2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is still driving their Fit in spite of recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Just now finding out about this recall on my '10 after coming across this thread!
Checked the VIN site and sure enough....

Still driving. Don't drive that much anyway so figure I'll keep going until they have a fix this summer.

Fortunately, the wife's 2013 Accord isn't part of the recall. That would be a totally different story...

Old 03-14-2016, 11:59 AM
I just bought my Honda Fit on Saturday at a used car dealership. They didn't mention the recall at all. I found out when I came home and joined the forums that evening.

Mine does apparently have the affected airbag, I live in a rainy/humid area (I guess that makes a difference) and it will be my daily driver.

I guess I need to make a visit to my nearest Honda shop.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ohnosquids
I just bought my Honda Fit on Saturday at a used car dealership. They didn't mention the recall at all. I found out when I came home and joined the forums that evening.

Mine does apparently have the affected airbag, I live in a rainy/humid area
(I guess that makes a difference) and it will be my daily driver.

I guess I need to make a visit to my nearest Honda shop.
It seems to me you would have every right to return the car for a full refund. They probably broke the law by selling a car that's under recall, and not disclosing that information.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
It seems to me you would have every right to return the car for a full refund. They probably broke the law by selling a car that's under recall, and not disclosing that information.
How Recalls Impact Used-Car Buyers - Consumer Reports

It appears that they did not break any laws. I'll be sure to remember this in the future and pass the information along to anyone I know in the market for a vehicle.

It would have been nice for a heads up right then and there. The car I bought certainly suits my needs and I would have wanted one regardless, it's just a little frustrating. I definitely appreciate the forums and am glad I joined right away. As long as Honda is being responsible about it all (sounds like they are for the most part) and I stay on top of my case it should be okay.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
For those of you who are continuing to drive your Fit, how do you mentally deal with the fact a minor fender bender could kill you?
For those of you who have gotten rentals, do any of you live in North Carolina? My insurance company (State Farm) will not insure consecutive rentals. I need to know if this is a state law or not. How are the rest of you handling this problem? In the meantime, I have an Altima for 21 days, and then...???
I was a little worried at first, but let's put things in perspective:

About 33,000 Americans die every year in traffic accidents according to Wikipedia.

In the last 10 years or so I think 8 people have died from faulty Takata airbags in Hondas.

I'm reading that Honda's market share is around 9% in the US. So if 9% of total fatal accidents in the US the last 10 years were in Hondas, then:

Appx. 29,692 people died in Hondas in accidents unrelated to a faulty Takata airbag

8 people died in Hondas in accidents related to the faulty airbag

So in other words, if you're in a fatal accident, the overwhelming odds are that it probably will not be because of a faulty exploding airbag. It will be because driving is honestly rather dangerous in general, as evidenced by the number of people who die each year in this country in otherwise 'safe' cars.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not a legal scholar, but what constitutes a consecutive rental?
What if you rent the car for 21 days, return it and do another 21 day contract leaving a day or two between? I don't see how that would be consecutive.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jeema
I was a little worried at first, but let's put things in perspective:

About 33,000 Americans die every year in traffic accidents according to Wikipedia.

In the last 10 years or so I think 8 people have died from faulty Takata airbags in Hondas.

I'm reading that Honda's market share is around 9% in the US. So if 9% of total fatal accidents in the US the last 10 years were in Hondas, then:

Appx. 29,692 people died in Hondas in accidents unrelated to a faulty Takata airbag

8 people died in Hondas in accidents related to the faulty airbag

So in other words, if you're in a fatal accident, the overwhelming odds are that it probably will not be because of a faulty exploding airbag. It will be because driving is honestly rather dangerous in general, as evidenced by the number of people who die each year in this country in otherwise 'safe' cars.
You forgot to factor in the number of people injured, not just deaths.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by string3599
I agree, I'm not thinking that I will be a fatality, but the likelihood of being SERIOUSLY injured by this defective airbag is what scares me. Don't want shrapnel to the face causing permanent damage such as blindness etc.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Fine. But you're asking me to shop on Amazon. I hate Amazon.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Well, I set the appointment for the fix. I will be taking mine in tomorrow morning. They told me the ETA is June. I hope I get a decent rental car.

Wish me luck

Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Any tips for getting the best rental vehicle possible?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b.grady
Any tips for getting the best rental vehicle possible?
Just voice your concerns to the service rep and/or rental adviser.

I mean "best" is relative and subjective to each person. I first was stuck with a Yaris because thats all they had. I told them that wouldn't fly due to me being a bit tall and the lack of trunk space. They said they will call back when other vehicles were available, which was about a week later and I had a choice of corolla or elantra. Ended up with the Elantra and will drive it for the 30 days and check back in. If it needs maintenance they will swap me out again. So far they have been real cool and I wouldn't be surprised if I asked to swap for another car they wouldn't care.

Some people are actually get Hondas because their dealer gives out loaners, most are referring people to rental companies that the dealer has a contract with. They will usually rent out an equal/equivalent vehicle. Considering our Fits fall under compacts more than likely you will get a compact. I have read of people getting accords/maximas or other larger vehicles but your experience may differ.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Ride or Die!

I will just wait until the parts become available. I figure people have been driving their fits since 09 with no issues, so what is 4 more months in my '13.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Ride or Die!

I will just wait until the parts become available. I figure people have been driving their fits since 09 with no issues, so what is 4 more months in my '13.
Some days I sure feel this way lol. Miss my Fit and driving manual.

Wonder what my dealer would think if I said F this rental I wanna drive my car lol.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Ride or Die!

I'm riding-or-dying too, but I must say that I'm not hearing as many complaints about the recall process and the rental process as I had expected to hear. Indeed, it sounds like Honda is handling this thing well.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Someday I'll get a postcard. When they've got a part on hand for me, I'll be in.

Quentin Hapsburg: Do you gamble?
Lt. Frank Drebin: Every time I order out.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by string3599
Yes, something like 80 or 100 people have been injured, but if you want to look at injuries, you have to compare apples-to-apples; the number of people injured in automobile accidents in the US each year is in the millions. 2.6 million each year from what I'm reading online.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by paul_g
I'm not a legal scholar, but what constitutes a consecutive rental?
What if you rent the car for 21 days, return it and do another 21 day contract leaving a day or two between? I don't see how that would be consecutive.
My plan is finally to leave a day in between. I have to rent the rental to Enterprise, rent from the dealer for a day, then return that rental and get another Enterprise car. It's a cluster, for sure.

Last edited by littleblackcar; 03-27-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, people get injured and killed in auto accidents all the time. The thing is, we are informed. We know about the airbag risk, and we have to be responsible with that knowledge. If you want to keep driving your Fit, go ahead. If I get in an accident and get injured or killed, I don't want it to be because of a faulty airbag that I was aware of. Also, as stated before, there are worse things than death. I wouldn't want to be blinded or paralyzed, especially in a stupid fender bender that otherwise would have inflicted no bodily harm at all.
I'm driving the rental. For now it's a Nissan Altima, which actually gets better gas mileage than my Fit, and is an all-round better car. Boring, yes, but the best option for now.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
One other thing to consider is the injuries caused by perfectly functioning air bags.. Blindness, broken neck, back injuries, collapsed lungs, etc.. It ain't all a party!