Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Hide old announcements & Stickies? (or maybe get rid of them?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Hide old announcements & Stickies? (or maybe get rid of them?)

The GE8 forum is overrun with Announcements & Stickies. And now the addition of this "chatbox" that won't go away...

On any normal computer, (heck any screen that is 1080p or less), you might be able to see one new post becuase there are so many announcements & stickies.

Can we get rid of:
  • the GE/GD Debate? The GE has been around (in the US) as long as the GD has and the debate is pretty much over. This GE/GD Debate shoudl be moved to the forum rules if anywhere and the announcement removed to free up some space on the site.
  • The Posting Pics. This is also a waste of space. Maybe it belogs in the Rules as well and the rules needs to be renamed to something like rules & _____
  • Unlock my doors Sticky - it's a DIY and belongs in the DIY section
  • JDM conversion for the GE - this is another DIY/parts list. does it need to be stickied?
  • Unofficial Exhaust clips - This should be in with the Reader's Photos so people can post their own exhaust clips. Maybe change the name from Photos to "Reader's Rides (GE)- Post your Pics/Vids/Clips here"
  • the Chatbox - oh man... the chatbox - This is just a post whose intention is to not stay on topic. Mods usually lock posts like this that get off topic but becase this one has a name, it is supposed to be left alone? Move it to the OT as PM's and OT are for chatting.

OR...

is there a way to hide announcements & Stickies so those of us that don't want to see them can bypass them and get to the stuff we really want to see, the important stuff, things that change on a daily basis.

announcements are for NEWBS or for new announcements which should last only for a short period of time, then be moved to a section of their own. The most recent announcement is coming up on a year old and others are over 4 yrs old.

I guess I'm just getting tired of having to scroll past 8-9 different topics (if you include the Chatbox) before seeing any relavant posts. I wouldn't even mind having a collapsible announcements where you could see the header by itself Announcements and then see (*NEW*) every time a new announcement is posted. (once ever 1.5 years?) Might also increase the speed of the server as it doesn't have to pull the announcements from the database for anyone who "ignores" or "collapses" the Announcements section.

Any help here?

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 07-21-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Cool I usually use...

The New Posts button at the top rather than looking in each forum...and when I am done I go to Quick Links and Mark Forums Read...

Then I only see the new posts and can quickly scroll through them...

Keith S. :{)>

Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
chatbox rocks! in a way it prevents more useless threads from being created and lazy ppl from searching. i.e. someone wanted to know the thread pitch of the GE shifter, instead of starting a new thread, searching, the question was posted ine the chatbox and was also answerd. new members pop in and introduce themselves instead of creating a new thread. lots of info and random stuff goes on in the thread and alot of the members become more familiar with eachother like friends. imo the chatbox is an awesome thread. it is on topic, topic of chatting about the GE Fit. but all the other suggestions you stated above are quite reasonable. i agree a bunch of the stickies are outdated and some do belong in other areas.