2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Fog light Operation

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
HOW TO: Fog Light Mod. Run Foglights Separate From Headlights. Use as DRL's.: Pathfinder Forum / QX4 Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

this puts a radio shack relay, then uses power from the A/C to allow the fogs to be independent and auto off when you pull out the key.

you guys should be able to adapt it... right?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I see ESWS, Sub something, Chief (can't see rate)...

Care to elaborate? (it's been a long time)

BT3(SW)
USS IOWA BB61
The Veteran
Sub Service, ETC (Nuclear) (Electronics Technician)
16 years, on deployment currently.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
Sub Service, ETC (Nuclear) (Electronics Technician) 16 years, on deployment currently.
Hey... I would thank you for your mod, but a much larger and more important thank you is in order:

Thank you for your service for me, and to your country. There are no words to adequately describe how grateful I am to you for your sacrifice! What you do allows me and my wife to sleep safely in our bed at night.

I don't envy you for the domestic circumstances in which you must now serve ... but that's makes you the more special and selfless for putting up with it... for and in the defense of your country.

Once again, from my wife and I...

... Thank you for your service/sacrifice. We ALL owe you... BIG TIME! Oh and, thanks for the foglight mod!

"Non sibi sed patriae"

"Anchor's Away," my friend!
Salute!

Last edited by guitar_trance; 10-19-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 PM
i just did this mod along with zalthras's mod for cutting the grey and splicing into the green...and it works! having the foglights come on with the parking lights and not having to worry about forgetting about turning the fogs on is great.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Zalthras
sorry for bumping an old thread but,

I didn't like leaving that part unfinished so I figured out the rest of the mod.

I prefer having the foglights depend on the on/off status of the parking lights

here's the wiring diagram so you get an idea of what's going on, the orange highlighted is Roger's Fit portion, the green highlighted is what you need to do to shut off the fogs when parking lights are turned off.

While you have the steering column cover removed, go ahead and remove the headlight stalk as well by removing the harness connector and these two screws.

On the headlight stalk, pop these 4 clips, but becareful after doing one side the cover likes to fly off into oblivion.

What you'll see is this, locate the green and gray wires.

Cut and tap like so.

Now the foglights can only turn on if you have at least the parking lights on, therefore retaining an audible reminder if you leave it on after parking & shutting off the car.
OK... is this in addition to the mod in the original post, or is this an alternative plan, working exclusively through the wiring in the switchgear?

And BTW guys, AWESOME!

What kind of moron would design foglights that can ONLY be used with headlights? The whole point of fogs is to use a lower light beam that cuts under the fog, rather than having the headlights creating glare. As installed OEM, the fog-lights can ONLY create more glare!

(It's been 10 years since I took an electronics class and had to actually read a wiring diagram. I maxed out the electronics section of the ASVAB back then. I don't think I could pull that off now. )

Last edited by Occam; 11-26-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 AM
You do that additionally to the original post. works like a charm.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 90 DGRZ
i just did this mod along with zalthras's mod for cutting the grey and splicing into the green...and it works! having the foglights come on with the parking lights and not having to worry about forgetting about turning the fogs on is great.
glad to have helped.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Great Mod!! Thanks for everything!!! +1

Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
roger and zalthras. you guys are awesome.

a question, though...zalthras, you state that doing your mod will allow the audible alert to remain when you're in the parking light position. now i did roger's and your mod but i'm not getting the audible alert unless i'm in full on headlights on mode. i actually don't remember if my car ever gave me an audible alert in parking light mode? if some of you other folks who have done both mods can chime in, i'd appreciate the feedback.

again, thanks a lot for your knowledge guys!!! even if i never get an audible alert in parking light mode, these manual controls for the lights are really great.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
roger and zalthras. you guys are awesome.

a question, though...zalthras, you state that doing your mod will allow the audible alert to remain when you're in the parking light position. now i did roger's and your mod but i'm not getting the audible alert unless i'm in full on headlights on mode. i actually don't remember if my car ever gave me an audible alert in parking light mode? if some of you other folks who have done both mods can chime in, i'd appreciate the feedback.

again, thanks a lot for your knowledge guys!!! even if i never get an audible alert in parking light mode, these manual controls for the lights are really great.
Yea, I had audible reminder both before and after the mod (with Parking Lights On and Door Open with/without foglights switched on). Keep in mind that the wire harness color labels in the wiring diagram I posted are NOT the same as the wiring colors inside the switch. But if you cut and tap the gray into the green inside the switch like I show in the picture, then it should work.

