2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warranty, etc...

Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Post Warranty, etc...

Hi everyone!

We just saw our new BBP Sport Fit las night. It is gorgeous! My husband was a little concerned about the paint color when it was still dirty from the delivery truck, but all shined up he agreed it looked awesome, and we could stop waiting for the BSP.

We got all the paperwork out of the way last night, and left it for them to tint today. We'll get it for good later this evening. I've never had a new car before and I was fairly confused by the "warranty" options I saw last night.

I'm skeptical of anything that happens the finance office (we had our loan ready to go before we walked in the door.) In the end we signed up for the paint and interior protection (about $500) the car care service plan (about $700) and the road hazard tire protection (tossed in for free with the service plan).

Now that I am looking at them like a rational person, I'm having some second thoughts (at least 2 of 3 I can cancel without penalty, I'll have to ask about the paint.)

I have read all over these forums about the paint issues some people have, and I wanted to avoid paying for those. It doesn't seem like this plan covers the chipping bumper problem, or anything else that is peeling or cracking though. It will cover fading and powdering, and here in sunny south Texas, those are real concerns.

I went with the care care service for the no hassle oil changes etc. I did a quick mental calculation and estimated my out of pocket would be $500, over 5 years. When I realized Hondas are really well-built cars and I would need an oil change only very 5,000...it's maybe not the best deal. On a side note, I am a firm believer that changing my oil myself is the best, but it isn't feasible where we live now--it has to be done at a shop.

I don't care about the tire plan, it was just added in.

What do people think about these warranties? Have you declined them all? Have you selected more than we did?

We got a straight deal on the car: MSRP, free floor mats, tinting at cost...I like this dealership and our salesperson. We've been waiting for two months for this car to get here, I don't want to be swindled on the warranties.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate your thoughts!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Usually, paint protection is simply wax, and interior protection is simply Scotch Guard. They're ripping you off. I would definitely remove this item.

As far as extended warranty, if you plan on having the car from way past the factory warranty (powertrain warranty is 6yrs/70,000) it may be worth it to you. But in my recent experience with so many rattle issues or other mechanical issues with my Hondas, a lot of the time the dealer will say they can't duplicate the problem, or "It's normal". So warranty hasn't done much for me recently.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I always decline ANY extended warranty for anything.

In the long run, you will save money if you take that approach. Yes, you might wish you had it for something, but you have to look at the long term approach.

Keep in mind that it is a gamble. You are gambling that you will have a problem and they are gambling that you won't. Plus they have the advantage of knowing how much they spend covering claims and set their fees accordingly. They are in the business of making money, so their fees are set to cover expenses and claims plus leave a nice chunk for profit. If you choose not to buy extended warranties, then essentially you are saving the expenses and profit by paying your own claims. The odds are far and away in your favor over time.

IMHO, I'd rather keep that money in my pocket and pay my own way. Over the years I have had only a couple of occasions where I would have benefited from an extended warranty. And none of those cases related to cars.

In the long run, they WILL make money and you WILL lose money if you buy into extended warranties. They are a business, after all.

Of course, JMO.

Last edited by TheSaint; 10-09-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I definitely agree it is always a gamble. The paint one is the only one that I'm really interested in keeping, because they will re-paint if it fades in the sun and they will re-upholster if I catch my keys on the seat. (Of course I've never actually done that, but I've never had a car in new condition either.) I think dropping the other two is probably the right way to go.

Thanks for the opinions, it's good to hear from the knowledgeable and experienced crowd

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
warranties

The interior and exterior "protection" (protecting the dealership's profits) you should lose if you can. The extended warranties can be gotten much cheaper online from dealerships that specialize in such things. Is an extended warranty worth it? Do machines break? Are you going to own the fit after Honda's warranty is over? How much faith in Honda or any mfr. do you have? All up to you!

Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned
In my case, when buying my '07 Fit for cash, I opted to buy the paint and upholstery protection. The paint protection is a sealer that guarantees that the paint won't be stained by bird droppings or tree sap, both of which are of great concern when the car is parked under redwood trees as mine is. The paint and interior protection is guaranteed for five years, and I will return to the dealer for a no-charge reapplication of both when the car is 2 1/2 years of age.

