1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

big problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy big problems!!!

I just found out that the paddle shift and the sport feature on my fit no longer works. My cruise control doesn't work either. my 3 year warranty is up.

Anyone know what could've happened? I rarely used these features.

Any recalls for these issues?

Would the powertrain warranty cover the sport feature?

help!!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh damn, not uncommon to hear the paddle shifter being faulty. Can I ask how many mileage do you currently have? I think the coverage for power train warranty covers up to 75,000 miles. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
i think when i last checked my powertrain is still covered.. i have 32k.
So the paddle shifter is powertrain right? what about the cruise control? It seems like both are not functioning.. not a good thing..

Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
It might be a wiring hardness problem. I would be surprised if they're not in the same cable bundle. Do other things on the steering wheel work like the horn? Checked your fuses, too?

Digi

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah I would say look at your fuses first

Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Ditto -- find your owner's manual, and look for the fuse chart (unfortunately, "fuse" is not in the index). Then prepare to yank open the dash panel below to the left of the steering wheel, do some contortions, and look for a blown fuse. A shop light helps. Don't try this on a rainy/snowy day.

As a relatively new Fit owner, I find the fusebox to be the worst part of the Fit's engineering -- there is really no excuse for making it so difficult to access. When you're at a certain age, and eyesight isn't as good as it once was, it's a true PITA to identify the correct fuse, especially since you can't look at the fuse panel and the chart at the same time.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
thanks.. i tried to find the fuse but had a hard time.. i will yank the panel off to check the fuse. I will also test the horn later to see if that's working. Weird thing is when i shift to Sport mode, it still runs in auto.. could that be because of the fuse also? wierd.. assuming it's not the fuse, does the work fall under powertrain??

Also, has anyone taken their car in for 30k maintenance? I can't find in the manual what type of work is needed at 30k. Can someone provide me a list of a site that shows what kinds of work is needed for 30k maintenance? I want to make sure the mechanic does everything listed!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Trust me -- it's not the horn fuse. I blew that one Tuesday, which locked the transmission in Park. I had to do the screwdriver/key thing to get back home.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hqly
Also, has anyone taken their car in for 30k maintenance? I can't find in the manual what type of work is needed at 30k. Can someone provide me a list of a site that shows what kinds of work is needed for 30k maintenance? I want to make sure the mechanic does everything listed!
There is no recommended 30k maintenance, just the code the maintenance minder throws out at around that mileage, which would probably be a B12 or so.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
It's not the horn, that's working fine.
I'm not sure how a fuse can affect the sport feature? I mean isn;t the sport feature related to power train?

No maintenance minder has come up but when i called the dealership they said that I'll need to come in for a 30k maintenance checkup. Probably their way of making money off me.

I found a buddy who knows someone who works ther and said he'll do it for 150.. not bad if it includes changing oil.. all the filters.. brake fluid and hopefully fix my problems..

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
Let us know what works out. As an owner of a 2009 AT Sport with 4400 miles on it, I'm extremely interested in the answer.

While I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible, of course dealers are trying to make money off you -- it's how they stay in business. I have no problem at all with this concept. Service facilities and staff cost money, and maintaining an inventory of parts for years or decades costs enormous amounts of money. Dealers who charge and do bad work are another matter, but my closest dealer (Curry Honda of Atlanta) seems to be a good one, although I hope to see them rarely, if at all, after the first oil change.

I also own a 1999 BMW motorcycle -- you can't believe how cheap Honda parts and service are in comparison! The boxers require a "minor" tune-up (oil change, adjust valves and sync throttle bodies) every 6000 miles, and the engine takes more oil (5 quarts) than a Fit for an oil change. My first (and last) dealer tune up ran $412, and was a great incentive to learn to do my own maintenance. The "major" tuneup interval is 12,000 miles, costs even more. Tires are about $300 a pair, and last 8,000 miles (at most).

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by hqly
I just found out that the paddle shift and the sport feature on my fit no longer works. My cruise control doesn't work either. my 3 year warranty is up.

Anyone know what could've happened? I rarely used these features.

Any recalls for these issues?

Would the powertrain warranty cover the sport feature?

help!!
If the failed part is a powertrain part the warranty covers the diagnostic and the repair. If you take it to a dealer they WILL tell you there is a diagnostic charge, usually one hour ($90.00us at my shop). If they do not say so, make VERY clear up front that if the repair is warranty that you will NOT be charged the diagnostic fee. The repair will likely require dealer diagnostic unless this is a common or at least repeat known issue.

There only recalls on USDM GDs is for SRS timing (software update) and an SRS harness check. Not all cars have both/either.

That being said, do you have any warning lights on? Check engine, brake, etc?

Does the cruise control power light come on?

Do you ever have to override the shift interlock to get out of park?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Rancid777
Oh damn, not uncommon to hear the paddle shifter being faulty. Can I ask how many mileage do you currently have? I think the coverage for power train warranty covers up to 75,000 miles. Correct me if I am wrong.
US Fits carry a 5 year or 60k mile (some have an mileage extension of 3% due to the Vaughn class-action lawsuit) warranty on powertrain parts, whichever comes first.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden

While I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible, of course dealers are trying to make money off you -- it's how they stay in business. I have no problem at all with this concept. Service facilities and staff cost money, and maintaining an inventory of parts for years or decades costs enormous amounts of money. Dealers who charge and do bad work are another matter, but my closest dealer (Curry Honda of Atlanta) seems to be a good one, although I hope to see them rarely, if at all, after the first oil change.
Well said, I agree.

Originally Posted by Selden
I also own a 1999 BMW motorcycle -- you can't believe how cheap Honda parts and service are in comparison!
A Beemer? Yeah, I've heard stories about the simplest of maintenance on certain BMW bikes. Haha, this Fit stuff must be cake for you.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
It's actually fairly simple to work on, but with 6000 mile maintenance intervals, fairly frequent. Fortunately, I enjoy fiddling.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Is the sport feature (paddle shift) considered powertrain?

My emergency lights are working, hand brakes are not engaged and foot brakes are fine. I rarely used sport feature, I only tested it out when the cruise went bad. I have no clue what the problem may be; not sure if it;s a fuse because I wouldn;t think a fuse can cause the car to not operate in sport mode.. otherwise it could be very dangerous!

Last edited by hqly; 12-09-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rhyneba
If the failed part is a powertrain part the warranty covers the diagnostic and the repair. If you take it to a dealer they WILL tell you there is a diagnostic charge, usually one hour ($90.00us at my shop). If they do not say so, make VERY clear up front that if the repair is warranty that you will NOT be charged the diagnostic fee. The repair will likely require dealer diagnostic unless this is a common or at least repeat known issue.

There only recalls on USDM GDs is for SRS timing (software update) and an SRS harness check. Not all cars have both/either.

That being said, do you have any warning lights on? Check engine, brake, etc?

Does the cruise control power light come on?

Do you ever have to override the shift interlock to get out of park?
Cruise lights do not turn on. When I shift to S, the car drives like it's in D.

Bthere's a service minder for oil change but nothign else. Kind of bewilders me. I guess i'll call honda again to see if the paddle shift is considered powertrain. the last guy said he's not sure.. I won;t be brining my car there for sure.