2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Minder/Dealer Angst

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Maintenance Minder/Dealer Angst

Okay, this is NOT a big deal. But here's what happened. About little over a month ago, I finally dropped below the 15% on my maintenance minder Oil life, and I got the code for the oil change and the tire rotation. It's was around 6300 miles on the odometer. So I made an appointment at the Dealership to have the the maintenance minder codes addressed. Which according to my reading of the codes meant Oil Change and Tire Rotation. I bring it in, they do it, they give me a "Free First Oil Change"...no big deal, all is well....

Except for today I happen to look at my invoice and discover that they changed the Oil and Filter BUT the Technician determined "No Tire Rotatation Was Needed At This Time". So my tires were never rotated.

Okay, so actually I'm fine with that. I even agree, I think 5000-6000 mile tire rotations are overkill. On my old vehicle, I rotated the tires about once a year.

But on the other hand? The maintenance minder and evidently Honda's recommendation says...change the oil and rotate the tires....NOT change the oil and determine if the tires should be rotated.

Just wondering if other Fit owners have had similar experience with the first Maintenance Minder service.

This is a Honda Dealership. What good is it to have a maintenance minder, if they are going to randomly impose what they feel it means, or what they feel should be done?

Like I said, it really doesn't bother me too much, the tires are in good shape all around, I monitor them pretty close. I even agree that a rotation was not immediately visibly necessary...but it does bother me that I brought the vehicle in for those codes...only to have the dealership do what THEY wanted to do, and reset the minder.

Seems to me, if you are going to follow the "letter" of the Maintenance Minder...then Honda should of rotated the tires.

Last edited by fitchet; 10-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I think they should have rotated them for you if the maintenance minder said to do so but dealerships can be funny like that. If it bothers you to bad why not rotate them yourself?

Manny

Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Fituation
I think they should have rotated them for you if the maintenance minder said to do so but dealerships can be funny like that. If it bothers you to bad why not rotate them yourself?

Manny
Thanks, but like I said, it doesn't really bother me as I think I actually agree that a rotation was not necessary. My point in question, and my mistake, was I assumed a Honda Dealership, when a vehicle was brought in to address displayed codes on the maintenance minder WOULD do the recommended service....not apply their subjective evaluation.

And I was more or less wondering if this was common. If other Fit owners found their dealerships NOT rotating the tires with the first code? My mistake for assuming they would or did rotate the tires, even though I know they knew the codes were for the Oil Change and a Rotation because it says as much on the invoice and I verbally told them.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Just had my first MM service a week or so ago. They rotated the tires and recorded the tread life on each one on the service slip I was given. I was charged $20 for the rotation and the oil change was free.

Did your dealer at least do that part, that is record the tread depth for each tire?

The numbers on mine were .7 fronts .8 rears. If not I'm thinking they're shorting you a bit on what the service should include.

If things were even there is no reason to rotate, unless they charge you for it and don't do it.

Now possibly my dealer was happy to charge me for the rotation to cover the cost of the oil??? I'm not too worried because I got the tires rotated.