2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY GE8 Condenser Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
DIY GE8 Condenser Replacement

I figure there's probably going to be at least a few of you who are going to run into this problem based on how crappy Honda condensers are as i've learned recently.

See here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...replacing.html

and here:
Honda Lawsuit

I just replaced my condenser myself in about 1/2hr today with a friend and took some pics. Hopefully it will save some of you from getting ripped by the dealer. I ordered the condenser from Majestic Honda for about $263 shipped. Probably about another $100 for a professional recharge. Dealer quoted me $850 to do all this.

Tools needed:
Phillips screwdriver
Flat blade screwdriver (thinner the better to remove trim clips)
10mm wrench and /or 10mm deep socket & wrench

Step 1 - Underhood Trim Removal
Remove underhood trim by removing the 8 trim clips pictured. Pop up the center of each clip with the flat blade screwdriver and then remove. Once all clips are removed then pop up the trim piece and set aside.

Step 2 - Bumper Removal
Remove 4 screws and 7 clips on the underside of bumper. Ignore the clips that run immediately behind the vertical lip near the front underside of the bumper.

Remove one screw from each side of the bumper where it meets the fender.

After all mentioned screws and trim clips have been removed start at either side of bumper (this is easier if you have someone help you on the opposite side) and pull the bumper off the mounting clips. The bumper will "snap" off the clips. Pull gently not to break the tabs on the bumper. Once the sides are loose pull the whole bumper straight forward away from the car to undo the front tabs.

With bumper pulled away from car unplug the fog light harnesses if so equipped. Set the bumper on the grass or somewhere safe to prevent scratches.

Step 3 - Condenser Removal - ONLY ATTEMPT IF YOUR CONDENSER IS ALREADY DEPRESSURIZED AS MINE WAS
The condenser is only held on by two upper bolts pictured below and then two nuts that attach the refrigerant pipes to the left side of the condenser

Start by removing the plastic shield located on the lower left side of the condenser. Pop the 3 trim clips and then remove the shield to gain access to the lower refrigerant pipe nut.

Undo the two bolts that hold the refrigerant pipes to the condensor (one on the upper pipe and one on the lower pipe). You will need the 10mm wrench or socket (whichever is easier for you).

Now undo the top two bolts that mount the condensor brackets to the car's structure.

Once all those nuts have been removed the old condenser can be removed. Lift the old condensor out and swap all the rubber mounts and brackets over to the new condenser.

Carefully reinsert the new condenser back into the engine compartment being careful not to damage any fins on the condenser. Wipe down the refrigerant lines where they will attach to the condenser to prevent any sand/dirt from getting inside. Once clean remove the protective covers on the new condensers openings and reattach to refrigerant lines.

Reattach refrigerant line bolts and then upper mounting bolts that hold the condenser to car frame. Reattach the little plastic shield near the lower left side of the condenser using 3 trim clips.

Bring bumper to front of car and reattach the fog lights. Follow the bumper removal instructions to reattach front bumper again.

Hopefully this will save some of you a few hundred bucks the dealer might otherwise try to milk from you. I am taking it in to an acquaintance to have the system vacuumed/recharged so unfortunately I don't have a DIY for that.

-Ed

Last edited by ec8r; 04-06-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
thats nice.
hopefully i will never need to do mine.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
So R U going to install a mesh or grille to protect it? I am going to install a mesh this coming weekend.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Good DIY! But the mesh grille is just as important otherwise you will be doing this again.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, I didn't have the mesh on hand that day but now have some. Just got the system recharged today and will install some mesh this weekend hopefully.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Where did you source your mesh?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mholbrook38
Where did you source your mesh?
I got it from eBay

eBay Motors: UNIVERSAL ALUMINUM CAR MESH GRILL KIT 6x36" grille body (item 180344237576 end time Apr-09-09 13:19:40 PDT)

Old 07-10-2010, 02:55 AM
hmmm, my condenser recently was damaged from a rock aswell, took it to the dealer they wanted almost $700 for the part and replace, it blew my mind how they can make a blatant error like this, and not hold themselves accountable, after reading this im strongly encouraging myself to do the replace myself, would you recommend any other sights but majestic, 263$ is a bit rough.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Palm Beach
hmmm, my condenser recently was damaged from a rock aswell, took it to the dealer they wanted almost $700 for the part and replace, it blew my mind how they can make a blatant error like this, and not hold themselves accountable, after reading this im strongly encouraging myself to do the replace myself, would you recommend any other sights but majestic, 263$ is a bit rough.

try rockauto type in the Honda part#80110-TK6-A01(part number was taken from bernardiparts anyone can double check) they have two different brands you can choose from and both are way under the $263 also it shows that it comes with a new receiver.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
is this place reliable?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I've ordered ball joints and control arms from them before with no problems.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
$81.57 for condenser here

Originally Posted by Palm Beach

2009 Honda Fit CONDENSER

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Strong work OP...+rep given.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Hello I am looking to buy a lower bumper grilles ( billet) or not I need this for a 2008 Honda Fit SPORT all the ones I find say will not fit sport model.HELP PLEASE do anyone now where I can get one to fit the 2008 Fit Sport!!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Well I dug 22 stones out of my condenser last night.My car is 26 months old I guess I got luck on real holes leaking.Fun thing every makes all these grille covers & mesh grilles for BASE FIT & not one thing for the SPORT model.This is very strange has any one ever taken the front bumper off sport model.It does not look anything like the base setup.