2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use a car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Do you use a car cover?

My parking spot at work is on the top of a parking garage, and I'm pondering getting a car cover for it. I have no clue if those are hard to get on and off, or if I really feel like spending the money on one. I'm also not really certain if the sun can even fade new paint like it did on older cars. Any thoughts?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
well, my first thought is from a crime perspective; I don't recommend them. If you happen to live or work in a less than ideal location, someone could hide in your car. More likely is that if you used the car cover in a less than desirable location, you become predictable to those less desirable people, and when you are not paying attention, you can get into a bad situation. For safety, it is always best to get into your car as fast as possible. Moreover, I'm not sure I would want a car cover with 6 inches of snow on it, or after a heavy rainfall. What do you do with the cover? Stuff it all dripping wet into your car? Car covers are mainly for storing cars, not for daily drivers. If they were for daily drivers, you'd see more of them out there being used.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Its a secured parking garage, so I'm not worried about the safety of it at all, but I did kinda wonder why other people didn't use car covers... and I thought about the rain thing, if its vinyl or something, water would mostly shake off. I'm not really itching to get one, but maybe it wouldn't be worth it.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Unless it's assigned parking and you have no choice but to park on the top level, why not just park one level down? I say a car cover is not worth the hassle unless you are leaving it parked outside for a prolonged period of time.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Its assigned, and I'll be there for the next full year. Granted, we have plenty of overcast days, but you know how it can be when you first get a car and actually like the paint job, lol

Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeltaBond
Its assigned, and I'll be there for the next full year. Granted, we have plenty of overcast days, but you know how it can be when you first get a car and actually like the paint job, lol
My Fit is far from my first car but yet one of my favorites so I know what you mean but you don't have anything to worry about when it comes to fading, etc...

Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Ah, ok. I thought I remember something about 'anti-fade or fade resistant' paint on my 2010 CR-V, so I figured the paint might on this one be very different from the old flat colors. But yeah, white would have been better for heat purposes, ha ha, but I don't regret my choice.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
I use one on my Miata when it is in storage I do see a few "Honda Fit" car covers for sale

Car Cover for Honda FIT

Honda Fit Sport Car Cover

COVERCRAFT custom CAR COVERS for HONDA Civic and Fit

Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmm, well that shows me a lot - I hadn't really priced them, but considering its basically a modified fitted sheet or a darn tarp, for $100-$300... maybe I'll pass. My real concern was fading paint, so if that's not much of an issues, I won't really worry about it unless I have to store it or something, which I don't plan on doing.

Or if I plan on parking regularly under a hackberry tree, ha ha.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Oh, and I wax regularly, at least once a month. I read another thread on here by someone in central Alabama who had fading on their red fit on the roof, and if folks in Arizona told him that they had avoided fading with just waxing, then this is probably a non-issue... unless parking under a hackberry tree.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Grats on the new Fit. Where in Nashville are you? With the amount of rain we've had lately, I've hardly seen the sun.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
I live on the edge of the county and park in the shade at home, but at work I am on top of a parking garage in the downtown area. I'm loving the rain, because I hate the summer like poison, but yeah, its been a little too muggy. Subtropics!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:35 PM
And, did you know there are 9 Nashvilles in the US?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Banned
The big problem with covers is they rub on the paint. Especially if you have your problem of outdoor parking. The wind moves them and if even if it's only slightly eventually they will leave marks in the paint.

If you are set on using one don't cheap out but by a good on that has some sort of "lining" that is soft material to help mitigate this problem.

Mine folds up real small maybe a lump about 6" x 1 foot

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Nah, I wasn't set on using one, just pondering a way to protect the paint, but now I know that wax does that, and new paints are better at resisting fade... yeah, I'll just save my money and enjoy looking at my car instead of covering it up. And that's good to know that they scratch the paint, ugh!