shifter has that great Honda feel. The whole car has a great feel.

My only complaint on the Si Coupe, besides my need for 4-doors, is the quality of the interior isn't up the standards set by VW, GM, or Ford. That being said, I'd buy one!
thanks GAFIT. yah, im good with the 2 doors on a sporty coupe.. good to hear its got the traditional honda feel to it. huh, from the pictures it looks rather nice inside but maybe the harder plastic is where it feels cheap? would be a bummer coming from my GTI, but ill be driving my R to work anyway so should be fine..?

and if some arse asks why i didnt get the type-r i can just say 'oh, this is my kid's car, my R is at home..'

Old 01-08-2018, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

​​​​​​I must disagree on interior quality. Every modern Ford/gm I've been in has been appalling, VW are always nice, but the new Civic is really something of an achievement in my opinion.
Every inch of my 5 year old Ford product vehicle is covered in either leather, fabric, leather-like material, or is wood. Even the higher trim level F150's have almost zero hard touch items. The most recent Chevy Malibu I rented was pretty darn nice. Not as nice as the Tahoe LT I also rented. Impressed me, but I'm not that hard to please.

Maybe low trim level/model Ford's and GM's aren't nice, but the higher trim levels (Si is the highest trim level Civic outside of the R) are usually quite nice. Well, my friends base Focus ST was also pretty rough. Maybe it's model by model?

The Civic Si impressed me with design, but even the dash was hard touch. That doesn't cut it in today's competitive car market for me. Like I said, I'd still buy one, but hard touch surfaces are pretty dated.

Guess I should give Honda more credit though. Our Fit has zero soft touch items. Heck, even the carpet and headliner look to be out of an '80's Hyundai. They are improving.

I think VW is pushing the envelope when it comes to higher quality materials in lower cost vehicles. Makes me want an Audi!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=kenchan;1390246huh, from the pictures it looks rather nice inside but maybe the harder plastic is where it feels cheap? [/QUOTE]

Would love for you to go look at one and see what you think. I'm on the "I'd buy it" fence, but also think that it could have been executed with higher quality materials.

Maybe it's just not as important when you're talking about a weight conscious Honda sporty car though?

Last test I saw had it slower in the quarter than a GTI, FoST, WRX, etc though. That's not quite in keeping with the Si image. Those tests were early models though. Maybe they have picked up the pace?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
AFAIK, there are very, very few GD's or GE's on the boards with 150k+ miles that don't have the issue.

My friends Fit blew the first plug with the factory original plug that was never touched. I'd guess that maybe cylinder #3 is either more stressed or gets more blow by from the PCV system, or something? Seems to usually be #3 that goes first.

Here's the plug on a new 1.5t from the Civic Si...

Maybe Honda has learned something?
oh okay.. yah, i didnt catch the 150K+ miles part.. plug looks better!

Totally agree GAFIT. The interior is a step up for Honda but still not VW/AUDI etc good.

I too wanted a SI Hatch...but they would never do that because it would take away potential sales from the R. But...I think they'd sell more SI Hatches than R's....but what do I know.
yah, almost seems honda shouldve done a type-r 2 door coupe and a hb-Si..

Originally Posted by mike410b

mike how would you compare the civic-Si's interior to something like a TLX? i know the Si seats are cloth but wat about the other interior bits? in par with Acura?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Would love for you to go look at one and see what you think. I'm on the "I'd buy it" fence, but also think that it could have been executed with higher quality materials.

Maybe it's just not as important when you're talking about a weight conscious Honda sporty car though?

Last test I saw had it slower in the quarter than a GTI, FoST, WRX, etc though. That's not quite in keeping with the Si image. Those tests were early models though. Maybe they have picked up the pace?
yah, i think i will check one out for myself next week. interior quality is important as it's not a machine like my STI where the performance and fun factor completely outweighs the interior's shortcomings.. the civic-si will have to have some other way to appeal to me since, as you noted, the performance is only mediocre at best. im hoping that the shifter feel and interior will keep me happy.. cause i will be using the car on weekends to take my wife out for lunch and running errands, etc.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member

I think VW is pushing the envelope when it comes to higher quality materials in lower cost vehicles. Makes me want an Audi!
maybe its just me but i think my GTI and R's interior looks better than the S3's interior. i like the special seats you can get in the S3 though.

i have ZERO complaints about my Golfs' interiors.. they are very well made down to the dummy switch covers around the shifter trim. doesnt even look like dummy switches!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Every inch of my 5 year old Ford product vehicle is covered in either leather, fabric, leather-like material, or is wood. Even the higher trim level F150's have almost zero hard touch items. The most recent Chevy Malibu I rented was pretty darn nice. Not as nice as the Tahoe LT I also rented. Impressed me, but I'm not that hard to please.

Maybe low trim level/model Ford's and GM's aren't nice, but the higher trim levels (Si is the highest trim level Civic outside of the R) are usually quite nice. Well, my friends base Focus ST was also pretty rough. Maybe it's model by model?

The Civic Si impressed me with design, but even the dash was hard touch. That doesn't cut it in today's competitive car market for me. Like I said, I'd still buy one, but hard touch surfaces are pretty dated.

Guess I should give Honda more credit though. Our Fit has zero soft touch items. Heck, even the carpet and headliner look to be out of an '80's Hyundai. They are improving.

My dad has a pretty high spec F150, brand new, the big ecoboost engine, etc. Let us just say that the materials in my 17 year old Honda put the thing to shame.

