1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Auxiliary Input Jack

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Auxiliary Input Jack

I am thinking of purchasing a Sandisk MP3 player and would like to use it with the radio/CD unit in the Fit. Does anyone know if and how I would connect it for use? I suspect the auxiliary input jack would be utilized with a connecting cable/cord? I have checked the owner's manual and it is no help.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2008 Sport Fit Manual

Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
You plug one one of a 1/8" interconnect in the headphone jack and the other into the aux in. Find an interconnect at any place that sells anything audio. Any brand is the same as another in this case. On my Sansa Fuze, I need to max the volume on the player for it to sound right because there is no line out option.

The Sansa Clip and Fuze sound wonderful, but I recommend better headphone of course. A pair of JVC FX-66 Air Cushions is a cheap and comfy solution to that.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
All you need is a male to male cord. I have one and there very easy to find. Any electronic store should carry them. The length is personal preference. As for tuning the MP3 player to sound good on your stereo you will need to play with the setting of both your stereo and the MP3 player.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the information! I figured it was probably easy to do. Looking forward to some good motoring with some good tunes !

Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
just hit up the local wal-mart and go to electronics and find like around the ipod crap and there should be a 5$ cable that is like 6ft long. or you could go with the like spounge cable which i own and stretches, i love it. the 6ft one is kinda annoying as it was made for people that are sitting in the trunk to change the song and you have 5ft of extra cable you dont need.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
if u look online its like $1.50 but if u want it now then its like $4 and up

Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i forgot where i got mine but it's like 12inches long... it was some hometheather online store in Texas...

Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
radio shack, bestbuy, even walmart probably

Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, i forgot where i got mine but it's like 12inches long... it was some hometheather online store in Texas...

Is 12" long enough to use when skipping/changing tracks etc.? I found a 2ft. length online for $3.99 and thought that would be a good length.

I'd rather have the 12" (less wire to deal with) as long as I can see the player when selecting whatever.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I made my own and chose to make it 3' long. It would have been fine at 2' mostly likely, but i can set the player in my lap with 3. Since the Sansa plugs in at the bottom rather than the top, you might want it a bit longer than someone with their jack on top. Most times I keep my player in a gooseneck mount that bolt onto the seat track so I can see it and change tracks without needing to grab it.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somdamon
Is 12" long enough to use when skipping/changing tracks etc.? I found a 2ft. length online for $3.99 and thought that would be a good length.

I'd rather have the 12" (less wire to deal with) as long as I can see the player when selecting whatever.
since i place the player in the 1din pocket right under
the player it's long enough. i can see the screen
clear (mine's the zen).

Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all the input!

I have decided to go with a 2ft. length and just tie it back if it needs to be shortened.

My first experience with a MP3 player - so this is all new to me!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
if the cord is one of those cords with 2 smaller cords molded together,
you can wind it up on a pen or something and make it into a long
telephone coil. (old RC car receiver/servo wire trick. )

Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by m0ntels
You plug one one of a 1/8" interconnect in the headphone jack and the other into the aux in. Find an interconnect at any place that sells anything audio. Any brand is the same as another in this case. On my Sansa Fuze, I need to max the volume on the player for it to sound right because there is no line out option.

The Sansa Clip and Fuze sound wonderful, but I recommend better headphone of course. A pair of JVC FX-66 Air Cushions is a cheap and comfy solution to that.
Ok, so you plug one end to the headphone jack (on the sansa) and the other end to the aux in. Then what?

Sorry, but I get no sound! the radio is set to "aux." I even had the sansa on an fm station playing a song as I plugged it in?

Please give step by step to a nubie...like what do you do first, then....

thanks,

Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Maybe the volume on your sansa is too low. Put it at maximum.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
monoprice.com

cheapest place for me

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by winFit
Ok, so you plug one end to the headphone jack (on the sansa) and the other end to the aux in. Then what?

Sorry, but I get no sound! the radio is set to "aux." I even had the sansa on an fm station playing a song as I plugged it in?

Please give step by step to a nubie...like what do you do first, then....

thanks,
I have a Sansa MP3 player that I use all the time on my Fit. Works fine.

(1) Turn on units (radio/cd player) on Fit and Sansa MP3 player.
(2) Check Fit unit works (sound coming out - broadcast or CD) at comfortable volume level. Do the same with your MP3 player using headphones. Don't forget to check the battery charge level on your MP3 player.
(3) Turn volume down on the Fit unit and select Aux.
(4) Connect the Fit unit with the Mp3 player using male to male connector cable. On the Fit, plug the cable to the mini jack. On the MP3 player, on the headphone jack.
(5) Turn up the volume on your Fit unit. You should hear your MP3 player tunes on your Fit speakers by now if did (2).

NOTE: I usually set the MP3 volume to 3/4 then adjust the Fit unit's volume. Having the MP3 player full blast sometimes clips the sound and comes out sounding distorted.

Hope this helps. Any simpler, I'd have to draw it on a napkin for you.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:07 PM
sansa player on aux

Originally Posted by Subie
I have a Sansa MP3 player that I use all the time on my Fit. Works fine.

(1) Turn on units (radio/cd player) on Fit and Sansa MP3 player.
(2) Check Fit unit works (sound coming out - broadcast or CD) at comfortable volume level. Do the same with your MP3 player using headphones. Don't forget to check the battery charge level on your MP3 player.
(3) Turn volume down on the Fit unit and select Aux.
(4) Connect the Fit unit with the Mp3 player using male to male connector cable. On the Fit, plug the cable to the mini jack. On the MP3 player, on the headphone jack.
(5) Turn up the volume on your Fit unit. You should hear your MP3 player tunes on your Fit speakers by now if did (2).

NOTE: I usually set the MP3 volume to 3/4 then adjust the Fit unit's volume. Having the MP3 player full blast sometimes clips the sound and comes out sounding distorted.

Hope this helps. Any simpler, I'd have to draw it on a napkin for you.
That is detailed...thank you, I will give it a try!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to help. Hope it works for you!