2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garbage door lock actuators

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
garbage door lock actuators

Love my 2009 Fit, hate the garbage door lock actuators. Last year the driver's lock went out and I paid to have it replaced. This week, the passenger and rear hatch locks both died the same death. That's three door lock actuators in 5 years. I guess I'll get ahead of the game and prepare for the two rear doors to go next...

Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Having different door locks go out isn't something I'd worry about... I mean in the same environment machines with similar nature would make sense to fail within similar time periods.

Now, if your replacement had failed, that would be a significant issue.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if anyone else has had a problem with their door lock actuators? I have an '09 with 115k on it and never had a problem with the actuators.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by patm95
I wonder if anyone else has had a problem with their door lock actuators? I have an '09 with 115k on it and never had a problem with the actuators.
My front passenger went out a while ago (last year?)... I attributed it to my mom constantly grabbing the handle just as I'm triggering the unlock on the fob.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Having different door locks go out isn't something I'd worry about...
I wouldn't really say I'm too worried about it, it's just something worth talking about in a forum. Also, I find it amusing that the first commenter on this thread to say it's not a big deal also had his go out.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamkitty
I wouldn't really say I'm too worried about it, it's just something worth talking about in a forum. Also, I find it amusing that the first commenter on this thread to say it's not a big deal also had his go out.
Well, considering I always use my fob which means all actuators get triggered while doing my deliveries (typically lock/unlock at each delivery too), six days a week, double that with auto-lock at 9 mph and the needed unlock to get out..... And only one out of five failed for me, it seems to point to "outside" influence... As opposed to faulty hardware.

And I'd think having a person that has experienced the issue say it's not a big deal, is more meaningful than someone that hasn't experienced it.

PS. I ordered and then replaced the actuator myself.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-04-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Also, I find it amusing that the first commenter on this thread to say it's not a big deal also had his go out.
Mine went out in a 1991 Accord I had. I'd also call it no big deal. Mechanical parts wear out. Some faster than others.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
60% failure rate (3 of 5 doors) is normal? You guys are super chill. Can I have some of that fanboy weed you're smoking?

Old 03-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Mine have been noisy from pretty early on and i'm honestly surprised none of them have gone out yet. Some cars eat window regulators, window motors, some cars eat door lock actuators. Annoying for sure, but yeah, it happens.

Goobers has a point, if they're all going out around the same time that makes sense, they're reaching their design limitations. Poor limitations maybe, but different than if just one failed and the rest kept chugging along for years, that would point to a faulty individual part.

IIRC a lot of people have had issues with these in the past and posted on here about it.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
60% failure rate (3 of 5 doors) is normal? You guys are super chill. Can I have some of that fanboy weed you're smoking?
Gotta love that "You're a fanboy" argument.

Nothing in this world is perfect... for those living in reality, we know that "shit happens," and it can happen for any number of reasons.

I don't know what kind of wear and tear you put on it, but if you and passengers constantly try to open the door as you are also triggering the unlock on the fob, it will fail much faster than normal (as its gears are fighting against the pulled handle and then completing the unlock)... and proportionally to how often it occurs to each one.

I had one fail almost two years ago... but like I said, I think it had to do with my mom doing exactly what I mentioned, as no other door has failed. And I now make it a point to tell people to hold on a second when I trigger the unlock.

Now, if you never have passengers and all three of those doors failed within 2-3 years of owning the car, then I'll say it's really messed up. Until then, I'll suspect yours failed because of additional wear and tear over the years by you and your passengers and mostly like catching the handle as its trying to unlock.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Mine just started to go on the drivers side front. Does anybody have a part number for the actuator so I can just fix myself? Thank you!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm not having any luck finding an online video on how to replace a hatchback actuator in a 2010 honda fit. Anybody seen one or have a link?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
My locks work flawlessly. They are mechanical.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
if you pull the door panel its pretty obvious how to swap the actuator.. haven't had to fiddle with mine ,, I'd guess < 20 minutes each after the first one, Id probably have more trouble popping the door panels off than the actual actuator..

Old 11-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Well, considering I always use my fob which means all actuators get triggered while doing my deliveries (typically lock/unlock at each delivery too), six days a week, double that with auto-lock at 9 mph and the needed unlock to get out..... And only one out of five failed for me, it seems to point to "outside" influence... As opposed to faulty hardware.

And I'd think having a person that has experienced the issue say it's not a big deal, is more meaningful than someone that hasn't experienced it.

where did you order your replacement actuator from and how much?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:38 AM
totally read this as the GE having a garbage door lock actuator. never heard of a car with garbage doors :P

Old 03-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Where did you order the part from? What year is your Fit? I have an 09 Fit and cant find any power lock actuators.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Funny that this came up in the thread again today. FWIW, All five of mine have been replaced once, and my replacement one on the driver's door is broken again and needs another replacement.

PS, took my rear seats out the first month I owned the car and never had anyone back there since. aka: its the parts, dummy.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:21 PM
WE need to face the facts people

Simple Truth is
Hondas is not a Toyota or KIA
You are not going to get the reliability these cars have NO WAY.
We found this out the hard way and now our hole US fleet 95% are Toyota's and KIA
Rick

Last edited by onevw; 01-24-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
my 09 with 198k miles are on their original door lock actuators. *knocks on wood. Original clutch, too