Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Website using fitfreak content for profit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Website using fitfreak content for profit.

I ran across a particular website and was surprised to so an article written by me up there with no credit to me or to fitfreak.net.

Funny thing is the site claims to have the information copyrighted...

Not an issue to me except they have adds everywhere so I assume they make profit from it, not cool with me.

I have a ton of valuable info from others, that I could make money off of but its not mine so I dont. I dont see it as being the same as pirating software or such, unless it too is used for profit.

the URL is, The Ultimate Collection of DIY Guides

specifically my article which has an incorrect header is,
Paint Your Headlight the right way | Honda Fit DIY

Not sure if fitfreak cares about this but looks like its been up a couple years at least, 2010...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM
It's not uncommon for other people to set up sites that simply copy info from sites they're not affiliated with, hoping to attract enough people to those sites and profit from ad-selling. There's a hardware company that does that with stuff posted on alt.home.repair, and it garners occasional complaints.

From how I understand this site's Terms of Service, what we post here we allow fitfreak.net to post (duh) and also allow them to license it to others, but it's our content.

So, if it really bothers you, put a copyright posting on everything you post, and send a cease-and-desist letter to that other site.

This posting copyright 2012 by Shaun Eli Breidbart. All rights reserved.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I saw that a while back... pretty much all of Niko's DIY's are on there.

Surprised no one mentioned it earlier.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thefit09
Says
" DIYmyHonda.com makes no claim to any of the guides posted on the site. No copyright infringement intended. They are the copyright property of the enthusiastic owners who wrote them. If you believe a guide has been incorrectly credited or has inaccurate information, feel free to contact us and we’ll address your concern as soon as possible. If you wish to have your guide hosted, feel free to contact us. info@diymyhonda.com All guides are intended for educational purposes only. DIYmyHonda.com is not responsible for any damages done to your vehicle. Use at your own discretion.
Use common sense. Safety first!"

Which is a joke because first off it says "If you believe a guide has been incorrectly credited or has inaccurate information, feel free to contact us and we’ll address your concern as soon as possible."
No authors are cited whatsoever.I did contact them and received a BS reply of we will get back to you in 6-8 weeks... not holding my breath on that one.

LOL
On top of that it claims copyright on every page regardless of what the disclaimer states.

It doesnt bother me all that much I have real things to worry about, but it is irritating that all I asked was they credit fitfreak and the authors and I get no response.

I was really just hoping that whoever owns fitfreak would be peeved enough to pick it up.

Copyright 2012 CGR & SlimChriz

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
I came across this site last week when searching lowering springs and was surprise to see the same DIY as on this site. I guess if you post on forums, webpages and other sources it becomes public domain.

Last edited by cjecpa; 06-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
It's not public domain, anything you create is instantly copywrited unless otherwise specified in terms of use agreements, but that won't stop people from using it.

Ironically, all you're doing by linking to their site in this thread is giving them more traffic and moving them up the list on search engines.