1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Best tires for 08 Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Question Best tires for 08 Sport?

Just ran over a nail in the parking lot with my right front tire, but need new front tires anyway (LUCKY, that never happens!)

We usually prefer Michelin, but a web search revealed that they don't have the exact tire to match. I believe the standard on this fit (2008, but 1st generation) is P195 / 55 R15 84H.

Any tire recommendations for this car? The stock Dunlops have pretty much always sucked - so def. looking to upgrade. This is not a tricked out car - we use it for transporting people and bikes! So not looking for fancy, just a good tire that doesn't pull horribly (like the Dunlops did) and gives a smoother ride.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
With the 109 h.p. the lightest tires is what I get now. I say this because of the benifits I have learned here
MPG improvment
Performance= quicker
Handling= quicker
Less wear on the suspension and brakes

Trade-offs
More road noise

I upgraded to the GoodYear Eagle GT last April (2010) and they are a Great tire! Way less road noise, good in rain, stick to the road well, and have an agressive look.
They weight alot I lots 3mpg the instant I put them on "(

But it sounds like a heavier tire is what your wanting. Michelin will out last your car lol. We always went to Sam's Club w/ our SUV's and they were the last tires we bought. 75k plus!
GL

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 07-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Kumho makes a good decent priced tire with the ecsta. Michlen is always good, but high priced. Yokohama is good as well. Ive heard good things about the continental on this site, but have not had them myself.
Also like Big Mike said weight is very helpful as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Has anyone tried the Michelin PILOT EXALTO A/S tire?

We def. need an A/S tire, as we live near Seattle so contend with lots of rain and occasional snow. My hubby is very keen on Michelins

Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by tiggilee

We def. need an A/S tire, as we live near Seattle so contend with lots of rain and occasional snow. My hubby is very keen on Michelins
Dont know about the michelins but i have heard good things about the dunlop direzza dz101. its Z rated and has a REALLY wide steel belt under the tread so it gets great traction. they are a directional tread design so idunno what the snow traction will be like. wet traction is great tho

Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
I understand him being very keen on michelins, but when we bought our Fit the dealer had installed a set of Riken Raptor's. I did a little research with a local tire dealer and have been impressed. They stick good in the rain and snow (which we get occasionally in the south!) and seem to be wearing well. I've put nearly 30k on them and they seem to be wearing well, though I have upped the tire pressure to help with wear and mileage. Overall a good tire.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I just got an 07 fit sport and have been researching new tires for a couple days. I am also interested more in utility, longevity and mpg than perfect handling.
I think i've decided on the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. The other possible choice for this size is Yokohama AVID ENVigor.

If you are interested in a slightly different size that will likely increase your MPG 185/60/15 is only 1.2% larger diameter.

If I decide on this size, I will get Kumho eco Solus HM KR22. These supposedly last forever and get great fuel mileage. Continental ProContact with EcoPlus Technology also look like a pretty good choice in this size.

tirebuyer.com looks like it has free shipping to some destinations, and tirerack.com has lots of good information.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I am running 205/50/15 Falken Ziex ZE512 on my 07 sport with skunk 2 springs. They were right around $300 installed at discount tire and I love them. They ride and handle well and don't make excessive road noise. As far as longevity its too soon to tell. But i'm happy with the choice.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Grilledcheese, how well do the ZE512's stick? I've been using Falken RT615's on my Fit every summer since I've owned it, but I burn through a set every two seasons. I could use a longer-lasting tire, but I love the steering response and stickiness of the RT615's a lot.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by coupdetat
Hey Grilledcheese, how well do the ZE512's stick? I've been using Falken RT615's on my Fit every summer since I've owned it, but I burn through a set every two seasons. I could use a longer-lasting tire, but I love the steering response and stickiness of the RT615's a lot.
They stick quite well for an all season (M+S) tire. They will be no where near the grip of an RT615 but for the money, they are really a nice mid grade tire. Plus you would get much more life out of them. My car is a daily driver only so I don't really push it too hard but when I do these have performed well for me so far.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
I put 4 Goodyear Eagle GTs on my Fit in November. I LOVE THEM!

They were great in snow over the winter, and so far this Spring, they are great in the rain.

My MPGs have stayed about the same. I would def recommend them!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tiggilee

I'm a tech at an independant shop, and i can't tell you how many cars i've put those tires on. For a "cheaper" Michelin it's actually a great tire. I don't see the point of putting a "summer" tire such as a Dunlop DZ101 or Falken 512 for what you're using them for. Michelins tend to have great tread life, low noise, and their warranty claims are much easier to deal with if you have a defective tire (it does happen). I'd say your best bet is the Michelins, as you may not be satisfied with some other tires mentioned on other posts.

Cheers,
The BOM

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by debudebu
I think i've decided on the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.
Just put these tires on the car last week - so far so good. I've always had good luck with Kuhmos on my other cars. No need to spend big bucks on Michelin unless you're really hooked on them.

My $.02, good luck!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Replacing stock

Today I purchased four 195/55R-15 85V Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires to replace the stock Dunlops which came with my 2008 Honda Fit Sport - my odometer reads 36600, I bought the car new almost exactly 3 years ago. The Dunlops had a little ways to go, but discount Tire was running a $100 rebate promotion that ends tomorrow. I purchased them for $86 each.

I had intended to purchase H-rated tires, but the only ones in stock were some Yokohamas which got bad reviews.

Most days I drive less than 20 miles.
A few 200-300 mile road trips per year.

Driving home I noticed improved handling on turns, and better feel over rough terrain. I will return to post how things go after a few rotations.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by dled1286
Dont know about the michelins but i have heard good things about the dunlop direzza dz101. its Z rated and has a REALLY wide steel belt under the tread so it gets great traction. they are a directional tread design so idunno what the snow traction will be like. wet traction is great tho
snow and ice not many tire fair to well unless you get studded tires in certain ereas

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
I just put a set of Nexen N3000 (205/45/16) on a set of new rims. They have great grip and are super quiet and the treadwear rating on them is great. I have a buddy who recommended them to me and he loves them. They were really cheap as well. Can't go wrong with that.

I had RT-615's on my Fit before and they were great in the summer for traction but they melted like butter in the summer heat and only lasted a few seasons. More of a track tire than a daily driver.

I've run on Dunlop DZ101 tires as well and they're great too but they don't last very long and are quite soft so you can feel the tires roll on the edges during spirited driving.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
I have 205-55-15 Fuzion ZRI tires, excellent handling wet and Dry, road noise not too bad ( not worst than the factory tires) since they are bigger, and wider performance and MPG does suffer a little. but the ride is better, the handling feel lots more serious. and my cars is glued to the road. i love them!