Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Closed threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:53 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Closed threads

If a thread gets closed due to the subject being 'covered in another post', it would be nice to include a link to that other post.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Surely in most cases, the moderator must already have the other thread at hand, or else they wouldn't be sure that the new thread is actually redundant. Also, the CLOSED threads show up in the search results, so people who search hit dead ends.

Finally, there are plenty of interesting terms that can't be used in searches because they're too short -- fan, hub, gas, AC, ECU, VSS, ...

Last edited by kps; 11-22-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Someone that Posts too much
most moderators read all the posts.. so they know it's been covered to death.. but they won't know specific posts..

other boards basially just delete your post so that it won't show up in the search results.. you want that instead?

-joe

Old 03-11-2007, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Closing threads

If a thread in this forum is already been covered its ok for me that it is being closed. But then pleas leave a note that it HAS been covered. You dont always do that. And when we search again, those closed threads pops up again.
Does this forum support adding one thread to another thread, like moving the new thread into the already excisting thread? Would'nt that be better way to do it?

And now over to another question about "Closing threads":
Why closing a thread when YOU as a moderator think the discussion is over? I have seen it done many times here. And when so often the new threads with same issue pops up, you close them to.
So I most often go to another forum instead (meaning not fitfreak.org forums) and ask the question. This is leading to this forum getting lesser traffic (not good) and less people reading it (not good either).
Why at all close a thread if it has not been covered elsewhere on this forum?

If it's "just the way it is here" then I will accept it and leave this forum...

Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Managing forum information is always a challenge.

I think merging threads of same subject matter is a good idea. Let me check with Dojo if Mod's have this ability.

If the users feel that threads are being closed prematurely, please give me examples so we may better understand the problem.

Perhaps we need to refine the forum's search capabilities?

We also quietly implemented "Tagging" to help categorize information on the site. Right now only moderators can tag the thread. Maybe we should provide our users the ability to self tag threads?

( ref: Tag (metadata) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Could I get everyones feedback on this issue now that some time has passed?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM
fortunately, uncommon tags will gravitate to the "bottom" of the cloud and eventually go away.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
To be honest, I have had a thread closed by someone and they simply said it was on the forum already. I searched and nothing. Then this person sent me a personal message after I setup a new thread to get the answers I needed in the first thread which was closed prematurely. This message was threatening and I didn't appreciate it. I am a new member here, but I didn't think I needed a rude message about it. I searched again for my topic and yet still didn't find the answer. So if there could be a link or a finer search, it might alleviate some headaches of searching.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 PM
You guys were a bit quick to merge 'Fit Mirrors' (about the Canadian DX, which may have absolutely NO wiring for power mirrors) with 'Wiring For Power Side Mirrors' (where you definitely do).

I hope you are reading what's in the thread before merging/closing.