Universal Android Rear View Mirror (RT01) DVR

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Universal Android Rear View Mirror (RT01) DVR

Hello from the Philippines.

I’ve been a member of fitfreak for quite a while now. I’ve gotten a lot of useful information here so it’s time for me to give something back.

Where I’m from, my country has been experiencing a sharp increase in economic activity for the past 5 years and unfortunately one of the side effects is increased traffic. It’s gotten really bad beginning 2013 because the lack of a good public transport system meant those who had the means just bought cars further aggravating the issue.

Just this past 12 months, my Honda Jazz GE was involved in multiple collisions and all of them not caused by me nor other drivers in my family. Drivers in my country are generally not very law abiding to begin with so stuffing more of us year on year on already congested roads made me realize I had to do something to reduce the aggravation with dealing with future accidents which may occur.

I’ve decided that a dash camera was what I needed as it has proven to be a good way for car owners to protect themselves in accidents or even situations where one’s car can be damaged when parked in public spaces.
I did the research and my choices seemed to narrow to the following choices;

1. Aftermarket Head unit with DVR functions.
2. Dedicated Dashboard Camera accessory (single/dual lens)
3. Android based Rearview Mirror w/ DVR

The first option (Aftermarket Head unit) did not appeal to me for the following reasons;

1. Quality Head units are priced between US$300 to US$1000 that have DVR capability.
2. Requires the purchase of a dash kit to replace the stock console/radio.
3. I actually like the stock radio of my Honda. The GE model head unit’s design actually complements the entire look while a square rectangle head unit with a touchscreen doesn’t look natural.

The second option (Dedicated Dashboard Camera accessory) provided all the basic functions I need and generally these units have the best optics if one budgets properly (not too cheap, not to pricey).
Of these the Mini 0806 was my choice and I was prepared to buy one already.
However when I found one, I was given an option by my chosen seller in my location to try the third option which is the focus of the review.

Universal android mirror w/ GPS Navigation System Dash Reverse Rear Camera

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  60.0 KB

This is a relatively recent entry into the market. Basically it’s a android tablet built into a rear view mirror. You mount it on your vehicle’s existing rear view mirror and run the needed wires for the rear camera and it records video from front and rear cameras every time you turn the ignition or when set up properly when the unit detects movement of the vehicle when parked.

What drew me to try this out versus the dedicated dash camera was the additional things it could do like;

1. GPS Navigation – No need to use my smartphone.
2. FM transmitter to allow sound from the unit to be routed to your car’s built-in head unit or factory stereo.
3. Radar detector – Good for our highways that have them.
4. Ability to run other Google Android apps.
5. Wifi capable. It can connect to the internet using your smartphone.

The price of the unit was similar to the mini0806, which is generally considered to be a good performer but only had a front camera with excellent image quality.

I took the plunge and got it.

It was simple enough to install, just attach the mirror to your existing car’s rear view mirror. It attached quite firmly. I then did the work to install the rear camera wiring routing it between the roof’s liner to the tailgate. I chose not to install the rear camera to the outside of the car as I wanted to first give it a try and I think will last longer than exposed to the elements.

Where I did deviate is to not use the supplied cigarette lighter power adapter. I like my car to be clean with no cluttered wires so I bought a simple 12V to USB adapter. I wired the 12V to USB adapter to the car’s existing cigarette lighter behind the dashboard to ensure the power Is still fused and only provides power when the ignition is on.

I've tried the unit for a week and it works well for the most part.

However, depending where you purchase it, you may get firmware that may NOT include Google Play to add apps to the stock unit. These units were made in China so in that country, they don't allow it.

The good news is that I've found like minded people who also purchased this unit and have collaborated with them to tinker with it and allow potential owners the ability to install firmware that has Google Play.

You can catch up with us here;

External Links: Android reversing mirror model rt01 - XDA Forums

The only problem I see so far is that if you leave your vehicle parked for long periods, the battery of the unit may run down. I could probably install a USB battery pack like what we use on cellphones but generally I do not trust these Li-Ion packs and may cause a fire (like the Dreamliner fiasco).

Personally, I like it so far because I use Waze for my navigation as it provides real-time traffic information (vital in dense urban traffic situations) and have Spotify running in my car. I no longer need to keep my USB flash drive for my music updated when I add songs.

This is how it looks installed in a Honda GE Jazz (Fit)
Name:  IMG_1736.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  198.4 KB

I installed Waze using Google Play on it.
Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  285.1 KB

Spotify to keep my updated on the best music while in traffic.
Name:  IMG_1738.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  351.7 KB

All-in-all, a cheaper cleaner alternative to a pricey Android Head Unit without changing the design of the dashboard of the Honda Jazz

Installation Pictures;

This is the GPS Antenna mounted to the portion of the dashboard nearest the windshield.
Name:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  171.1 KB

This is the image of the 12V to USB port. The red/black wire is tapped into the existing Cigarette Lighter wire below the radio so it's fused.
Name:  IMG_1461.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  185.7 KB

A closer image of the USB port. That actually can mount to the dashboard but kinda useless if I have USB port exposed with something in it 100% of the time so I chose to hide it.
Name:  IMG_1743.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  148.1 KB

This is the wire from the rear camera connected to the reverse bulb on the tail light so that when you put the car into reverse, the mirror automatically shifts to rear camera view with grid lines to help you back-out.
Name:  IMG_1745.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  361.7 KB

Another view of how the rear camera is routed to reach the mirror unit in the front.
Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  213.0 KB

You have to remove the door weatherstrip to reach the plastic mouldings in the cabin to route the wire.
Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  257.4 KB

This is the rear camera. I just double sided it to the 3rd brake light (for now)
Name:  IMG_1744.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  322.0 KB

Last edited by dave_d; 07-26-2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added install pictures
Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 AM
My reason to buy this item same like you
For recording and gps especially using waze
But my problem gps wont lock my location
Iam just want to know before upgrading firmware
does the gps working?
Not sure if I want to upgrade because mine has already google play

thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
My GPS is working fine.

you may have a problem with the antenna or with the mirror itself if it doesn't work even with attempting to change firmware.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by dave_d
My GPS is working fine.

you may have a problem with the antenna or with the mirror itself if it doesn't work even with attempting to change firmware.
I guess so.
So your GPS is working without WiFi enable?
May I know what chipset you have?
Mine A20.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-16-2016, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Looks similar.

However after owning it for awhile now I can NOT recommend it.

The battery in the unit does not last long so after a couple of months the battery drain isn't enough to keep it powered after letsay leaving the car in the parking lot for 8-10 hours.

I COULD hard wire it to the battery to keep it charging but having China Li-ION batteries in the cabin charging could cause a fire (think Hoverboards).

I am planning to take it apart and see if I can find better batteries for it (it's already out of warranty) so for now look for something else.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
well that sucks to hear... i was set on getting it with all the features it had.