2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Exclamation Steering wheel vibration

Hi, since I have my 2009 fit DX, I can feel some vibration at the steering wheel. Not something big, but annoying enough when doing a long distance.

The vibration happens at any speed. Even when the car is not moving when turning the steering wheel. When I turn the steering more than 45 degrees in a continuous motion, I can feel small torque bumps.

I made some tests, I drove the car at 60km/h on new pavement and put the ignition off, no engine, no power steering, in neutral position. The vibration was there and peaked when the steering wheel reach 45 degree. I tested also with the car "On", no engine but with the power steering, the problem was still there, I think I can exclude the engine from the problem.

The vibration is also present (but less present) when driving the car strait at highway speed, which is very tiring for the hand.

Do somebody else experience this kind of problem ? Do you have any clues to solve it ?

Thank you.
Mathieu

Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Have you checked to see if your rims are tightened all the way? I've experienced similar symptoms with lugnuts that aren't all the way tightened down.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a simple imbalance of the wheels. Have you checked for wheel balance?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
anything done recently on your car that might be related?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Exclamation Steering wheel vibration

I just checked, and the bolts were tightened.

I doubt that is is the wheel balance because it happen at any speed... I will ask to have my wheels balanced again just to make sure.

I can also add that when I went to my dealer last time, the mechanic felt the vibration but he wasn't able to find the cause of it.

He then said that it is "normal" to have a not so great driving experience" because the fit is the cheapest Honda product in Canada. Maybe he just told me that because he hadn't found the problem... but still the vibration is annoying.

Mathieu

Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by VanDerMouche

I doubt that is is the wheel balance because it happen at any speed... I will ask to have my wheels balanced again just to make sure.
Is the vibration frequency a function of speed?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VanDerMouche

I can also add that when I went to my dealer last time, the mechanic felt the vibration but he wasn't able to find the cause of it.

He then said that it is "normal" to have a not so great driving experience" because the fit is the cheapest Honda product in Canada. Maybe he just told me that because he hadn't found the problem... but still the vibration is annoying.

Mathieu
Your mechanic is full of shit.

It is not normal. I can't feel any vibrationin mine. Maybe you hit a big pothole and threw out the alignment. Go to any reputable alignment shop or Honda.

P.S. how about those Habs eh.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi again.

I haven't changed anything on the car, but it is doing that since day 1, six month ago...

The vibration is function of speed, and peaks at 50-60km/h, if I understand well this is when the power steering assistance starts to be minimal. But the vibration is more function of the steering wheel angle and the torque required to turn the wheels or to keep them at angle.

When I think about it, maybe it is a loose in the direction system, probably coming from a bad road condition.

I'll go back to another Honda dealer, I heard that all of them will work under warranty.

Thank you for your help.
Mathieu

Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
It's most likely balance or a wheel or tire out of round. My RSX had 3 tires out of round from the factory. Unbelievable. Then, My Accord had this shimmy that many others experienced. It supposedly was recently diagnosed as something to do with the steering system. It only took Honda 3 years to figure it out, and I dunno if they actually resolved any of the issues. I sold my Accord 2 years ago with the issue unresolved.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Get an alignment

Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Have your tires and wheels checked for runout (out of round condition). A slightly bent rim or tire belt separation can cause what you describe. It's usually caused by impact with a pothole or other road hazard. If you know that you didn't hit something then it could be a warranty issue but it's difficult to get coverage on tires or wheels.

Last edited by Virtual; 11-10-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
It sounds as though you are experiencing two separate issues. The first occurs even when stopped. You turn the wheel and feel something odd around 45 degrees. It could be a bearing in the steering column, a broken gear in the rack, an issue with the EPS (a decent tech with an HDS can check this) or a loose rack, tie rod, ball joint, strut top, etc. You may need to make yourself a pain to your dealer and if necessary call Honda Canada (888-946-6329) for Honda pressure if your car is under warranty.

The second sounds like a wheel/tire issue. Algnment will make a car pull, the wheel be off center or a tire wear wrong but not usually shake. Balance, a tire construction issue or a wheel problem are more likely. A good balance with an eye on the wheel/tire while it spins should find the issue.