1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Wheel lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Wheel lugnuts

Hi everyone,

MY girlfriend has a Jazz/Fit GD9 model with Wheel trims but, we're planning to add some aftermarket wheels (came from a EG6 Civic). Also, we're planning to change the lugnuts with some black ones.

Which type of lugnuts do i need to search and where to buy some quality and cheap ones.

Waiting for your replies at which i'll thank in advance.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Your choice of lug nuts depends on the design of the wheels.

Ask where you propose to buy the wheels, or at the manufacturer/distributor.

Just guessing, but if the Civic wheels are from Honda, you probably don't need to buy new lug nuts. Probably.

If aftermarket, see what lug nuts were fitted on the Civic (assuming there are no issues).

Old 01-24-2017, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
It does of course depend on the wheels you fit. Honda uses a spherical rather than a tapered seat for their wheels and nuts. Pretty much all other makers (unless they use a bolt) use nuts with a 60 degree tapered seat. As for third party wheel makers, I have no idea but an inspection should confirm.

There are 45 degree taper nuts in existence but they are almost always for racing applications.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 AM
I always run OEM conical lug nuts on any corresponding OEM wheel I use. Spoon sports and maybe some other brands do make an aftermarket "style" looking lug nut with locks that is conical.

For aftermarket wheels you never want to use OEM as they do not seat properly. You need to use tapered aftermarket lug nuts for aftermarket wheels ALWAYS. I also advise running at least a medium grade (muteki etc) lug nuts as cheap eBay ones are just that, cheap.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tafetta_Freak
I always run OEM conical lug nuts on any corresponding OEM wheel I use. Spoon sports and maybe some other brands do make an aftermarket "style" looking lug nut with locks that is conical.

For aftermarket wheels you never want to use OEM as they do not seat properly. You need to use tapered aftermarket lug nuts for aftermarket wheels ALWAYS. I also advise running at least a medium grade (muteki etc) lug nuts as cheap eBay ones are just that, cheap.
I don't think this is good advice.

It does not matter whether the wheels are aftermarket; there is no "never" or "ALWAYS" for aftermarket wheels. You need to use the correct diameter and thread size to match the lugs, and you need to use the correct conical or spherical shape to match the wheel design.

There is no universal shape that works correctly with all aftermarket wheels. Consult the wheel manufacture (or well-informed dealer) to determine the lugnut shape; not any "universal rule", which is likely to be wrong in some cases.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Due to owning over 20 Hondas and countless sets of wheels in all my years of Hondas, and what I stated always being the case, I figured it was sound advice. But what do I know.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Every aftermarket wheel that I've used from VMR and Hartmann has used spherical (aka ball-seat) lug nuts. Maybe those are among the brands that you haven't used.

Last edited by Buck Fitty; 01-31-2017 at 09:43 PM.