1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help! Paint chipping and dealer problems!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Help! Paint chipping and dealer problems!

I have some paint chipping on the quarter panel behind the passenger back door of my 2008 Honda Fit. Went to the dealership and the warranty guy said it was covered under the warranty.

The warranty guy brought it to the body shop, which is owned by Honda. I got a call telling me the reason the paint was chipping was because the quarter panel or "dog leg" was pushed in due to an accident. I freaked out (no pun intended). I haven't been in any accident and there is no damage at all to that side of the car! You can't even see the where the paint is chipping unless you open the back door. Furthermore, the back door opens and shuts beautifully. All I did was have winter tires installed on my car, and now this.

Needless to say, the dealership says this isn't covered under warranty and as such the bodyshop has given me a preliminary estimate of $900.00 Canadian for the repair. I'm going to get other opinions, but I'm very disappointed with Honda.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? Does anybody know if this problem could have been caused by the tire installation, considering the car doors were never opened?

Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
You're gonna have to get tougher and stay there. Put their feet to the fire - insist that your car has had no accidents and that you will go up the chain and complain all the way up.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
^^^ What he said.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
yes complain to corporate if the car indeed has not been in an accident. are you the first owner of the car?

unfortunately the part where honda cheaped out on is on the car's paint. its as thin as it could be. just to give you an idea BMW paint thickness is almost twice of honda cars.
toyota has had problems with paing peeling off bumpers before so i guess u get a reliable engine but unreliable paint with japanese cars.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by wrussi
yes complain to corporate if the car indeed has not been in an accident. are you the first owner of the car?

unfortunately the part where honda cheaped out on is on the car's paint. its as thin as it could be. just to give you an idea BMW paint thickness is almost twice of honda cars.
toyota has had problems with paing peeling off bumpers before so i guess u get a reliable engine but unreliable paint with japanese cars.
I agree that what it is..so keep bringing that fight to their doorstep