2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost 3 Years, 33k miles, Goodbye GE8

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Photos, 2012 Civic Si sedan with navi, Polished Metal...
Nice shots... Ah that new car smell (sniff... sniff...) Well I guess you won't be making any Home Depot trips for sand bags, fertilizers and patio paver blocks or carrying recliners with that thing... And the navi will compensate for all the gas you burn on the Fit finding your way around... heheh... (jk) Enjoy!

Last edited by Subie; 08-20-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Congrats!

What was the OTD price for the Si?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 PM
neteng101 we really appreciate you taking the time to review despite your moving off from the FIT.

Hope you will enjoy your new ride.... you never know... if Honda is able to revamp the FIT in newer models a couple of years down the road to provide the features you are looking for... you may move back to the FIT?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GGPJON
What was the OTD price for the Si?
There was $600+ of add-ons over MSRP on it (paint sealant/wheel locks) since they put it out on the showroom floor before I got there, but with the trade-in value I got for the Fit, it made enough sense to go forward given the scarcity of the Si currently. They threw in all season mats too. Also got the 1.9% AHMC financing/36 months special going on currently. About $420/month and 0 out of pocket, just the trade-in. Fit was all paid for (bought it outright) but didn't make sense to tie up money when the financing rate was low for the Si.

I had gotten a $10k quote on the trade-in from a different dealer previously! $12k is in the ballpark of what I was looking for... given some slight blemishes... scrape on one side of front bumper and a door ding, neither of which I'm responsible for causing, stuff happens. And the tires really were getting close to a point I would have replaced them, but I guess it was within enough spec for them to sell as a certified used car.

I do think there's a market for a true sport Fit (not the Fit Sport which is mostly just a sport in branding), not sure what engine Honda should use, K20 might be a tad heavy, maybe a 1.5/1.6L turbo might work... something with about 140-160hp, 6MT, and a more sophisticated suspension setup, thought I really doubt they'd do this (given the CR-Z is still stuck with same basic suspension design). A cheaper, more practical, alternative to a Cooper S!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
There was $600+ of add-ons over MSRP on it (paint sealant/wheel locks) since they put it out on the showroom floor before I got there, but with the trade-in value I got for the Fit, it made enough sense to go forward given the scarcity of the Si currently. They threw in all season mats too. Also got the 1.9% AHMC financing/36 months special going on currently. About $420/month and 0 out of pocket, just the trade-in. Fit was all paid for (bought it outright) but didn't make sense to tie up money when the financing rate was low for the Si.

I had gotten a $10k quote on the trade-in from a different dealer previously! $12k is in the ballpark of what I was looking for... given some slight blemishes... scrape on one side of front bumper and a door ding, neither of which I'm responsible for causing, stuff happens. And the tires really were getting close to a point I would have replaced them, but I guess it was within enough spec for them to sell as a certified used car.

I do think there's a market for a true sport Fit (not the Fit Sport which is mostly just a sport in branding), not sure what engine Honda should use, K20 might be a tad heavy, maybe a 1.5/1.6L turbo might work... something with about 140-160hp, 6MT, and a more sophisticated suspension setup, thought I really doubt they'd do this (given the CR-Z is still stuck with same basic suspension design). A cheaper, more practical, alternative to a Cooper S!
My thought for an upgraded "sport" fit would be to upgrade to calipers in the rear, put an R18 with maybe some upgraded internals/better breathing for around 150hp. It would still be economical at the pump but would give a little more "grunt". I could see the L15 turbo'd but the'd have to put it in the CR-Z as well. I think a transplant of the R18 would be easier than a turbo'd L15.

Either way, as long as the price is right, It would catch my attention (and I'm sure a few others as well.)

~SB

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
... upgrade to calipers in the rear, put an R18 with maybe some upgraded internals/better breathing for around 150hp.
Have to admit I'm not familiar with the tuning potential of the R18. Would it be anything like the good old B18s that people did all kinds of stuff to? Doesn't seem like Honda ever intended the R18 to be a performance engine but it might still be good enough to give the Fit a bit of extra sportiness.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Have to admit I'm not familiar with the tuning potential of the R18. Would it be anything like the good old B18s that people did all kinds of stuff to? Doesn't seem like Honda ever intended the R18 to be a performance engine but it might still be good enough to give the Fit a bit of extra sportiness.
Nothing like the old B18's. I still miss my B18C1...

but...

I'm sure Honda could squeeze another 5-10hp out of the R18. and with it likely being not much heavier than the Fit's L15, it would bump out the Power/weight ratio closer to the last Gen Civic Si. The 2011 Si was 15lbs/hp and the fit is currently at 21lbs/hp. Putting an R18 in it with it's stock 140 hp would bump that to probably around 18lbs/hp. Good exhaust and intake bump would make that around 17lbs/hp in a car that weighs about 500lbs less than a Civic si. The New Si Sedan is a 14.4

~SB

Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Putting an R18 in it with it's stock 140 hp would bump that to probably around 18lbs/hp. Good exhaust and intake bump would make that around 17lbs/hp in a car that weighs about 500lbs less than a Civic si.
Could work if the tried - and I bet it would get pretty good fuel economy too. Honda seems to be making decent attempts with intakes too - the plastic air scoop on the Fit hood, and the new Si has what seems to be a cold air intake of sorts... saw it when I pulled the bumper to install a DIY lower grille again but can't figure out exactly how the whole thing works. And they certainly got a nice exhaust note too.

Not sure if you saw the news though, but they're building a plant in Mexico for small car production ie. the Fit, to start in 2014. That I'm not sure is a good move... I had a 2007 Accord too before the Fit, built in the US... could see a different compared to the Fit, some more hidden body areas showed paint application sloppiness. Have no idea how Mexico will go for Fit production.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Our Ridgeline was built in N/A and we've had practically no issues. The fit & Finish is great and it's been incredible for family trips, hauling/towing, etc... If the Fit is moving into a new plant, that means all new equipment and little that's been recommissioned from other projects. Chances are you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a N/A fit vs a Japan built fit. As long as they stick with Honda's Specs on tolerances when building the systems, I highly doubt there will be any drop in quality.

~SB

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I and my wife love her Fit. '09 Sport Taffeta auto. After changing tires to Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S @ 205/50-16 The car runs on rails and the cross winds don't have near the effect that it had with the crummy Bridgerock Baldy's. Those oem's were crap when new. Tread depth and design sucked. One was out of round and couldn't be balanced. The noise level went way down after switching the tires. I do agree with a lot of the negatives though: paddle shifter's not holding in gear but that has probably kept a few from blowing the tranny. I used 'em mostly to gear down.
Sometimes I wish it were 4x4 and more ground clearance but then it wouldn't be a Fit. I had an '05 Element but it had too many character flaws (engineering design). Hate clamshell doors and the fuel mileage sucks on 'em. If it had been a turbo diesel I'd still own it. The all wheel system.... well shoulda' been a true 4x4.
I digress. Good luck with the Civic Si! phasfit