2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade in Fit for CR-V?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Trade in Fit for CR-V?

I am trying to decide whether to trade in my 2013 Fit Sport for a used CR-V. The Fit seems to have a good trade-in value and it seems I can get a used CR-V at a decent price.
My issues: I miss having AWD (I live in Maine), though the Fit has gotten somewhat better in the snow since replacing the original tires, so I may be able to survive without it.
The biggest reason I'm considering a trade-in is that my two kids are now older (elementary school) and it's starting to feel a little squeezed. They are both in boosters now, but even without the boosters, it's pretty tight in the backseat if we're driving a third kid home or a kid cousin is visiting. Or really, even with just the two of them and their backpacks.
I really HATE to give up the Fit, because it's been fun to drive, cheap to own and the gas mileage is good. However, I'm struggling somewhat with the space issue. I bought the Fit when I was commuting longer distances, but I'm now driving fewer miles. I realize the CR-V has lower gas mileage and increased maintenance costs though – both still negatives.
Has anyone traded in their Fit for a CR-V for similar reasons? Any arguments for/against it that I haven't considered?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Trade in Fit for CR-V?

I am trying to decide whether to trade in my 2013 Fit Sport for a used CR-V. The Fit seems to have a good trade-in value and it seems I can get a used CR-V at a decent price.
My issues: I miss having AWD (I live in Maine), though the Fit has gotten somewhat better in the snow since replacing the original tires, so I may be able to survive without it.
The biggest reason I'm considering a trade-in is that my two kids are now older (elementary school) and it's starting to feel a little squeezed. They are both in boosters now, but even without the boosters, it's pretty tight in the backseat if we're driving a third kid home or a kid cousin is visiting. Or really, even with just the two of them and their backpacks.
I really HATE to give up the Fit, because it's been fun to drive, cheap to own and the gas mileage is good. However, I'm struggling somewhat with the space issue. I bought the Fit when I was commuting longer distances, but I'm now driving fewer miles. I realize the CR-V has lower gas mileage and increased maintenance costs though – both still negatives.
Has anyone traded in their Fit for a CR-V for similar reasons? Any arguments for/against it that I haven't considered?

Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
we have one of each. The Fit is perfect for my own personal needs but I can't imagine routinely having multiple people in the car. We always take the CR-V if it is both of us in the car or if we are doing a road trip. Personally, in your case, I'd jump ship.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Your kids are only going to get bigger, and there's no way the Fit will do the same. And the CR-V doesn't have the Magic Seat.

You're right about the CR-V having more maintenance and lesser mpg, especially in AWD configuration.

You'll sit up a little higher in the CR-V. Whether that matters to you is personal preference. Some folks like the higher view, while for others it's a sign that your vehicle is more likely to roll in an emergency because the center of gravity is higher.

While the Fit retains its value well, so does the CR-V. So you'll probably have to kick in a considerable amount of cash to make the deal unless you get a high mileage one.

They don't make a HR-V in AWD, do they? That would be the inbetween vehicle that still retains the Magic Seat. But early reports suggest the HR-V is significantly underpowered. So I guess I'd suggest the CR-V if you want to stick with Honda.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Im going on child number 4 right now, wife is due in August. I do like the Fit and the relatively low cost of ownership that goes with it. I also needed more room and need to seat 6. So i kept the Fit and bought a supercrew 2003 F150 FX4 to do the winter duties and shuttle around the kids when my wifes vehicle is unavailable.

Just an option, i get to have fun with the Fit and now no longer have to worry about winter or being to cramped in the car.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Thank you - I have a feeling I may need to go bigger. I hate to give up the Fit, because it's a great car for ME, but I think we may do better as a family in the CR-V. I do realize we'll have to shell out some money in the exchange. The Fit is a much better bargain!
I did consider the HR-V, but given that it's built on the same frame as the Fit (at least that's my understanding?), it didn't seem like it would offer that much more room in the backseat. The AWD is a plus, though.
It's a tough decision - I wish Honda would make a great station wagon!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Also - I do have access to a bigger car (my mom's) for moving large furniture and such, so the Magic seats are less important overall, though I do love them and have used them!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Family Wagon, I can't swing the insurance on a 3rd car and don't have room to park one...but I was tempted by an old Volvo wagon listing the other day, primarily for winter.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Understandable. Like i said i like my fit, but who knows how long ill actually keep it. Now that i have the truck i really want another s2000

Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
I have both and personally would upgrade to the CR-V. It's more comfortable, especially during long trips. It also gets great mpg for a car that size. I average about 28 mpg combined.

Attached Thumbnails Trade in Fit for CR-V?-80-img_0480_08f5af701e0bd15fb6214eff65cf45a954d44440.jpg  

Last edited by kidari; 02-10-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM
I do like thr new CRV. We have the 2016 Pilot, rides great and good power also

Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Fit to CR-V

Let me just go ahead and say you you already know/feel inside. You've had your fun and now it no longer "Fits". Your kids are larger and feeling squeezed. Go ahead and get the CR-V, and don't look back...that is, unless you want to go new for an HR-V!! Just my $0.02 worth!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
merged thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 AM
Thank you -- can you tell I was hoping someone would talk me out of making the switch? I'm meeting with two dealers tomorrow to get trade-in estimates. We'll see how the numbers look before making a final call. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mainefitowner
how about an STI or WRX? those with the JF starting vin numbers are made in japan. if not the IS, im getting the STI this spring.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:14 AM
I am off Subaru after having a tough time with my last Outback. It just didn't hold up well, and I had head gasket issues with both. Love a wagon though!

Old 02-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mainefitowner
I am off Subaru after having a tough time with my last Outback. It just didn't hold up well, and I had head gasket issues with both. Love a wagon though!
i hear ya. i HATED my indiana built legacy i bought new for sure. warranty problems after problems.
luckily, the new WRX and STI are still made in japan. but yah, only sedans right now, no hatch.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Fit and my wife has the CRV and although the CRV ride is incredible, it simply isn't as enjoyable to drive (for me).

Old 02-15-2016, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Go for it! Time to get something bigger and better!!