Everything GM/Ford puts out under 25-30k is less than inspiring IMO. Your Lincoln was a $40,000+ MSRP car at the time to compare it to a 23k Civic is a bit unfair.

mike how would you compare the civic-Si's interior to something like a TLX? i know the Si seats are cloth but wat about the other interior bits? in par with Acura?
I've only sat in the TLX at an auto show, I can't remember much about it.

The Civic Si is certainly not a luxury car, but the seats were great, the infotainment intuitive, the shifter nicely weighted & the steering pleasant; I didn't notice any issues, but I was focused on other things when I drove it.

maybe its just me but i think my GTI and R's interior looks better than the S3's interior. i like the special seats you can get in the S3 though.

i have ZERO complaints about my Golfs' interiors.. they are very well made down to the dummy switch covers around the shifter trim. doesnt even look like dummy switches!
I LOVE the S3 interior, but for certain the Golf/GTI is a very nice place to be.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Mike, I agree with most of that.

Another place where Honda interiors shine is durability. Our Fit is pretty crude inside, but I have to say that not a single thing has broken. The cheap/plasticky looking stuff has all held up well.

I've had other cars, including VW, Fords, GM's, Dodge, etc, that looked nice when new, but didn't hold up well. All of the rubbery feeling stuff on my Jetta pealed off when it got older and I had a Ram 1500 that fell apart on the inside. Final straw was when the dash cracked in half.

Three best things in the Si are the seats, steering wheel, and shifter. Those are big since they are what you come in direct contact with daily. The motor left me a little bored with it's power delivery, but maybe a Hondata/Ktune would fix that?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
That last bit is SPOT ON. I drove to the dealership in my S2000, so my body was 100% conditioned to shifting by ear/feel at 9000 RPM with a certain soundtrack overcoming all others......so I hit rev limiter on three separate occasions in the Civic because I simply didn't register that I was encroaching upon the red line.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
thanks mike. seats steering and shifter all check. next i will see it in person and decide for myself. but i think i am on the right path.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
k, another day at the office. will do the surface roads again today taking it slow. the GTI early shifts in full auto mode but for this kind of driving it is okay. plus the shifts are oily smooth.

have a good tuesday everyone!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
alright updated ios to 11.2.2 this am..

Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Si has similar if not the same wheels as my sport and the coupe has what appears to be the same front bumper/grill but with a SI badge.

Forgot about the sweet Si bolstered seats. Those would be nice to have too...but due to integrated side airbags, they simply wont be cost effective even from a wreck...then I'd have to wrap them in matching leather.

Yeah while the civic has some hard surfaces, I would have to say they made the interior look good. The first "upgrade" I've seen a LOT of 10th gen owners do is upgrade the door sill handles and center console from the terrible cloth which gets dirty by just looking at it...to the leather covered pieces from leather equipped trims. I would have done the same if I didnt do the entire interior.

Hey 200ish HP is pretty good IMO. Add a 'tune' and boom more powah! Some people have gotten 260+hp/325+tq with a tune/clutch upgrade. However...Kenchan and GAFIT are coming from cars with ridonkulous power in comparison(sti...R...Z...lincoln *cough cough*). I think the civics with the turbo can be fun to drive for sure, very well balanced.

Totally agree Mike410b - with how quiet the civic motor is...i forget how fast redline creeps up. Especially coming from the ap1 that would be tough. But hey the SI has a flashing shift indicator light/rev-limiter light. Not to mention a G-meter haha.

Got a free set of earbuds to test from the company (Avantree) I bought the GFs bluetooth headset this xmas. They are pretty good if I say so myself. Better/fuller sound quality than the Bang Olufsen earbuds I got with my phone.

Its thunderstorms/rain here in San Diego today...so NO ONE knows how to drive. I know you have to be cautious...but FFS...not drive 75% slower than dry conditions.

Last edited by shinjari; 01-09-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Totally agree Mike410b - with how quiet the civic motor is...i forget how fast redline creeps up. Especially coming from the ap1 that would be tough. But hey the SI has a flashing shift indicator light/rev-limiter light. Not to mention a G-meter haha.

Full width tach is just so flipping good for seeing in peripheral vision. I wish Honda had adopted more stuff like this for its other stuff.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
shinjari- thanks for your comments on the civic. i’m thinking kid and i will drive the Si stock if i get it. and i too think the wheels are the same as yours! they look good imo. hope the storm passes by without any hail.

so the drive this am to work was uneventful and boring which is good. i don’t need all this excitement as my work can be extremely demanding and dynamic. i’m starting to like driving the GTI gently in full AT mode. extremely smooth car.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Certainly better than the tach in my Lincoln. It's like a sub-menu item off to the left. I suspect some owners don't even select that screen.

Thankfully, it's an auto and shifts right at red at WOT so the only time I need it for much is getting the launch rpm right. 2100rpm and it launches in boost and you better hold on. 2300rpm and it spins the tires and upsets the stability control system.

I have always maintained that the tach should be dead center and, preferably, analog. The speedometer can be digital and placed anywhere.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the plug that goes in the aluminum head in my Lincoln...

Here's the plug that goes in an Chevy LS with aluminum heads...

Here's the plug for our Golf with aluminum head...

Here's a Fit plug...

That Fit plug looks like many plugs I have changed over the years. I wouldn't blame the plug, there has to be something else going on here. A not quite perfect machining of the threads in the plug bore? Had those plugs been changed before? I have seen where carbon on the bottom of the plug eats the treads as they are removed. The plugs screw back in but at a looser tolerance to the plug threads. Down the road out they blow.

I'm not up on the intricacies of the engine in your Lincoln. I do know that Ford has had huge issues with plugs becoming stuck in their OHC V8 truck engines.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?