After doing the mods, do your foglights functionally work as expected? If they do, then I'd have to look at your wiring job to tell if something's wrong or maybe your car is just weird .

Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Zalthras
Yea, I had audible reminder both before and after the mod (with Parking Lights On and Door Open with/without foglights switched on). Keep in mind that the wire harness color labels in the wiring diagram I posted are NOT the same as the wiring colors inside the switch. But if you cut and tap the gray into the green inside the switch like I show in the picture, then it should work.

After doing the mods, do your foglights functionally work as expected? If they do, then I'd have to look at your wiring job to tell if something's wrong or maybe your car is just weird .
they function just like you said they would. minus the chime in the parking light position. weird, i'm pretty sure i didn't mss a step. the chime is there when i'm in headlight position, though. maybe my car IS just weird. no big deal, though. i just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same experiences as me.

...and again, big thanks. great write up!

Last edited by neil patrick harris; 03-15-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
I have tried both, Zalthras's and Roger's, mod but only Roger's worked. When I tried doing Zalthras's mod the result that i got was as if i never did anything. I still have to turn the lights all the way to lowbeam before i get the foglights to come on. so i'm wondering what could i have done wrong?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hello_you1
I have tried both, Zalthras's and Roger's, mod but only Roger's worked. When I tried doing Zalthras's mod the result that i got was as if i never did anything. I still have to turn the lights all the way to lowbeam before i get the foglights to come on. so i'm wondering what could i have done wrong?
You did both right. Zalthra's mod places an interlock between the headlights and the fog lights, so that the headlights must be on in order to turn on the fog lights.

The way i had the mod done, the fog lights could come on at any time. Problem was that you could leave them on and run your battery down.

I am going to do the second part of the mod soon.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
You did both right. Zalthra's mod places an interlock between the headlights and the fog lights, so that the headlights must be on in order to turn on the fog lights.

The way i had the mod done, the fog lights could come on at any time. Problem was that you could leave them on and run your battery down.
actually sounds like hello you did do something wrong. zalthra's mod allows you to use your fogs in parking light position w/o having to go all the way into low beam position.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Fixed it thanks you guys

Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Fixed it thanks you guys
New problem: I just went to McDonalds, left the light switch in the fog light position with both the mods done and then the whole battery died. Anyone get the same problem?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:03 AM
did you turn your headlight position to off? the mod(s) doesn't automatically turn your lights off for you.

...and our tiny batteries do not hold a lot of energy. be careful or have a portable charger in the hatch like i do.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I must be completely inept, because I need a little handholding here. I have two questions:
  1. How the hell do you remove the relay from the fuse panel. Is there some kind of trick to it? I have been tugging on it and trying to pry under the corners with my nails, and I'm getting nowhere. What am I missing.
  2. Do you put the fork connector in the harness slot with the green wire, or the empty slot next to it?
The back of my hand is cut to hell from trying to get that relay out and scraping my hand on every jagged surface under there.

Please help the village idiot out.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
What kind of moron would design foglights that can ONLY be used with headlights? The whole point of fogs is to use a lower light beam that cuts under the fog, rather than having the headlights creating glare. As installed OEM, the fog-lights can ONLY create more glare!
Exactly the reason I will do this mod soon. This past spring there were a few days where it was snowing so hard on the way to work that I actually had better visibility with only the fog lights on. Of course, I was able to do this because I didn't have my Fit, yet.

If you want to get all technical, the Fit does not have "Fog" lights, but Auxiliary lights. True fog lights are yellow, which causes less glare. HID's and other simulated blue headlights would have even more glare than halogen bulbs making them even worse in poor weather.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Socialvegetable
  1. How the hell do you remove the relay from the fuse panel. Is there some kind of trick to it? I have been tugging on it and trying to pry under the corners with my nails, and I'm getting nowhere. What am I missing.
  2. Do you put the fork connector in the harness slot with the green wire, or the empty slot next to it?
The back of my hand is cut to hell from trying to get that relay out and scraping my hand on every jagged surface under there.
  1. There's no trick, the relay is literally held in by 4 or 5 fat metal spades only. Try a plier.
  2. The 'fork' MUST contact the green wire's metal connector.

neosporin and gloves help with the cuts and cut prevention.

Last edited by Zalthras; 06-12-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Manual Fog light Operation