Fit FREAK.net

Go Back   Unofficial Honda FIT Forums > The Honda Fit and Jazz Forums > 2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Welcome to Fit Freak!
Welcome to Fit Freak,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM

quick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to live
Oil Filter Washer?

I was just wondering why Honda puts a washer with their stock oil filters?

Can someone please explain.
Sponsored Links
Registered users do not see this ad.
Click here to register for free!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member

it's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to liveit's pronounced iVTEC relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level up: 84%, 16 Points needed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Daily Activity: 3.7%
Daily Activity: 3.7% Daily Activity: 3.7% Daily Activity: 3.7%
it's a crush washer, the washer helps seal the drain hole
Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member

doctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to livedoctordoom relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 4,597, Level: 43 Points: 4,597, Level: 43 Points: 4,597, Level: 43
Level up: 24%, 153 Points needed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Daily Activity: 9.3%
Daily Activity: 9.3% Daily Activity: 9.3% Daily Activity: 9.3%
i think you meant a washer with the oil drain bolt, not filter.

i'm not 100% sure but i think it helps seal it like he said, so that you can torque down the bolt without potentially damaging the threads on the actual drain hole. you can get away with re-using the same one just fine (versus replacing it at every oil change). that's what i personally do at least. if you see that it is leaking, then change the washer, but that has never happened to me yet from my personal experience with this and other hondas/acuras.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:49 PM

bkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to livebkrell relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,030, Level: 17 Points: 1,030, Level: 17 Points: 1,030, Level: 17
Level up: 30%, 70 Points needed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Daily Activity: 0%
Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0% Daily Activity: 0%
Yeah, if you mean crush washers for the oil drain, they are to prevent over tightening and they also DO help seal a bit more. I reuse the washers on my CR-V until they weep then replace them and problem solved.

If you DO mean filters, all filters have rubber GASKETS to seal them in place when tightened. Without a good seal, you can be in BIG trouble. Being a Gen II CR-V owner, I was in a state of panic when CR-Vs started torching due to leaks from the oil filter. Turns out Honda was installing them dry at the factory (not rubbing the gasket with oil, as you should when you install a new filter) and they were seperating from the filter and sticking to the engine. When a new filter was installed, there was a leak because the surface where the new filter met the old gasket wasn't a good seal. Resulting oil sprayed right onto the catalytic converter and caused a raging inferno in short order. Honda escaped real blame, saying that in event of gasket seperation from the filter, it was the responsibility of the person changing the oil to ensure the gasket was removed.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM

quick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to livequick92ciFit relies on Rep Points to live
I was actually wondering about the oil filter. All good info guys. Thanks!
Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

Virtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to liveVirtual relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 1,180, Level: 18 Points: 1,180, Level: 18 Points: 1,180, Level: 18
Level up: 80%, 20 Points needed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
I noticed that local dealers now sell the filter with the copper washer included.

I always replace the drain plug washer at each oil change and I use a torque wrench to be sure of proper tightness. I think it's worth the extra precaution.

The rubber seal on the filter gets a coat of oil and I firmly tighten it by hand with a rag wrapped around it. I've never had any leaks doing it that way and it's easy to undo with the proper filter wrench when the time comes for the next oil change.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

Olyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to liveOlyar15 relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 804, Level: 15 Points: 804, Level: 15 Points: 804, Level: 15
Level up: 4%, 96 Points needed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick92ciFit View Post
I was just wondering why Honda puts a washer with their stock oil filters?

Can someone please explain.
Simple. They are assuming that if you are replacing the oil filter, you are also most likely changing the oil. Since you are supposed to change the crush washer on the oil pan bolt, they include the washer with the filter. That way neither the dealership nor you will forget to replace it.
'04 black NSX
Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

kenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to livekenchan relies on Rep Points to live
Points: 16,639, Level: 82 Points: 16,639, Level: 82 Points: 16,639, Level: 82
Level up: 58%, 211 Points needed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Daily Activity: 34.9%
Daily Activity: 34.9% Daily Activity: 34.9% Daily Activity: 34.9%
i like how honda uses a generic washer as their crush washer for the plug...unlike my other with those special copper washers that actually crush.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:55 PM