2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Fog light Operation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
Well Rodge, the resistor did the trick. I knew when you described the problem that it was obvious that the headlamp circuit was backfeeding into the fogs. I used a scotch lock on the combination switch and modified a spade connector so it would fit into the relay cavity, soldering it to the relays' post for good measure. I hate working under the dashes of these tiny cars, so I make sure I only have to do a job once.

so what type of resistor did you use?
do you have any pics so we can see?
also can you describe how it works now
with the resistor in place?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by niko3257
so what type of resistor did you use?
do you have any pics so we can see?
also can you describe how it works now
with the resistor in place?
X2 This would be very usefull for us peoplez` that like to use Crayons

Old 12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, here goes. I said resistor earlier, which is sortof an improper term for the component I used - if you want to nitpick. A diode allows current to flow in only one direction, unless you go over the specs of the diode will it then allow reverse currents.

The combination switch in our Fits use a common ground. The best I can tell is that when we bypassed the foglight relay control that the MICU provides, the headlight circuit was shunting current through the fog relay - thus keeping the magnetic field closed - keeping the relay "on" when we turned the switch off.

Placing a diode in series on our wire bypass blocks this shunt. I used just a normal 1n4005 diode that anyone can buy at Rat Shack. If you hook the diode up backwards it won't hurt anything in this application, but it won't allow your fogs to come on at will. When you buy them, you'll notice a little white band around the component. This band needs to be pointing away from the switch end of your circuit (in reference to the diode it's self).

Old 12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Did anyone look into what I posted earlier? G2IC: Teg Tips It would be way easier and you only have to clip 1 or 2 wires. If I had a Fit I would look into it but the dealership won't let me crawl under the dash.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Anywhere to get these schematics? I had it working like this by trial and error - didn't really consider it a solution due to the above problem. Didn't think of the diode idea. I'd like to figure out a way to have them work only with running lights.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 AM
i followed ur instructions to the T! only thing i did different was i put a small zip tie on the wire with the spade connector to hold it with the harness to keep it from coming loose, which is what happend the first time i tried it. worked like a charm! thanks Roger's Fit!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
just did mine today with the diode also.
work great.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
Give me a day or two. I think i have this figured out and can fix for less than $1.
Ok. The fix is inserted into the original post. I don't know about using the resistor, but a diode works, and you still do not have to cut into the original wiring.

The fixes the issue where you cannot turn off the fog lights when the headlights are on.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by umop-apisdn
When you buy them, you'll notice a little white band around the component. This band needs to be pointing away from the switch end of your circuit (in reference to the diode it's self).
I think you have told them incorrectly. The diode's band needs to be towards the switch. I have it in now and it works that way.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I finally did it today... works great, probably the easiest electrical mod I've done yet....

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Great mod.

OK.. Dumb and Surely a repeat question, but can the fogs be set to cut off when the car is cut off instead of always on?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
wow seems like an easy mod =) *thumbs up*

I think im gonna try to do this as soon as i have time xD

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Good question

Originally Posted by DragonRail
Great mod.

OK.. Dumb and Surely a repeat question, but can the fogs be set to cut off when the car is cut off instead of always on?
I can't recall if it's been repeated but that is a good question I would also like to know the answer to.

Or if the fogs don't turn off with the car, maybe a connection to the same beeping as if you leave your headlights on...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DragonRail
Great mod.

Originally Posted by FitStir
I can't recall if it's been repeated but that is a good question I would also like to know the answer to.

Or if the fogs don't turn off with the car, maybe a connection to the same beeping as if you leave your headlights on...

so far guys no one has figured anything out but what you see and read.
i did it and it works great.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
so far guys no one has figured anything out but what you see and read.
i did it and it works great.
Yeah, mine works great too, I was afraid I would forget the fogs on since they don't shut off with the car, or give off a warning beep.....

but I am getting into the habit of checking both switches are off before leaving the car...

Old 08-14-2009, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I wish that pictures were available in the first post.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

I have a mod to take care of that. I am not home to make the mod

Sorry. It will be a few months.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have a mod to take care of that. I am not home to make the mod

Sorry. It will be a few months.
As I've mentioned before..... You sir, are a genius.

Take your time.

+reps again

Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
foglight dependent on parking lights only (foglight mod part 2)

sorry for bumping an old thread but,
Yeah, mine works great too, I was afraid I would forget the fogs on since they don't shut off with the car, or give off a warning beep...
I didn't like leaving that part unfinished so I figured out the rest of the mod.

I prefer having the foglights depend on the on/off status of the parking lights
Name:  GE8NorthAmericasemi-independentfogl.gif
Views: 2482
Size:  10.0 KB

here's the wiring diagram so you get an idea of what's going on, the orange highlighted is Roger's Fit portion, the green highlighted is what you need to do to shut off the fogs when parking lights are turned off.

While you have the steering column cover removed, go ahead and remove the headlight stalk as well by removing the harness connector and these two screws.

On the headlight stalk, pop these 4 clips, but becareful after doing one side the cover likes to fly off into oblivion.

What you'll see is this, locate the green and gray wires.

Cut and tap like so.

Now the foglights can only turn on if you have at least the parking lights on, therefore retaining an audible reminder if you leave it on after parking & shutting off the car.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
FOR THE 09 FIT

I have modified this post, and took a try at writing my own web page. You can access this mod here:

Independent Fog Lights for the 2009 Honda Fit

I see ESWS, Sub something, Chief (can't see rate)...

Care to elaborate? (it's been a long time)

BT3(SW)
USS IOWA BB61
The Veteran

Quick Reply: Manual Fog light Operation