I have seen MANY splatters of redwood sap and bird crap, all of which washed off, with no residue, even after days baking in the sun. I have not had anything spill or leave spots on the seats yet, but was told that the interior protection material is not mere Scotch Gard. You might want to get a VERY clear explanation of what your dealer is offering in his extra cost coatings, and get the statement in writing (maybe in their brochure) that paint stains will be cured with a complete paint job (I have that guarantee). Nothing stops chipping other than various "clear bra" films, and those only prevent chips from impact.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheSaint
I always decline ANY extended warranty for anything.

In the long run, you will save money if you take that approach. Yes, you might wish you had it for something, but you have to look at the long term approach.

Keep in mind that it is a gamble. You are gambling that you will have a problem and they are gambling that you won't. Plus they have the advantage of knowing how much they spend covering claims and set their fees accordingly. They are in the business of making money, so their fees are set to cover expenses and claims plus leave a nice chunk for profit. If you choose not to buy extended warranties, then essentially you are saving the expenses and profit by paying your own claims. The odds are far and away in your favor over time.

IMHO, I'd rather keep that money in my pocket and pay my own way. Over the years I have had only a couple of occasions where I would have benefited from an extended warranty. And none of those cases related to cars.

In the long run, they WILL make money and you WILL lose money if you buy into extended warranties. They are a business, after all.

Of course, JMO.
My opinion as well. I don't want to jinx myself by saying I've never needed an extended warranty, but.............

If it gives you peace of mind and you can afford it, I see it's value.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
A decent wax should prevent from bird droppings staining the paint... chips are going to happen, just dont follow trucks so closely is my advice (Im bad about this). I would drop the interior protection and the paint protection, but to each his (or her) own.

As far as the warranty, I purchased one since the car will be either mine or my moms for at least 8 years. I dropped my extended warranty when I showed up to close. The guy said it was "his cost" when I signed to get on a wait list; I called him on it at delivery and showed him the cost through the internet, he said he cant get close and I should cancel his deal to take the internet deal. He didnt give me any grief or push, just pulled it off, we signed, and I took my car.

I ended up paying 805 for a 0 deductable 7 year 120K plan through Saccucci (http://www.myhondawarranty.com/). Paid online and in under a week had the document in hand.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
i turned everything down. the dealer includes a lifetime powertrain on all of their new cars for free.

hopefully i wont regret not extending the bumper-to-bumper warranty, but i might trade it in for the new insight next spring anyways

how much was the tint job at cost?

Last edited by BlackUp; 10-09-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Be sure to post pictures of your BBP, there are so few shots of them.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
In the end I kept the paint protection and ditched the rest. I wouldn't have lost any sleep over the paint probably, but it is "swarming bird" season now...and I either park where my inconsiderate neighbors will ding my doors, or under a tree full of birds. I think in the end it was the best solution for me.

At cost the tint was $205, and I have to say it looks gorgeous. I only have so-so night pictures right now, but I will take some good ones this weekend and post.

Since I do intend to keep this car for as long as it lasts, I'm considering purchasing an EW online. Looks like some prices are fairly reasonable, and since it starts from the date of purchase, it doesn't sound like there's anything to be gained by waiting til my 3 years is up. In case anybody's interested, these are the prices I have found online for Honda Care zero deductible 96 months/120,000 miles:

Delray Acura: $1820 for an '08 Fit, with a 20-35% discount if I will just click here hmmmm
Curry: $1165
Saccucci : $890 (I had that wrong when I first posted this)
Bernardi: $890
Hyannis: $890

College Hills quoted me $1265 over the phone.

Unless anyone has bad experiences they're willing to share I think Saccucci has my vote right now.

Last edited by Phyt; 10-10-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM
details

Originally Posted by Phyt
Bernardi: $890
Unless anyone has bad experiences they're willing to share I think Saccucci has my vote right now.
IF the $890 price is for an 8 yr/120K/0$ deductible then that's exactly what I paid and it worked out fine. I've never heard of Saccucci but that doesn't mean they're bad. It just means I've not heard of them.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
I just skimmed over the answers, but I would suggest to forget the paint warranty and look into the clear bra.