General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tire suggestions - quieter tire / ride for 2008 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Tire suggestions - quieter tire / ride for 2008 Sport

There are only two things I do not like about my 2008 Honda Fit Sport - 1. No arm rest and 2. it is NOISY.

I'm due for new tires, can someone suggest a quieter tire? And something I might be able to get at a local tire shop... I'm not really interested in mail ordering tires.

I'm not overly stressed about fuel efficiency, and I'm not a handling fanatic. On an average week, I only drive it 12 - 15 miles daily. But when I do take a road trip, I really would love for the car to be a bit less noisy.

BTW, I'm in North Carolina and am not really worried about snow as I have a truck with 4wd that I can use (for whatever good this info might be).

Thanks!

Last edited by Kaye Barnes; 01-06-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Low rolling resistance tires are fuel efficient and probably make less noise. I haven't tried them but its my guess at what you want.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Kaye: I'm not sure what you mean by a local tire shop, so I'll assume a national chain, and not a Costco.
I would ask that you think about reconsidering your position on buying through the internet. It simply is the best way to go these days. Do your research on Tire Rack and then buy from one of 7 or so big name tire sites. They will ship them directly to whichever local tire shop you want to use to mount and balance the tires. Or they will send them to your house; your choice. You can even have them sent to your favorite mechanic if you have a relationship with one. Tire Rack will be your best guide in determining which tire is quiet enough for you, at a price you can afford. Once you do some research there, you will see that there are a LOT of junk tires on the market, with very few outstanding ones. I would not roll the dice and simply pick out something that your "local" tire shop happened to carry, when online tire shopping is so convenient.
As for specific tire recommendation, as always, Michelin are the quietest tires on the market, hands down, and they also provide a cushiony ride. However, I am still not convinced they are worth their hefty price tag. I ride with the Michelin MXV4s. A great tire, but too much money over the long run. As such, I have been recommending (and will likely buy once Tire Rack does their winter test) the Kumho PA31. It is a directional tire which should give you less noise on the road. The summer tests on the tire were very impressive, and the sipe pattern on the tread appears to favor light snow driving as well. I'm just waiting for the experts at Tire Rack to let me know if the PA31's tread pattern is as good in light snow as they appear. On my Fit, I have Kumho LX Platinums and have liked them, especially for the price point.

Last edited by BurntZ; 01-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.