2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change on Used Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Oil Change on Used Car

First post. First world problem.

Bought this 2013 Fit used in July from the Honda Stealership. Satisfied with the vehicle overall. Today I was checking basic maintenance and noticed that it had a white oil filter. Investigating further I was disappointed that it indeed was not a Honda filter. They're still blue, right? They are still recommending a filter change with the oil change, yes?

It's not the filter per se that bothers me, it's that I bought the car from a dealership thinking the maintenance had been completed by them, and it obviously has not. It makes me wonder about what else they didn't do.

Am I right to be disappointed? I felt slimy enough buying from a dealership and now those feelings seem unfortunately vindicated.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just because its a dealer,, doesn't mean they only use branded products. Often the service dept has a separate "paper shop" that does the incoming used car processing and they are not the guys that service the dealers regular customers..

Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
The oil filter is white because it works.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'll contact them and see what they say. They installed a new muy expensivo Honda battery, but no Honda oil filter? Seems pretty chintzy.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
The oil filter is white because it works.
Is there a known issue with Honda oil filters?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah for those dat are too picky about something they shouldnt be on a ecnobox. just use the factory filter. datz all i used from 2007 when i had the GD, GE's, GK. no issue.

basically buying used cars is buying someone else's problem.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
I took my truck to my Nissan Dealer when it was within warranty and they use unmarked white filters too. They save a few bucks in expense and rightly figure that most owners will never know.

I'd keep your no-name filter in place and replace it with one you trust during your next oil change.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
I guess I have a question.
When you bought the vehicle from the Dealership did they communicate to you that the vehicle had been routinely and exclusively maintained at their dealership?

Otherwise, buying a used vehicle from a dealership NEVER guarantees that the vehicle has only had dealership service or OEM only parts.

If you are otherwise happy with the vehicle I wouldn't sweat it.
Because the white filter only tells you one thing. That the previous owner DID at least change the Oil and Filter.

On one level, all you can be responsible for is the vehicles maintenance and service going forward.
So I'd enjoy the vehicle and just start with YOUR new beginning.

Unless it was sold to you with the express communication that The Dealership had long standing records of being the primary location of it's maintenance? Then I'd just chalk it up to it is what it is.

You at least know that at some point the Oil and Filter was changed. But by whom? You may never know.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah for those dat are too picky about something they shouldnt be on a ecnobox.
I'm not picky about the filter at all. You know, you put down several thousands of dollars so they can pay for flashy building, free popcorn and bottled water, and one wants to know the oil was changed. Maybe they do use no name oil filters- I don't care as long as they changed it with the sale. I'll see what they say.

I didn't know dealerships cheap out like that, but I should have guessed. It was a slimy experience buying the car (told me there was no way I'd never be able to figure out how to fix it if it broke "it's so complicated! So many computers and sensors!" so I would have to buy the extended warranty.)

Like I said in the OP, I'm pretty happy with the car otherwise. It's an indestructible economy s-box and I'll drive it until one of us dies.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accolay
Is there a known issue with Honda oil filters?
No. It just reminded me of an "off color" joke.

But honestly, you are worrying about nothing. Color means zilch and I can guarantee you Honda does not manufacture the filters.

Would you be ok with an orange Fram filter?

Old 11-02-2016, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Again, I don't care about the filter, I care about the oil change and subsequent oil filter change. Was it done? Did they only change the oil and use the old filter? The world may never know.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
The dealerships quite often buy their supplies in bulk. Do you think they use Honda branded oil as well? Most likely not, but receive their oil from a bulk distributor.

How does the oil look on the dipstick? Is it dark black or light brown? If recently changed, the oil color should be a light brown in color. That would probably tell you more than what the oil filter looks like.

This is one reason why I do all my own oil changes. It is really easy on most cars (especially the Fit) and I know it is done right.

By the way, according to your owner's manual, the oil filter is only changed EVERY OTHER oil change. Personally, I would change the filter every time, but if I was using a Fram Ultra filter, I could go two oil changes easy on the Fit.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondu
By the way, according to your owner's manual, the oil filter is only changed EVERY OTHER oil change. Personally, I would change the filter every time
I agree with this.
I know Honda wants to be a friend to the environment, but I always insisted that my filter be changed every oil change.
Just not worth IMO pushing the filter so long. Especially if I'm going by the maintenance minder, and going with longer oil change intervals.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 PM
I would say they're claiming it doesn't have to be changed each time. Not that it shouldn't be changed except every other time.

I don't know anybody who'd do an oil change and not bother to change the filter. It's easy, it costs just a few dollars and the filter itself contains some oil.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I would say they're claiming it doesn't have to be changed each time. Not that it shouldn't be changed except every other time.
That distinction is a bit nebulous isn't it?

Having said that, I had the oil changed at more than one Honda Dealership with my 2010, and all of them ignored the "Oil Only" stage and replaced the filter every time.

I think they were happy to sell me one.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Nobody doing all the work of an oil change would leave on the old filter with 1/4 of the oil still in it. I can't imagine why Honda would recommend not bothering to change the filter every oil change except maybe they really really don't think it's necessary.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Nobody doing all the work of an oil change would leave on the old filter with 1/4 of the oil still in it. I can't imagine why Honda would recommend not bothering to change the filter every oil change except maybe they really really don't think it's necessary.
1/4 of what? The oil sump, don't think so. If you look at the OM, changing oil without changing the filter is 0.2 quart (3.6 quarts vs 3.8 quarts) or ~5% or so.

Using a high mileage synthetic media oil filter (like the Fram Ultra) would be good for two oil changes (or 15,000 miles or so). If you go to BITOG, there are a lot of people that leave their oil filters on for multiple oil changes.

One advantage of not changing the oil filter is no "dry" starts, since your oil system takes some time to fill the new oil filter after a change. Less dry starts, means less engine wear.

Like I said, I have always changed my filter with an oil change, but the Honda engineers say you don't need to for your Fit. There is plenty of science behind not needing to change the oil filter every time, so it is not that crazy to follow the Fit OM. The main caveat being you have to use a very good oil filter to follow this regimen.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
I don't have faith in their quantities. My 2010 always took 4 quarts to fill with filter change, never 3.8.

And I think the filter held more than 0.2 qts. Seemed that way when I dumped it out into the drip pan.

Of course one could empty the filter and put it back on the car anyway.

Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have faith in their quantities. My 2010 always took 4 quarts to fill with filter change, never 3.8.

And I think the filter held more than 0.2 qts. Seemed that way when I dumped it out into the drip pan.

Of course one could empty the filter and put it back on the car anyway.
One look at a standard oil filter (~3.5" long and ~2.7" diameter) and it is pretty easy to see it cannot hold much more than ~1/4 quart, so I think the OM is pretty accurate. Maybe 1/3 might be possible, but the oil filter is not an empty drinking glass. It is packed full of filter media, ADBV, support tube, relief valve, etc.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
What was the % of the maintenance minder when you got it? 100%? If it was changed at the dealer it would be 100%. if it's around 60%, they probably didn't change the oil (even though I would think they would). Is the Vehicle a Certified pre-owned Honda?

~SB