2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Nearly-total audio install on 2009 SSM Sport M/T

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Nearly-total audio install on 2009 SSM Sport M/T

Sorry, no pictures. There's nothing to see other than the head unit and the sub box. Everything else looks dead stock and the amp is hidden under the passenger seat.

Hardware:

Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD head unit
Hertz HSK 165 components
JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (8W3v3 in JL-built ported slim box)
JL Audio XD700/5 amplifier

Pretty straightforward. The Hertz components are in the factory locations hidden behind the factory grill covers. To someone peeking in through the windows, it would appear to be a dead-stock Sport audio system. The double-din head unit requires a dash kit. It is clearly an aftermarket head unit, but to the casual observer it might appear as the Sport w/Navi option. I guess it depends on how closely you look at it. The sub is lying in the back hatch, speaker-up and with the port firing towards the hatch. The four channels on the amp are bridged into two channels and are driving 200w each to the left and right front Hertz components. The dedicated sub channel is driving 300w to the 8W3. The rear door speakers were left stock and are being driven off of the head unit for rear fill. I don't know exactly how the crossovers are set on the amp, but I want to say that the Hertz comps are cut off at around 70-80hz with a 24db slope and the JL sub is cutoff to 70hz and lower with a 24db slope. I might be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure he said something around 70-80 for each with 24db slopes on each. I have played with the equalizer on the head unit to get things sounding the way I want them to sound. I am not a basshead, and I am not the least bit concerned or interested in SPL. I don't give a single crap about how loud the sub can play. I'm looking for, above everything else, fidelity. The 8W3 is more than loud enough for my tastes, and I currently have it set to -9 on the head unit, which is a good setting where it blends in very cleanly with the components. Overall, I'm very pleased. While this is not a perfect setup, it is miles and miles ahead of the factory system.

The one thing I plan on changing out soon is the sub. While the ported 8W3 will play loud enough and low enough, it just doesn't have the clarity and articulation that I'm looking for in the bass regions. I want something tighter. I've already spoken with the shop. Here in the next month or so I'll have them build a sealed box with a single JL 8W7 powered off the same 300w that I'm running right now. Should be way better for SQ, and the 8W7 (as opposed to the 10W7) will be a drop-in replacement for the 8W3 I have currently. I won't have to change out or add amplifiers.

Overall, badass sound system. Probably not enough bump for the average car audio fan, but then that's not what I'm looking for. I'll update this again when I finally get the 8W7 installed.

EDIT: Forgot to add, while the present sub and future sub are not exactly hidden, I also plan on buying the hatch privacy deck from Honda. I think I can get it from Amazon and other etailers and install it myself. That should keep the sub away from prying eyes and the only thing people wiill see when they look into my tinted windows is a different head unit, nothing more.

Last edited by Artisan; 02-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Too much to read and no pictures.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 AM
What do you want to see? It's a stealth install, dude, and I didn't do the work. If you want to see how it looks, go to Honda's website and look at the interior of the Fit Sport. That's what it looks like, but with a different head unit.

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver: Electronics

Imagine that in the dash.

JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subwoofer systems

Imagine that laying on the floor of the hatch on the driver's side.

That's it. That's what it looks like. Don't know what else you want to see.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Progression of the install as it happens can be as informative and eye appealing as seeing something that is custom and shows every component. Just sayin!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
Really like that sub!