The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Same boring shit.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Same boring shit.

Absolutely nothing interesting going on in the fit world. Same tired stupid threads. Same questions asked over and over again and same groupthink shit mods going on. Could somebody do something interesting?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Lyon, I don't think many will respond to your thread.

Here is what I have been thinking about and I may pull the trigger on very soon...you may call it a "shit mod" but i would like your input.

I would like to do a remote-mount turbo on my ge8. I owe over 10k on my fit and I want more power without hacking up my car or blowing it up. I think I could make low boost with this set up.

I'm sure you have seen these before...the turbo replaces the muffler. It has its advantages and disadvantages. After reading your turbo build thread Its easy to see the ge8 is a difficult car to work on and why no one else in the states have tried it.

DSM thinks a remote turbo would be possible...What do you think? At what point do you think the stock ge8 couldn't handle low boost? How much boost are the stock injectors good for? How much boost can be made before the maf would need clamped? any help would be appreciated thank you Lyon.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I know you can do it, I explicitly said it's not the route to go however.

But if you want to try it I would help you. It's gonna take a ton of research on your end though.

They are inefficient and laggy as balls, FWIW.

Injector flow is going to be determined by how much air you are moving, not how much boost you are running. Different turbos will move different masses of air at a given pressure ratio. They will also be sitting in different parts of the compressor map, chucking out different IATs.

Take your time and save up while you are learning.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Boat-car conversion. 2015. Stay tuned!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kirinzon
Lyon, I don't think many will respond to your thread.

Here is what I have been thinking about and I may pull the trigger on very soon...you may call it a "shit mod" but i would like your input.

I would like to do a remote-mount turbo on my ge8. I owe over 10k on my fit and I want more power without hacking up my car or blowing it up. I think I could make low boost with this set up.

I'm sure you have seen these before...the turbo replaces the muffler. It has its advantages and disadvantages. After reading your turbo build thread Its easy to see the ge8 is a difficult car to work on and why no one else in the states have tried it.

DSM thinks a remote turbo would be possible...What do you think? At what point do you think the stock ge8 couldn't handle low boost? How much boost are the stock injectors good for? How much boost can be made before the maf would need clamped? any help would be appreciated thank you Lyon.
This is not boring. Nor is it shit. That's a different crowd. For stock internals I would bet the limit is about 20-25 psi before things just start breaking. For an extremely aggressive 'knock bounce' tune your limit is about 10-12 psi. 14 psi and you start breaking things. Keep in mind this is with a small integrated wastegate turbo. By a 'knock bounce' tune I mean aggressive afrs and timing that is so aggressive that the engine is perpetually on the border of knock and you are relying on the stock ecu to pull timing and add fuel in the face of knock. The advatage of this setup is that you will squeeze every ounce of power out of low boost. You are always running at MBT (except the milliseconds you knock for) and you are always running MB-A/FR (well for simplification purposes we will say you are) The bad part of the 'knock bounce' (picture your tune bouncing back off of knock like the tach bounces off the rev limiter) is that it's only good up to 10-12 psi. Then you will have to switch to a more conservative afr/timing/chemical intercooling/etc. setup. This also means you probably won't make any gains over the aggressive tune until about 16 psi. Everything beyond 16psi is uncharted territory still for the GE, I've never been higher than that. Just remember, aggressive tune above 10-12 psi = bent rod. I've got one to show for it.

Stock injectors are 277cc. My injectors are 310 cc (oops) I max out IDCs at 14-16 psi. So stock will max out at 10-12 psi.

You need to clamp the MAF as soon as you are making boost. This is essential to piggyback tuning and an integrated part of the FIC. You can't properly tune without a clamped maf. The best setup I've pulled off is MAF driven outside boost and MAP driven inside boost. And O2/map hybrid driven for part throttle inside boost.

However, remote mount turbos are 'interesting'. The only time I really think of them are in pickup truck beds, because that's just awesome. Also the pickup truck bed has the advantage of gravity so in some applications they don't need an oil sump/pump to get the oil back. You will. Getting the oil there will be a challenge, but possible. Get the oil back, safely, will be the real struggle. And it will be expensive. Also your charge pipe will be impossible to get back safely. Without hours and hours of fabrication making brush shields for the charge pipe (even that's not foolproof.) you will always be at risk of destruction of the charge pipe and therefore foreign object damage. Also the distance from the engine will hurt spool time. Both for the exhaust pulses to reach the turbo (and at a diminished velocity) and the time to 'fill' the incredible length of your charge pipe.

Now with all that being said, it's still possible.
But, you need to make sure your motivation is correct. If you are doing it to go fast, you'll never be happy. But if you are doing it just to show that you can and to make something unique. A show of individualism, then you will be immensely pleased with whatever you do with your ge8.

Note: I use psi interchangeably as a measure of airflow which it is not, but it gives you an idea.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.