2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Hydroshield worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Exclamation Hydroshield worth it?

I just got my Injen CAI installed but as I was looking through the manual it mentioned the hydroshield. I was wondering if it was any good? I've ordered one but now I'm hesitating on installing it on. Injen says the material is breathable. Anyone have a hydroshield for their CAI? Do you notice any power loss or anything?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 AM
it wont hurt power

The holes are large enough for air to pass, but small enough to block majority of water

The idea is if someone throws a bucket of water at it, it will be fine, but SUBMERGED in water, it will still screw up

Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Hmm okay, I'm just curious if people are just thinking psychologically that it's reducing power and less sound from intake.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
It want change squat as far as "power."

On your GE, the intake is truly just an addittion that make more noise sadly. That ECU is WAY too smart and will adjust for the increase in flow picked up by the "MAF" and a mountain of other sensors.

It will help if you regularly drive through standing water puddles that are more than 6" deep... Or have removed a fog light and have a direct conduit for water to go to your intake like I do on my GD. Luckily it doesn't rain much here and I can cover the opening when needed.

PS: I have 75K+ on a "CAI" and never had an issue with hydro lock. I avoid puddles on the drivers side... but they would need to be at least 6-8" deep to be a problem.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Hmm okay. I rarely drive into puddles and rain isn't that high here in San Diego. But it helps keep the filter from getting dirty right? Still some protection?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Can't hurt.

You should get a spray bottle of the K&N dry flow filter cleaner and clean your filter at least with every oil change regardless.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Cool, will do! Thanks.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Take your average 2.5 inch cone filter and cover HALF of it up, you wont see a performance difference.

The GE8's MAF tube is 2inch diamter, give or take a tiny bit. The panel filter honda gave it is large so that it can go long periods of time between changes. Im at 12k miles nearly and the filter is still pretty darn clean. Yeah, its grayed over somewhat, but I can still blow from the otherside and feel it just fine on my hand

Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I installed the hydroshield. I've seen absolutely no reduction in air flow or power with it. It's extremely thin compared to what I was expecting. I threw some water on it when I got it and it held it like a champ. The peace of mind was enough for me to pick one up.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Cool, I just got mine installed.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Just make sure you guys are aware its simply a SPLASH damage prevention device. Not a submersion damage preventor!

Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Yeah I know, it doesn't rain here much but I guess I'll use it for less dirt to get onto filter haha.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 AM
problem with that is if it filters dirt then you now have less surface area to filter dirt before it is clogged and in need of a cleaning... luckily these cars make no power and wont really care. lol.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 PM
you are mistaken/wrong

You think the filter is pleated for looks? Its to increase surface area and increase potential flow and filtering rate.

You can use your hand to cover half the filter up and the car wont care.

Keep in mind as the engine size and performance is increased, the factory filter grows in size to accommodate. So this effect increases as needed

Old 05-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
you are mistaken/wrong

You think the filter is pleated for looks? Its to increase surface area and increase potential flow and filtering rate.

You can use your hand to cover half the filter up and the car wont care.

Keep in mind as the engine size and performance is increased, the factory filter grows in size to accommodate. So this effect increases as needed
the hydroshield doesn't look pleated to me.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Huy Bui
problem with that is if it filters dirt then you now have less surface area to filter dirt before it is clogged and in need of a cleaning... luckily these cars make no power and wont really care. lol.
Huy Bui.... You know Kenny don't you? He told me you just got a new fit.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Huy Bui
the hydroshield doesn't look pleated to me.
I specifically said FILTER

not hydroshield.

I am simply saying why a hydroshield doesnt effect filter performance

The pleats in the FILTER is what allows something like a hydroshield to perform its duty without effecting WHAT its protecting.

Lil off topic, but if you were to cut open several different oil filters, you would see a trend of higher oil pressure that follows the filter media having more surface area.

It does double duty as a service life-extender. Where there is more material to be used, a longer service life will exist.

Im just glad car manufacturers dont remove this type of thing to make owners have to do services more often. Im kinda surprised oil companies havent forced smaller filter media in their filter canisters to generate more money from more frequent changes

Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Huy Bui.... You know Kenny don't you? He told me you just got a new fit.
yup i know Kenny.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
I specifically said FILTER

not hydroshield.

I am simply saying why a hydroshield doesnt effect filter performance

The pleats in the FILTER is what allows something like a hydroshield to perform its duty without effecting WHAT its protecting.

Lil off topic, but if you were to cut open several different oil filters, you would see a trend of higher oil pressure that follows the filter media having more surface area.

It does double duty as a service life-extender. Where there is more material to be used, a longer service life will exist.

Im just glad car manufacturers dont remove this type of thing to make owners have to do services more often. Im kinda surprised oil companies havent forced smaller filter media in their filter canisters to generate more money from more frequent changes
it doesn't matter how many pleats the underlying filter has, you put a plastic bag over it and it will prevent air geting in. if it acts like a air filter, then this will effectively be what happens over time when dirt is trapped in all its holes.