1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

CD button no longer works

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
CD button no longer works

Hey guys,

So a couple weeks ago I noticed my CD button on my stock deck would stick. I would have to press it really hard to have the radio turn over to the CD. Now when I hit the CD button it doesn't even go to the cd. The only way to play the disc is to eject it, and then put it back in as it'll automatically load.

Any suggestions? Wouldn't mind a quick fix of some sort. Weird issue. I know.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM
You could try spraying some IPA in there and then blowing it out with canned air. You should be able to buy both cans at Fry's or similar. Contact may just be dirty or something. Worth a shot before you start taking everything apart. Even after spraying with air let it dry for a little bit before powering on.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
What is IPA exactly? Never heard of this.

I assume I could get it at Canadian tire or part source. Not in US so Fry's is foreign to me lol.

Would canned air just work? Don't know what IPA is and if it's really required.

Assuming I would spray this stuff through the cracks around the button.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Isopropyl alcohol. Can usually get at electronics stores. Try to get the pure kind for electronics, it doesn't leave residue. You could try the canned air first and if that doesn't work try the IPA, it's good at breaking up dust and gunk that can accumulate on contacts and the canned air blows it off if you can't reach it to scrub it (like in your case).

You may be able to remove the button, i'm not sure since I don't have a GD to look at. If you can do that clean button and contact with the alcohol and scrub it off with a cotton swab.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
Ah rubbing alcohol. Lol. Didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Okay listen to this, today on my way home I was playing with it and realized two things.

1. You hit th cd button closer to the left it works fine.

2. Hit it in th centre or to the right of the button, it does not lol.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
contacts are dirty. try wanderer's method.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'm losing my #3 radio selector button. Same sort of thing as the OP.

How do you remove the button to clean under it? What exactly is under the plastic button? Metal contacts? I thought there was a rubber pad/cover...?

Also, the IPA spray, that's not pressurized, is it?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I suggest using the IPA before ripping off buttons. My CD button is slowly working without doing anything. I believe it is a contact issue do to dust. First try everything suggest before ripping buttons off. That's my opinion.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Kind of like a WD40 can type deal with the red tube attachment.

I have no idea what it looks like behind the button. I would assume the contacts are behind some sort of rubber pad, so the spray may not even work, but it's not going to hurt anything. The canned air may work.

Removing the button and cleaning is the best option, but not sure how hard it is to do or how to do it, above suggestion is just a first try without taking anything apart.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Marrk
I'm losing my #3 radio selector button. Same sort of thing as the OP.

How do you remove the button to clean under it? What exactly is under the plastic button? Metal contacts? I thought there was a rubber pad/cover...?

Also, the IPA spray, that's not pressurized, is it?

Thanks.

If you do decided to and figure out how to remove buttons, please post pic/link.

I know more people may have this issue down the road. Damn dust and smoking in the car for 7 years ahaha.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Removing the buttons would require you to take out the entire radio from the dash and the removing the cover from the radio itself, there's a how to floating around here last time when 1 of the members wanted to change the colors of the dash to orange or something. Check the ICE threads

Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. That seems like a lot of work removing the radio that's for sure.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
it definitely is which is why i would recommend wanderer's method.

here is the thread for the lazy's, but the beginning part isn't in there. Though im pretty sure just from seeing on how much work it'll take should persuade you guys from trying the hard method first
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...io-colour.html

Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting that link. I would have done a search but I'm not even at that stage yet. Not even sure I wanna ripe everything out lol. Too much work just looking at that thread. My button works, but must be pressed on certain locations of the button lol.

I'm going to get some air in a can. Same stuff you would use to clean your computer or your keyboard. Hopefully that will work since my button does work, only on certain spots. I don't have a total block. If that doesn't fix the issue I will either live with pressing the button a specific way, or legitimately rip out the radio haha. Not something I look forward to doing though.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know how air is going to get behind those radio buttons. It will be interesting to see if this works out.